• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 08 800 dragon build

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Well All summer as I was going I wasn't sure if it would "fit" into this forum, but here she is anyway. I'm not done yet, but this is what I have done so far. Ended last season like this.

Sleddingvideos08-10017.jpg

Sleddingvideos08-10016.jpg

Over the summer I did:

Holz -Drop and Roll
-Replaced chain case bearings
-Challenger Extreme 2.5
-Fire and Ice console vents
-Mountain Fit IQR RMK hood
-Mountain fit vent kit
-Polaris IQr windscreen
-USI Triple Threat skis, stage three fins, shaper bars
-Powder coated spindles/rail gloss black
-Installed polaris .375 47 degree, rear suspension springs
-New limiter straps
-Made my own gauge relocation bracket
-Redid all under hood heat tape

And on order I have:

-Skins Air frame running boards, powder coated black
-Trail Tech HID lights
-Pro Armor tether

Yet to do is:

-Deal with clearance issue in the tunnel, track is rubbing on the Holz chain case guard. Shouldn't be a big deal.
-Get front Fox Floats fully serviced
-I have a bit more riveting to do on the hood, waiting on rivets for that.
-Figure SOMETHING out for my intake. The Mountain Fit air shelf doesn't drop down far enough so I can use my stock air intake cone. So I'm not sure what to do there...
-Rebleed brakes
-Tighten up the gears and install chain case cover
-Reinstall exhaust
-Re-polish the tunnel to get that shine back
Next year I'm really hoping to go turbo if I can ride a few and decide it's for me, as well as doing something to stiffen up the tunnel.

There you have the list. Now here's the pics. I'll keep it updated as I progress farther. I know it would have been more interesting to watch it happen, but better late than never. :p

0830002151.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

Here is my issue with the intake. The clear air shelf is hard to see, but it's there. The stock intake cone is sitting in the airbox like it should be. Look at the gap... Any ideas? I thought of the timbersled intake, and just have it sticking up into the air shelf, not sealed then, but would still get mostly cold air as I have four vents in front going directly into the air shelf. Only thing is I left my motor and intake as stock as possible with the hopes that if my motor goes before Dec 31 (that's when my warranty runs out) polaris would still cover it. Once I install the timbersled intake that hope is totally gone. Any other ideas?

0828001932.jpg

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Looks sharp! I really like the looks of that IQr hood too. And could you use something like an SLP Air Horn to fill that gap in your intake? http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=21&productID=370
I'm sure you could fab up something yourself to fit in there too. Nice work tho!

Thanks man! Looks like the air horn just might work! Does anybody know how far down it comes on the IQ chassis? Wondering if it'll reach all the way down into the stock cone, if It does then I'm ordering one right quick here.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Got some more done today, tether is mounted, took care of the clearance issue in the tunnel (if it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer) buttoned up the chain case, bled the brake system, and got the exhaust in. Getting some of the smaller things done finally. Feels like it's finally coming together now. All that's left is the Trail tech lights, wiring in the tether, I'm waiting for the lights before wiring it up, so i can safely start the sled and test the tether right away to make sure it's right. And installing the skinz running boards, which won't be here till beginning of November by the sounds of it.

0904001650a.jpg

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Why new running boards?

Why are you going to switch out your running boards? Don't you have better boards on it right now? The ones you have don't help? Any way to salvage what you have and sell them to me? I have a stock 08 800 and have been thinking of upgrading!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
The stock one has a much smaller opening and is tapered.

Smaller on the inside, by the air shelf then? Cause the outside diameter looks the same... And yes mine is tapered. Other wise from this angle it looks the same. What I need is more depth....

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Why are you going to switch out your running boards? Don't you have better boards on it right now? The ones you have don't help? Any way to salvage what you have and sell them to me? I have a stock 08 800 and have been thinking of upgrading!

I have Snow Eliminators right now, and yes I do really like them! They work quite well. Reason for my switching boards is I love how the skinz ones are a tube design. There is no way snow can stay on them, AT ALL. Plus the stock polaris bars bend way to easy, these won't bend or flex, which in turn also makes the sled more responsive, and lastly they are an inch wider than stock. That will be really nice as well! Sure I want to sell them anyway yep! What are they worth to you? My dealer sells them new for right around $200

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I have Snow Eliminators right now, and yes I do really like them! They work quite well. Reason for my switching boards is I love how the skinz ones are a tube design. There is no way snow can stay on them, AT ALL. Plus the stock polaris bars bend way to easy, these won't bend or flex, which in turn also makes the sled more responsive, and lastly they are an inch wider than stock. That will be really nice as well! Sure I want to sell them anyway yep! What are they worth to you? My dealer sells them new for right around $200

I would want them at least 50% off, so considering that I can go http://www.snoweliminator.com/ and get them for 129.95 I would give you $75 for them, not sure if that is worth it to you though. Thanks

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I would want them at least 50% off, so considering that I can go http://www.snoweliminator.com/ and get them for 129.95 I would give you $75 for them, not sure if that is worth it to you though. Thanks

That sounds fair. i would sell them for that I think. But I have a few buddies interested now though. I ride with five guys who all dont have anything yet. Im thinking ill keep them in our riding group and help one of them out with a deal. With shipping to you and everything, you might be almost as well off going new anyway.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
That sounds fair. i would sell them for that I think. But I have a few buddies interested now though. I ride with five guys who all dont have anything yet. Im thinking ill keep them in our riding group and help one of them out with a deal. With shipping to you and everything, you might be almost as well off going new anyway.

No prob thanks any ways.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Alright! Well I had some time yesterday, and I got a solution figured out for my intake problem. Walked down the plumbing isle in the hardware store, with my stock intake cone in hand, and it kinda just came together. lol I will post pics once I have it mounted to the hood. Hopefully in the next few days. Also expecting my lights to show up shortly, so I will update on those as well once they arrive!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
lookg good brother...good work...

wht lights are you using for lights..

my 900 build is coming along..got some ice age rails and 9" ice age billet wheels ;) its all still at the powder coater :(

keep it up man...

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Thanks man. I have a set of these coming. One spot and one flood. Hoping my mounting idea will work out, other wise I'll have to think up something else...

And yeah I saw your setup, looks very nice! At first I couldn't believe you were going to run raw finish rails, but your getting them done I saw. :p Should be killer! Can't wait to see what it'll be like once it's done.

Finally got my air self permanently mounted where it should be,(and no Sean is wasn't even that bad lol) Got the under side of the hood and air shelf heat taped , just need to mount the intake cone, then the hood and intake are done. Pics soon I hope. My life is WAY to busy! lol

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Made some progress today again. Got the intake all done and mounted to the hood. Also got the lights. They are bigger than I had expected... So I'm kinda stuck, not sure where to mount them. I'll try and figure something out. But here's a few pics and a description of what I did with the intake.

Ok so what I did was I took the stock cone, cut it up into about 1.5 inch sections so I could straighten the taper that it has stock, took a 4 inch rubber pipe coupler, (not sure what else to call it lol) and slid that over top of the stock cone, -Reason for me reusing the stock cone was so I had some kind of way to mount the whole thing to the air self. With out it I would have been stuck. I then took and cut a 4 inch plastic sewer pipe coupler in half, and slid half into the stock intake cone. Being that it was a tight fit, and that I had cut up the stock cone into sections, the sewer coupler pushed the sections up against the rubber coupler. Tighten the hose clamp and it holds together very well. I then stretched the foam from the stock setup over top of the rubber, to make the seal around the airbox when you close the hood. Also had to enlarge the air box hole to allow the rubber coupler to fit inside. I now have a full four inch intake hole. lol Not sure what size the stock opening was but this will be double the airflow. :face-icon-small-hap Looks a bit odd but it'll do what I need it to, it all seals up very well so the sled should be getting PLENTY of cold air. Is there such a thing as feeding this motor to much cold air? Will the ECM adjust on it's own or should I tweek my PCV map? Not totally sure how the whole CFI system works yet...

Let me know what you think of my "farmers fix" as we would call it around here. :D Think it'll work alright?

0925002252.jpg

0925002253a.jpg

0925002255.jpg

0925002257.jpg

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Got the lights mounted today, just need to wire them in yet once I know which wires to tie into, in the stock harness. Here's a few pics. Not totally happy with how it LOOKS with them mounted here, but it seemed to be the best option. When the sled rolls they will press up against the side of the hood and not break off. The hood will just flex a bit. No biggy, I'll get used to how it looks I'm sure.

Sledbuildsummer2010003.jpg

Sledbuildsummer2010001.jpg

Sledbuildsummer2010002.jpg

Premium Features