• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M1000 clutching options and ideas

M

maelstrom57

Feb 28, 2008
Torbay, Newfoundland
Guys,
Trying to get your thoughts on whether I should update my stock clutching or go aftermarket. I have a fully stock 09 M1000 x 153, and due to the lack of mountains where I live, will unfortunately only ever running below 3000'. I guess I need to revise my AC factory setup clutches for this elevation, but I wondering if I should go aftermarket, and if so, what recommendations can you all offer. I plan on only doing some mild modifications in the future, can, pipe, y-pipe, etc, if the tuners ever come up with working options for elimanating the bogging issues. I don't want to be having to frig with the unit all the time as my riding is not that extreme. Maybe I should just go with the Cat 0' to 3000' setup and leave the rest alone. Thoughts???

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
I can only tell you what I am running to maybe give you an idea. There are some differences though, so keep that in mind........ for my 0 to 3000 setup. I have an 08 m1000 with a 162, It has an slp y pipe, pipe, bmp powderlite can, BD box, and air box mods.
In the primary I went with SLP 77 gram MTX weights loaded with two 3 gram steel rivets, the Purple spring and "lubricated" washers (Clutch Spring Glide Washer Kit) on both ends of the spring from Hi Perf. (part # 200-903).

In the Secondary I went with the SLP prog. Helix 44-36, stock orange spring, shift assist bearing, rock rollers.

I see on a long pull 7700, which is where SLP req. for the Pipe setup (7600-7800).

The washers and shift assist keep the springs from binding.

Hope this helps you some. If you are running stock for awhile before the mods are to be done.......... try the stock weights, the washers, and shift assist....... everything else stock required purple (pri), orange (sec) and 44-40, 36, or try the 44-36.

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
I have a 09 M1000 sp le 162 and we are at 1350' at home here. In the primary I have the 85 gram weights in and I am running the stock spring. In the secondary I have the orange spring and the 36 helix. I just made a shift assist setup today and that works nice. So with that said I am running right around 7400. Just where it is suppose to be.

M
Dec 12, 2007
northeastern alberta
Try a torsional kit with a straight 38 old style helix. Stock 80 gr. weights. In the mountains...run a green sno pro spring with lots of preload. Around home (under 3000 feet), run a cat yellow spring with average preload. Easiest way to run different elevations without changing a ton of stuff.

Premium Features