• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom Viper Build

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
What are the big holes in the top of the tunnel for?

On the new artic cat m-series there is a complete hole cut out where the cooler goes, I figured it was for weight and heat transfer, I didn't like the idea of a big hole so I drilled several circles and painted the cooler, I like function and looks as well. Whatcha think??

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Clutch Weights and v-force reeds

Any one use the clutch weight kit (Thunder shift kit?) $149.00 from thunder products before??? How about v-force 3 reeds on a viper??? Thanks for the input

no experience with the thunder products, i am a believer in the oem weights and there are far more documented tests to baseline on with them then the aftermarket. in my opinion the carbontech reeds seemed better than the vforce, for alot less money. according to some experts, its hard to improve on the stock reeds. i did run the boyesen rad valves, and just with the 501 dyno, or maybe mental dyno, there seemed to be alot of gain on bottom end through the midrange, along with crisper throttle response. they are spendy.

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
no experience with the thunder products, i am a believer in the oem weights and there are far more documented tests to baseline on with them then the aftermarket. in my opinion the carbontech reeds seemed better than the vforce, for alot less money. according to some experts, its hard to improve on the stock reeds. i did run the boyesen rad valves, and just with the 501 dyno, or maybe mental dyno, there seemed to be alot of gain on bottom end through the midrange, along with crisper throttle response. they are spendy.

any idea where to start with oem for 8-11k on the primary with pipes and probably reeds, I have no idea where to start on the secondary, I will probably call Hauck since I am running their parts on the secondary. Should I go roller? any one got one layin around they want to sell?

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Clutch weights I could have??

Here is one cheap clutch weight option I have a set of 8CR-00's that weigh 38.09 grams each. NES had these on a 199? Mountain max 700 before his big motor mod, he now has the thunder shift kit I mentioned above. I haven't taken my clutch apart to even see what is in there, this is down the list.

hang on to those 8CR's, they may come into play. you should have 8EK's in there, hauck usually bases there clutch kits on stock weights. the mountain vipers had 8DN-10's, i think. pat at hauck is normally a wealth of info, if you can reach him, his staff is knowlegdable as well. i am the wrong guy to advise you on roller secondaries as i have had bad luck with them holding up under mountain conditions. i have had better luck with multi-angled helixes, and stock straight angles. the viper with slp's responded well with a straight 43* for altitude. you may want to start a new thread for your clutching needs to gain some more input.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I ran the 8dn10 (empty I think) with the 43' helix sliver spring?
CPR pipes, peak head (& stock for one year) Bender headgasket
rear cooler, Atacc
144x16x2 with 7 tooth drivers
19/38 gear ( other combos also )
homemade transfer enhancement kit
only 2 inside rear wheels
I will look to see if I still have any notes

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Snakebit where are you from in Iowa??? Thanks for the input. Did you like the peak head??? Thanks to everyone for the input this is what I am looking for as our trip in march is the only one I will be making this year and I only want to do minimal tuning and lots of playing in powder. Snowdad4 thanks for the clutch input, I overthink clutching a lot and am have not played around with too many yamaha clutches on the yamahas I have owned. I think is is the rivet fact that I don't like about them, kind of a P-I-T-A if you ask me. I am also looking in to the carbontech reeds $200 cheaper is significant to me.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
Oelwein hwy 3 & 150 ne of waterloo
02 Viper 144 x 16 X 2" paddle
CPR pipes, with Peak head
Bender headgasket
SRX base gasket
Yamaha exhaust deflector
8dn10 no rivets stk spring (GWG ?) also ran a black from ?
43' helix silver spring 90' (plus) twist I think
21 top 41 bottom gearing 70L(maybe going deeper?19/41? or (19/38 last trip)
8 tooth drivers (extroverts)
holtman Atacc installed
jets 162.5 162.5 165
pilots 47.5 47.5 47.5
needles 3th groove washer top & bottom
fuel screws 1.75 1.75 1.75
all stock carb parts
2 flo-rites, ram air filters, air box prefilter, 1-1/2" hole drilled in each ram air duct to dump air right into the air box
all under air inlet to air box are duct taped off, to suck only outside cool air, from ram air and flo-rites
and TAPE OFF ALL HOLES AROUND HEADLIGHT this is a MUST, seemed to the
biggist help with the powder bogg

Last edited:
M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Snake bit jetting??

Are those the jets you leave in to ride around Iowa, or are those the jets for elevation. If those are for elevation do you unplugg your holztmann when you get to your destination to reset to those jets? Just curious. I also found I have a 43 degree helix form hauck with a org/grn spring, i think I will get a silver, but i will call hauck and make sure. thanks for the awesome info I was definitely curious bout powder bogg.

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
I think that was the last set-up in the sled fromlast year and yes ran it in Iowa and out west in the snowies. Never changed the carb just clutch and gears.

great info on TY http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41426&page=11&pp=10&highlight=Powder+Bog

Thanks i was just curious about the holtzmann with the issues I had with the MXZ 670 I had, but I never rejetted it from stock so that may have been my issue, other than that the holtzmann was amazing. That was a great thread on TY and I have a question, Arctic cat makes these stick on filters that cover up vents on their 09-10 sleds and I was thinking about putting those on my outside openings next to my headlights since my viper was a shorty and these vents look open. Any Suggestions or input on this??

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I think mine cam from MPI not sure its was a while ago
but if you dont put something over them I would think they will allow alot of snow in or just plug with snow in the deep, I also covered the hood screens with smaller like window screening

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Update

This weeks main focus besides work and family is the rear skid and the seat frame. I reworked the front w arm last night to achieve the same dimensions as a 2000 and up MM, had to spin the top pivot shaft about 30 degrees, the shock mount even lined up with some holes in the arctic cat rails. I know there is a thread on build your own transfer straps, I have the material and am wondering the length they need to be, anybody got that thread???, Snakebit I have the same clutching setup that you ran in your viper, except I need to get the right springs, what do you think about a 21-39 gear setup?? Give me your honest opinion about that viper you built and how it did out west, looks like by reading some threads you liked to ride in the snowies too. I also made the frame to support the 2003 yz 125 seat , it will pivot off of 2 hiem joints in the front and the shock will be in the rear, I have to build this base piece next. THANKS again for everyones help, wish I was done, we have had 55 inches of snow here in IOWA this year, that is a lot for us!!

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
IMO the 21/39 wont work very well
you running 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers?
I think they are larger than 8t 2.52
so your top gear should be 50% or less of bottom gear
when I first ran mine I had belt issues
I think the gearing made the clutches HEAT up
seems like the 2.25 final ratio is the sweet spot
bottom divided by top x 1.125 = 2.25
stock mtn Viper 20 top 40 bottom

? dont know how to figure 3" pitch gear?
39 divided by 19 = 2.05 x 1.08 = 2.21??
41 20 = 2.05
43 21 = 2.05

Last edited:
S

Sixat38

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
Gearing

All Vipers gearing is/was based of 9 tooth drivers. Yes, even Mtn Viper. But Mtn Viper came with 8T drivers, essentially gearing it down from the factory.

I have a 3P x 162 track on mine with 7T drivers. I'm running 20/42 gears. I found the same thing as Snakebit... 2.25:1 is real good for the final ratio. It goes like this.

7T x 3P = 21" circumference
9T x 2.52P = 22.68"

So...
42 / 20 x 22.68 / 21 = 2.27
Final ratio of 2.27:1

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Now i get it

I have read several threads on here about gearing and have never understood how they get to the final number. Thanks for the input , I am gonna post on swapmeet for some gears

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I know I have a 70L chain and some gears
I was told they wont work in the Nytro
what are you looking for?

Premium Features