• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My IQR build

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
Finally got my IQR done, heres a few pics.

'06 IQR
VE Boondock tunnel
162 EZ-RYDE
162 camo
UBR Billet 900

himarker

tys.jpg

tyso.jpg

ty.jpg

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Well done! I am in the process of building a simular one right now. What kind of drill bit did you find to work the best on the Self piercing rivots between the bulkhead and the tunnel?

I found using Black Gold drill bits from Fastenal to work very well. I started with an 1/8" bit and drilled all the way through. Side note, the aluminum will wad up on the end of the 1/8" bit after just a bit of drilling. Stop and remove the galled up material. After that whole deal I switch to the 3/16" bit and it works great.

Nice looking sled build. An aftermarket front end would help drop the weight and improve the approach angle.

Here is a complete Z-broz front end with all hardware, shocks, a-arms and spindles.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=443623

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Well done! I am in the process of building a simular one right now. What kind of drill bit did you find to work the best on the Self piercing rivots between the bulkhead and the tunnel?

I use a grinder to grind the head off and then tap it out..works pretty good..

A
I use a grinder to grind the head off and then tap it out..works pretty good..

Yes that has worked in the past for me. The problem this time is that I am trying to save the tunnel. If I dont have someone on the other side I am punching aginst I will flare out the hole. This is a 09 tunnel in great shape, cant just waste it.
Thanks for the tip though.
and sorry about the " Hyjack".

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
well i went out and put some miles on it yesterday. Im overall VERY impressed with the chassis so far. I only have 2 issues.

1. Weight transfer/ski lift: I need more ski lift for my style of riding. at most while climbing i am getting maybe 2-4" i would like to see it more in the range of 12-16"

2. Front suspension: it handles very well, but its awfully stiff. i dont have the coin to purchase a new aftermarket front suspension setup. I have the coils backed off so far that uopn compression to one side the opposing spring will be loose. I have the stock Walker Evans shocks, and i havent messed with the dampnening control yet, but any ideas will help.

himarker

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I had the same feeling of the front end being too firm. Aside from going to an rmk front end which will cost you, or putting softer shocks/springs on which will also cost you, you can go the cheap route and put some older softer springs on. I went with a set of genII springs, but they don't just fit automatically, I had to slip the genII plastic support inside the walker sleeve to support the springs, then set preload to near max. Still not as good as the narrower rmk a-arms though, that's what I ultimately want.

As far as the tank, check out the trail tanks website they have a bigger one

When would you ever want 16" of ski lift??

Hesdale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
For drilling out the rivets...Use Dewalt Pilot Point bits. They work great, but you need a few as I snapped a few in the process.

I had my springs shortened and revalved by b-line motorsports in MN. I told him my wieght and riding style and he set em up for me. But if you got a great deal on a used set of shocks the price may be close.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Great looking build. Maybe for the front end try finding a used set of Power Addiction drop spindles and just go for a re-valve on your shocks. Works fine for most guys who don't want to spend the coin on a new front end, which is also less strong than the race arms.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I had the same issue with the transfer with my sled. Either get Brads 2" lower spindles, have AK IQ Pilot shorten and revalve your WE shocks, get an consumer front end, or a aftermarket front end. I had AK shorten my shocks and it helped dramatically. Lowered my front end about 2". Here is a pic of my sled with the shorter front shocks. It measures 10.5" from the ground to the bulkhead, which is the same as my D8.

IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0219.jpg

Premium Features