• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few progress pics of my yamadoo

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
funds are short after droppin the cash for the sled

Keep the project pics comin :beer;:beer;

Oh and I will be callin you Yama dooin' it now :)

Lucky for me the RT 1000 aint exactly fetching top dollar these days so my base was cheap.

Nothing picture worthy happening, just lots of little things getting worked on, should be getting my intercooler in the next few days. Then get into workin on my airbox and some stuff like that. Just got a small fund setback as i blew up the front axle in my truck playing in the remaining snow we had in the hills. So that puts me back about a week so new parts coming for a bit.

as far as yama dooin it, thats got a nice ring to it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Got a little more work done, just spent a LOT of time rebuilding and installing a new front end in my truck, but back to workin on the sled!

intercooler came in the mail. just need to call the local welder guy and have him put hew outlets on the ends tanks that are larger and face the right direction. heres a few pictures of my custom from bumper as my plastic one is all cracked from trees and this one provides a nice lifting surface. the intercooler sits nicely behind the headlight openings.

DSCI0740.jpg

DSCI0741.jpg

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Awesome project, always wanted to doo that! Only one thing I would suggest since you are taking the time to do the fabrication is to pair the exhaust pulses properly in your header, 1-4 and 2-3, It will run stronger, spool harder, and you will know you are not plugging exhaust pulses with other pulses! It will run fine the way you have done it but....doing things twice sucks!
Keep up the good work, and get that thing in the snow!

The only way that would be beneficial is if he had a twin scroll turbine housing. I think he has the standard mhi evo 16g. The TME 16g is the only 16g with a twin scroll.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
^^ very true, As mine is not a dual scroll the dual design really has no major performance gains, might be a tad, but i think a well build 4-1 single with a big flex joint is going to net me the best fit, finish and space for all the other crap in there im gonna need.

and im coming off alrightly setup 2 strokes, even if it only runs 80% of what it could, thats a HECK of a lot more power then i had before!

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Being that you are going to engineering school I assume that you have already run the cfm numbers for the boost levels that you would like to run on the motor?? Just asking because to me, your intercooler looks small. Does it match up to the cfm's you are looking to push??

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
oh yeah, its all good and can flow plenty, what you cant see is that the core is 4" thick!

they only limitations are the stock outlets which are 1.5" pipe, a company used to put bigger outlets on them for a steath look in the cars and they were good to well over 300hp....

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Dooin' it,
You will be a god among men with all the people who ride at MSU. There are a few turboed sleds in the Bozeman area, but I cant think of 1 student with that kind of power! HAHA but it will be a fun time either way. We ride the canyon mostly, but make a few trips to Cooke, the Bridgers, Crazies, and the Roots. What discipline of engineering are you? Im a senior Mechanincal.

I am really impressed with the looks of your project. Take your time with the details, its what will make or break a project like this. Youve got 4 months 'til we have snow, so do it right. Oh and if you need to use the shop down at school (for any fitting, fabricating, or repairs) let me know.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
There's a couple guys at MSU with turboed sleds, I don't know of any Yammi's though. Reliability will be the key, if it runs well all day without much tuning you will have lots of guys to ride with. There will be two more TM8's running around in our group next year if you want to see how the Yamadoo will do. I'll be interested to see how it handles in the trees with the added weight of the RX-1 motor. You have any plans for a rear skid?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Thanks for the offer on the shop untouchable, i hope to take some time in the wet part of our feild to get it pretty dialed in on a spare attack 20 track i got. this way when the snow hits its ready to run, and most of my tuning will be done when im back up in whitefish over christmas, and im in a group of super tuners, so nobody cares if you wrench all day.

and yeah, the turbo isnt so much the impressive part, you can pick a used one up right now for dirt cheap, its the level of custom, the only ones i have seen like this are all done in carbon fiber chassis and are total 1 off customs with LOTS of $$ into them.

as far as the rear skid, im going to run the stock doo one, but going to try and mod in the coulping blocks like they use on there trail sled suspension, make em so i can flip em out of the way if i want and lock the thing down for a big climb.

as far as riding groups, im definately looking forward to getting out with some new people and REALLY curious how the bad boy does against some 2stroke turbos. im clutched and geared to run up to 15lbs then i hit the rev limiter. i think that is enough to run side by side with most of the TM8's

the RT stock was kinda front heavy, the motors in them were honestly almost the same weight, the rx1 motor might be 15-20 pounds heavier, but as soon as your on the gas its all good. i kinda like a front heavy sled when off the power, i like the way they ride, who knows, i use some pretty poorly setup suspension in efforts to figure things out and never have issues.

only problem I see is it being a sorta submarine with the gen I simmons skis, it liked to sink in the really flluffy crap, and now with the added weight it could be interesting!

and to add to my post about the intercooler, i was on the way to work so it got rushed. in the stock mitsu cars they make 190hp.... people have run the stock intercooler to 300ish HP, the core can move plenty of air, just the tubes become the limiting factor, thats a LOT of air for a 1.5" pipe! they have a huge issue in the cars with heat soaking becuase its located in the wheel wells and is surrounded by shrouding and gets NO direct airflow, also, in the cars, you dont go hit the track when its -10* to 40*F more like 60*+ so this also plays a lot into why it is very well suited, they can flow enough in the cars, plenty of people run them on a nice tune and higher boost up to about 250hp daily drivers. they just say a few hard pulls and the thing is like an oven. with mine sitting right behind a hood that is pretty well cut up and deleted headlights shes gonna be getting more then enough air, also the gauge area right behind it is going to have plenty of venting so its a good straight through design as far as i can see it. I also am not much for huge 1-2 minute climbs. this thing is going to get me to the tops of the hills i ride normally faster then the thing can even start to get hot! I dont need turbo power, i like to build, so maximum peak perfection is not the most important thing for it, reliability and ease of replacement is!

continuing another thought, i keep mocking up as many things as i can and have already redone a few things 2-3 times, BUT have created a very good idea of what is in the way of what, so that way it is getting so when i go to work on it the first time im not like WTF? how do i get to that? i work a little everyday so i dont get to hasty and mess things up!

Last edited:
OK seeming I have already done this swap, there's a few thing I might recommend,

First,the Ib's of boost have no bearing on the amount of power you make,so the reason I say this is you need to spend time making sure you can flow air with out RESTRICTION , the intercooler you have will be very restrictive in you application, you need a intercooler that will flow close to 600cfm. the one you have will be more of a hindrance then anything.yopu need 2 1/4 inlet minimum.

Your idea with the header is good, build a proto then have a good stainless one made then get it ceramic coated. trust me on this this will save you many hour and lots of money in the end.

the mounts are easy 2 inch cross bar with 1 1/2 uprights and it bolts right in.

For the most part it is looking good,

Also, you may want to think about installing a meth kit, this will allow you to run around 15 Ib's of boost with only 92 octain gas.

As I said I had one but I couldn't resist putting anew 1200 doo 4 stroke in instead.

Cliff Yeatman
Advance Dyno

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
OK seeming I have already done this swap, there's a few thing I might recommend,

First,the Ib's of boost have no bearing on the amount of power you make,so the reason I say this is you need to spend time making sure you can flow air with out RESTRICTION , the intercooler you have will be very restrictive in you application, you need a intercooler that will flow close to 600cfm. the one you have will be more of a hindrance then anything.yopu need 2 1/4 inlet minimum.

Ya, thats what I was trying to get too. I believe that if the cooler is 1.5 inlet stock it probably doesnt have the cfm capacity AT the EFFICIENCY needed to see gains from an intercooler. JMO of course.

I too am going to engineering school and will be playing with a turbo setup for next season. We will have to get together and go for a ride...kinda an East vs. West Shootout type deal and do a little comparing.

Good looking build, should be fun.

Jake

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
Sweet project!!! Check out WWW.mandrel-bends.com for the header pipe /charge tube stuff you need. They are close to you and,there stuff looks fairly cheap. I got that site from my Snowest friends so i can not take credit.:beer;

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
cliff, thanks for chimming in, i know you did the apex motor in an RT, so glad to hear some info from you. yes, the motor mounts are dumb easy to make, it works really well, and is simple. as far as the intercooler, with new tanks welded onto it, i beleive( still looking for the info again) that the core of the intercooler can flow more then enough, just small inlet/outlet and slightly to small of tanks. im willing to get things done right if the core can flow what i need efficiently, and thats the key, that way im not loosing 2lbs across the thing! as far as boost levels, i think ill stick with just headshimed for now. and im calling boondockers about a sidemount header, this way i know its better then what i can do. I love making my own stuff, BUT, i want this thing to last and be pretty reliable, a full 4-1 race header isnt something i need, i just want bigger power, not super amazing dumb power, thats for the big guns.

going to crunch some numbers, looks for some things, BUT i think this intercooler will do fine given the right tanks and inlets/outlets, heck, while im doing that i could just make it part of the airbox if i can fit it!.... edit, just went out and glanced at the thing, im going to do some rough calcs of how much tubing is inside the core to see what it has for through flow capabilities, that may be artarted, BUT, seems like if the core itself has enough tubing to go through it ( equal or larger area the a 2.5" pipe) then it should do fine with modded tanks put on it.

a lot of this is me thinking out loud, so like is happening right now, feel free to chip in, it keeps me thinking, otherwise i just do dumb crap!

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i have made an executive desicion to keep this intercooler and make it be part of the setup as you will see in the pictures. it may not be the best 100% design it can be, but this year is stage 1.... next year we shall see how much power i want and what the pitfalls of the setup are. I am going to make the one tank of the intercooler part of the airbox, it will be sort of a side to side version of the normal ones on the apex/rx1 setups. the drawing is just a quick sketch i made up in paint to give you and ideaof what it be like, seems to me like lag will be pretty minimal if at all noticable with an intake setup like this. blow off valve will be incorperated into the end tank of the airbox.

DSCI0748.jpg

DSCI0749.jpg

airboxsketch.jpg

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
One thing you might want to look at with the intercooler, if found to flow the CFM you need, is to put a 12V computer fan on the back side and draw cold air through it, like BD does with their mini intercooler's for the PG setups. While your getting the welding done on it add the tabs for the fan to mount to it at the same time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185080

Something like this, Cheap, moves a ton of air for what it is. and not going to add a bunch of weight or voltage draw to your system.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i ran a bunch of numbers on the cars they came off of and what kind of CFM they were running and its VERY similar to what im doing, this exact turbo/ IC combo is running around in a lot of cars right now making good power on very similar boost psi. I have done a lot of research for these cars and compared as many numbers as i can and feel it will work in a beneficial manner, maybe not as much as a larger custom IC, but it will not be worse then no IC at all or even close. this turbo ic combo has been taken to about 300hp on 1.8l mitsu motors maxing out at around 6000 rpm. cfm wise, these are almost identical to the 1liter rx1 motor at 10500 where its clutched to.

I will hate to have to admit I was wrong, BUT, I am confident in my research and what this sled is being to be desigened to do.

Premium Features