• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mikuni VM Slide Spring Tension

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Good morning!

I'd like to reduce the amount of tension on the throttle slide springs(VM30) on our Indy lite to make it easier for our son's thumb.

What are your thoughts on trimming the springs VS installing lighter springs? - How much can you trim before there are legitimate concerns of the slides sticking from ice? What P/N to use if a lighter spring is the way to go?

FYI, the cables are all moving freely & have been lubed. The springs are just too stiff! LOL

TIA

Glen

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I believe the Indy Lites used the same throttle safety switches in the throttle block as the rest of the Polaris sleds so in the event you did get a slide sticking it should shut down anyway. You should be safe to trim 1/4 to 1/3 of it away but you may have to stretch it back to the original length. There is something called "throttle gizmo" which helps for part throttle operation for smaller/weaker hands. My son has one on a Skidoo so his young girls can drive it. It works well.

http://www.clydecanride.com/

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks guys.

Free length of the factory springs was 4.250" so I trimmed them down to 3.5". I'm pretty sure I could trim more but I'll see how the rider makes out with it the way that it is & then go from there.

Pop, you are right. The machine has a TSS & it also has a tether so we should be covered in the event of a stuck slide.

You could probably cut 1/4 of it off and be fine, maybe more. Curl the cut off end in a little bit so you know it won't to any binding.

I believe the Indy Lites used the same throttle safety switches in the throttle block as the rest of the Polaris sleds so in the event you did get a slide sticking it should shut down anyway. You should be safe to trim 1/4 to 1/3 of it away but you may have to stretch it back to the original length. There is something called "throttle gizmo" which helps for part throttle operation for smaller/weaker hands. My son has one on a Skidoo so his young girls can drive it. It works well.

http://www.clydecanride.com/

Premium Features