• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dang Electrical! 2000 RMK 700 Voltage Regulator Question

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Ok.

Back to working on electrical. :-(

My wife sled...2000 RMK 700.... Lost all electrical and tach on a ride this weekend.

Background: It was blowing bulbs earlier this season and I replaced the voltage regulator with the crappy Polaris VR that everyone says is garbage.

The sled ran great with light and handwarmers and all working as it should for the first 30 miles of the ride yesterday. 5 miles from the truck everything went dead. It still ran fine and we rode it back to the truck.

My assessment: I disconnected the yellow wire from the voltage regulator and started the sled WITHOUT revving it up. All the electrical came back. The headlight was obviously too bright and about to blow but at least all was working. When I plugged the yellow wire back into the center plug on the connector and started the sled all the lights were out again.

Bad voltage regulator AGAIN?

I have a hard time thinking its a stator issue since all the electrics work when the yellow wire coming out of the VR is unplugged.

Thoughts please its dumping in the Northwest finally.

Rob

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yes, another bad one. I had the same thing happen to a 1999 RMK. Replaced one regulator and all bulbs. It lasted all of about 10 miles and the regulator went out again. Replaced again and it was good until I sold it. Bad thing is there is no return on electrical parts.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Check your main connector block from the stator. I had the main power wire shorting out causing this same problem.

Premium Features