• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 mcx apex in need of new track, what track to get?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi guys, So my Apex i purchased has the stock track on it missing every 1 out of 3 paddles or so, or half of them are gone... Figures! stock tracks crap.

SO What I was thinking was a 2.5 174? I'm going to change my rails anyways I figure, its got a timbersled rear skid with stock rails????

Question is, Is can the 2.5 fit in there fine? stock track looks like a tight fit as it is.

And whats the best track, the camoplast challenger extreme? Thanks!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
174x2.5CE is a great track

highly recommend, I'm running the 162"-X3, but if I had it to do over would go 174x2.5"CE

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
2.5 fits and yes get the 174. Great fit for that sled.

yep i figure so, Would I need to extend my rear tunnel or anything? or should it fight OK?

I was talkign to a dealer that said the all the apex's with their stock tracks where 2.5" from factory, even their crappy maverick tracks or what ever they are called ( I forget, Its summer so give me a break! :face-icon-small-win)

But looking up on say camoplast site and using their sled referencer it shows stock is 2.25 if i remember right? or 2.3?

M
Jan 14, 2004
The stock Maverick was 2.25" 16. You'll get all kinds of differing opinions but I would look hard at a CE 174 2.5 15 wide vs the 16, you won't really notice a floatation difference once you are moving as the turbo gives you all the track speed it'll be slightly less effective out of the hole but you will pick up a bit of handling just depends where and how you ride. You could run it on a stock tunnel but you'll need to cut the flap or remove it otherwise you'll be sucking it in all day.

M5

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Like M5 said you will get lots of opinions here. I think most will agree that the mavericks are JUNK regardless of their condition. I took mine off my Apex and went to a 174-16-2.5 and it was a completely different sled! However, if I was to do it over again I would buy a 16x3 and have it cut to 15 wide and trim it to 2.5. Either regardless of which way you go there will be a VAST improvement over the existing track. As for the tunnel, you can run it, but you will find that the bumper and the track are nearly even and if it comes into a hard wheelie it will try and come all the way over on you rather than drag the back bumper. But just watch your throttle control and you can make it live in the OEM tunnel.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you plan on keeping your stock tunnel I have a custom aluminum rear bumper left over from a sled I ripped down for my Nypex, it is a bolt on that replaces the POS stock steel bumper. Shoot me a pm if you have any interest in it, it'll be cheap.

M5

bumper.jpg

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
If you plan on keeping your stock tunnel I have a custom aluminum rear bumper left over from a sled I ripped down for my Nypex, it is a bolt on that replaces the POS stock steel bumper. Shoot me a pm if you have any interest in it, it'll be cheap.

M5

I sent you a pm, and yeah I figure i'll deff do the 174. Should I extend the tunnel or would it be fine as is?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
not sure what to get!?

Hey guys so anyways... im looking to order and i see the challenger extreme 2.5 174x16 is only a 2.86 pitch, my apex has the stock track but i measured it out to being 3.0 pitch? it does have the white i think avid drivers, i know i was told and read, that the stock drivers just get shredded from the power and cannot handle it so you must do drivers when you turbo. Sled does have some km's on it so im 95% sure they arent stock drivers.

I see the 174x15 2.5 in 3.0 pitch but not the 16 wide which is what i want

Thanks! let me know what you guys figure, or if im missing a model number or something on the track, but sofar i'm not seeing what i need!

But i'm reading now perhaps i cant fit the track under there with the 3.0 pitch drivers anyways and will have to change out to a different size?

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
The stock drivers are black if yours are white you likely already have the Avids which is where you want to be and yes you should have a 3.0 pitch. They make or at least made the 174 in 16 wide with a 3.0 pitch. I can get the part number when I get home or just phone tracks USA, a bunch of my friends run that track. The question is going to be if Camoplast is only now making the track for the M drivers which is what I run on my Nypex. If you can only get the M style you can still run your old drivers you will just need to cut off the nubs on the track, lots of guys have done it already.

M5

Edit. 9036M is the 174 16 2.5

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
The stock drivers are black if yours are white you likely already have the Avids which is where you want to be and yes you should have a 3.0 pitch. They make or at least made the 174 in 16 wide with a 3.0 pitch. I can get the part number when I get home or just phone tracks USA, a bunch of my friends run that track. The question is going to be if Camoplast is only now making the track for the M drivers which is what I run on my Nypex. If you can only get the M style you can still run your old drivers you will just need to cut off the nubs on the track, lots of guys have done it already.

M5

Edit. 9036M is the 174 16 2.5

thanks, i was using tracks usa but i assume he put the wrong pitch in for the 9036m as it says 2.86 " pitch however every other site says its 3.0! , i'll call tomorrow to inquire.

Also what size driver do i want or need to get the 2.5 to fit? 7 tooth or will 8 work? I never counted my drivers but i plan to tomorrow

Premium Features