• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice on Mountain Max purchase.

L
Nov 27, 2012
I met a guy who has a 2001 Mountain Max. He is asking $1400 for it. it has 4500 miles, but the owner rebuilt the top end 50 miles ago. It has Aaen triple pipes, ported and milled heads. He also stretched the track to a 155". It looks to be clean and in good condition. I'm new to snowmobiling so i just want something i can ease into the sport with for a few seasons before I buy new technology - but i still want a machine that will keep up with the new stuff. I also want a reliable and dependable sled, and I have heard these 700 motors were very dependable. Do you guys feel this would be a good fit? Fair price?
Thanks for any comments/opinions!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Good sled still own one modded to the sky very reliable. Keep the carbs and clutches clean and you will have a 10000 mile sled. I have around 9500 miles on mine rebuilt motor at 5000.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
The only drawback that I see to getting one of these is learning to ride the wrong foot forward style. I rode mine and learned to do it but it is a lot of work. On the bright side if you can get the wrong foot forward down on the MM it will be a breeze on a newer sled.

The new sleds are really meant to be ridden that way so it is good to learn that way from the start.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
good sled, go for it thats cheap...you wont find anything else that cheap that will actually run. if you buy an old polaris it will blow up on you in 5 minutes. If you need any parts pm me i have a ton of mountain max parts.

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
Great sled that is very capable for the vintage when set up correctly, espically for the price and dependabilty. It won't preform with the brand new sleds, but a great way to get in the sport and a dependable way to get out and get home.

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
Great sled. Great value. Only thing I would recomend other than cleaning the clutches and carbs is replacing the drive axle bearing. $30 and an hours worth of work if you're a beginner.

Cheers!

B
Jan 26, 2013
The only drawback that I see to getting one of these is learning to ride the wrong foot forward style. I rode mine and learned to do it but it is a lot of work. On the bright side if you can get the wrong foot forward down on the MM it will be a breeze on a newer sled.

The new sleds are really meant to be ridden that way so it is good to learn that way from the start.

I changed my bars to a t-post adapter and double pivot risers pointed straight up with a mini rise bar. The risers are angled straight up, it puts them in the right spot to ride wrong foot forward with your foot in the footwells. It made the thing so much easier to sidehill. Also cut out the sway bar, put in transfer straps and a 2 wheel axle kit, ditch all the idler wheels and put on scratchers, get a can and you can dump 50 lbs from the sled pretty easy.

I
Sep 19, 2005
harlem montana
I have a '97 mm700 with 589 original miles. Hauck triple pipes, boss seat, simmons skis, factory 151" upgrade with transfer kit and updated approach angle. Mint condition, $2100

J
Feb 3, 2013
Caldwell ID
2000 MM up-date

Hartman inc offers a kit to install a 151 inch track and re-locate the slide frame to the 2000 MMax spec's. The kit moves the slide frame back, repositions the w arm and transfer rods. I do not know what length of track the factory sleds 2000 and up used.

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I changed my bars to a t-post adapter and double pivot risers pointed straight up with a mini rise bar. The risers are angled straight up, it puts them in the right spot to ride wrong foot forward with your foot in the footwells. It made the thing so much easier to sidehill. Also cut out the sway bar, put in transfer straps and a 2 wheel axle kit, ditch all the idler wheels and put on scratchers, get a can and you can dump 50 lbs from the sled pretty easy.

I have done all of that to mine. It does handle alright and will sidehill but... To say that any trailing arm sled acts like what a new sled does just isn't true. I still love the old mountain max though. I still have three of them along with the nytro.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Hartman inc offers a kit to install a 151 inch track and re-locate the slide frame to the 2000 MMax spec's. The kit moves the slide frame back, repositions the w arm and transfer rods. I do not know what length of track the factory sleds 2000 and up used.

I have installed several of the hartman kits on M-Max's. I really like that kit but it is not a factory updateI was confused by the statement of a "factory upgrade". That means it is a Yamaha brand upgrade kit. Just alittle confused.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC

Being a 2001 it has the change in the suspension. Get a 49/42 helix and a cat red or yellow sec. spring. Clutching makes nearly the same difference as the triple pipes will. Yamaha never had a 151" optionup until 05 everything was 141 then 144. Another good mod for these is the bender weight transfer kit, stops just spinning and hooks up well...........02:light:

Premium Features