• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 turbo vector mtn "questions"

bought a t vecto bender rear mount gt2560, 162 track, van amburg tunnel, running anywhere from 2300ft-6500ft this thing is very sluggish off the line. dont know a damn thing about 4 strokes,turbos or mtn sleds so I need help. not sure i'm looking to type out all the questions that i have, so anyone with experiance willing to talk would be greatly appreciated. One question for starters what do the 2 jets in the line to the cooler do?????? sorry if I sound stupid.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
does it have an AFR gauge?? if not, tuning without one is kinda running around in the dark.. makes life a LOT better.

T
Dec 29, 2008
I used to have the same setup on my 2005 vector, My bender kit only had one jet on the charge line and one spot that was threaded for a extra. When I bought my sled from outlaw they gave me six different air jets to put in that spot. I was told that that jet was to bleed presure off of the float bowls to give it more fuel of less fuel depending on elevation. I only ever used like two different ones the two years I rode it. I rode 2500 to 6500 feet mostly. I ran 15-16 pounds on 50-50 mix gas. I dont know if outlaw made those jets that they gave me or if they were part of the original kit. You could probably give them a call if you need aditional help they are great to work with. They have lots of experience with that setup Randy the owner rode it for a season the andrew the mechanic rode it for a season then I bought it and rode it for 2 seasons 4500 miles on 15 pounds no motor problems great setup, would still be riding but I built a nitro this year with Impulse set up. Hope this helps

Joe

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
uh... its 14-15 at WOT??? if so that is BAD!!! you want maybe 12.5 on a carbed turbo, but for saftey high 11's is a nice goal.. could be cuz you have VERY little fuel. the bender setups have a line called the pitot tube coming from the charge tube over into the float bowls for pressure. this line has a T off it with a jet in the end of it... if yours has a jet in it, what size is it? the larger the jet in this tube the leaner the sled runs.. if the sled was run at much higher elevations and is now down low you might be tuned wrong for that.

wow, thats funny, same post about hte pitot jet. they run mikuni hex main jets if im not mistaken... they run in 100 incraments usually from 100-1000 of a broad range to start, should be able to dial it down.. start by blocking off the passage and see if that helps. if its way to rich then find a jet between 0 and what ever one you have.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, its also gonne be pretty lean as your way low and super cool temps..

the jets dont matter up or down, still the same size.. the number is only on one of end of the jets.. whats the smallest jet you have?? 560 is a decent one.. try something like a 2-300 range.. maybe its better. again.. shooting for around 12 afr WOT.

hmm.. wait, your sled has 2 jets in it?? not really following how that works? which lines are they into? there should only be the single bleeder off the pressure line to the float bowls.

heres a little tuning theory on them for you so you better understand what your doing, not just running around listening to people on the web. the line goes into the float bowls, it pressurizes them and basically forces more fuel through stock size jetting to run with the lots more air being crammed in. now if you bleed off more pressure(larger jet) your gonna get less fuel and thus higher air fuel readings, smaller jets will get you more fuel.. hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
T
Dec 29, 2008
Ski dooin it is right about the jets when you say two jets I think you are seeing the threaded hole for a extra jet, only one of those does anything the one with a line going to the float bowls If i remember corectly it is the one on the bottom. 12.0 is where I ran mine at wide open throttle

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Pictures

That would diffenately be a pitot tube jet. You should post some pictures. I didn't know they used them on the vector at all. Would be interested in seeing how this setup is plumbed. Does the jet go inline or does it bleed off pressure?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the jets bleed off pressure, putting them inline makes it run really goofy and lean out bad under higher load..( i tried on my rx1!)

there a really great idea.. and for those who dont want to mess with jets I have been working on running a bleed valve type of boost controller, this way you dont have to swap jets, you just turn a knob to adjust things!

thanks for all the imput sounds totally logical just never worked on a turbo system before. going to put in the smalles one I have and give it a run or two. checking my spare jets and the smallest is 460 which leads me to believe that the spare one is a 500, the one installed is a 560 cause my next one is 600 and in sequence up to 760.

Next question is about clutching what are othe people running? spring color? got a roller on the secondary with a neon green spring(is that the factory green spring) and a white pink white primary spring, my helix looks to be multi angle but the onlynumbers i see are 5551 ANYBODY?

the sled is very sluggish off the line:confused:

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
on the rear mounts you just need to bump your engagement up to 4500rpm that will get rid of the sluggish feel. you need a 47 degree strait cut helix 51 if you need more throttle response or just get a shock wave so you can adjust on the fly.green spring is just a cat spring should be at 1-0 secondary spring sounds right to. just cant remember what weight i was running i think it was vmax4 weight loaded.

T

TTE

Nov 26, 2007
Norway
Dial in the main jets with a 600 hex jet in the pitot tube. That way you can still add/remove fuel by changing the pitot jet for different conditions (different boost levels, alltitude, weather changes etc.).

Make 100% sure that you don't have any air leaks or exhaust leaks. Shoot for 11,5-12 AFR at WOT and bump rmp engagement like Iamvector told you;)

Last edited:
T

TTE

Nov 26, 2007
Norway
The pitot jet in your charge tube works this way:

Smaller jets installed in the pitot tube lets less air out and pushes more air pressure up to the carbs (float bowls) = more fuel to the engine.

Bigger jet installed in the pitot tube lets more air bleed out of the jet and less air pressure is beeing pushed up to the carbs (float bowls) = less fuel to the engine.

When you sled is dialed correct (main jets) at WOT - changing the pitot jet is like changing main jets without going through the hazzel of pulling the carbrack:D. But that is assuming you pitot tube works - not all charge tubes from Bender worked correct

HIGH BOOST=small hex jet in the pitot

LOW BOOST=bigger hex jet in the pitot

Hope this helps you understand your Bender sytems a little better:beer;

Last edited:
Premium Features