• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

planning a trip on the motorcycles this summer - any suggestions?

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
we are planning a trip with a few friends to yellowstone, cooke, bighorn areas this summer. we may be trailering the bikes (harley's) to cooke & riding from there. not sure yet, does anyone have any suggestions?

we are planning a trip with a few friends to yellowstone, cooke, bighorn areas this summer. we may be trailering the bikes (harley's) to cooke & riding from there. not sure yet, does anyone have any suggestions?

sure........ :light: :light: :light: leave the trailer at home, ride all the way, makes for a better trip :) :) :)
all the places you are going, are great on scooter, trailering defeats the purpose of the trip, :confused: :confused: :confused: you are riding scooter, not a sled !!!!!

R
Jan 21, 2008
Montana
your ride

Yellowstone is nice for sure but nothing beats going to the sun road in Glacier..espically on a bike....just my 2 cents...(problem is you only have about a 3 month window to do it due to all of the snow and weather)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Beartooth Hwy

When You Get To Cooke City, Make Sure You Go Over The Beartooth Hwy. Its The Best Hwy In The United States To See By A Bike. The Views Are Great.

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
we are trailering out there because the ride across sd on a bike does not sound like fun. its bad in a car much less a bike!

we are planning on beartooth pass but we want to ride it on the bikes. can you pull a trailer up beartooth? i was told a few years ago you legally can't pull a trailer up the pass. i don't know why anyone would want to anyway but we want to ride our bikes up anyway.

we are trailering out there because the ride across sd on a bike does not sound like fun. its bad in a car much less a bike!

we are planning on beartooth pass but we want to ride it on the bikes. can you pull a trailer up beartooth? i was told a few years ago you legally can't pull a trailer up the pass. i don't know why anyone would want to anyway but we want to ride our bikes up anyway.

what time of the year do you plan on going ??? early summer SD is not so bad, green grasss all over, late july, august, get's kinda hot, just have to leave early morning, when it gets to hot, that's all the farther you go that day.
check out my profile, you will see why i don't mind the dakota's. :D :D

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
what time of the year do you plan on going ??? early summer SD is not so bad, green grasss all over, late july, august, get's kinda hot, just have to leave early morning, when it gets to hot, that's all the farther you go that day.
check out my profile, you will see why i don't mind the dakota's. :D :D

its just as much the interstate as it is the heat! the roads suck!

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
About Trailers

You can pull a trailer, camp trailer and all trailers over the passe. The only thing you can not do,is take a semi and trailer over it.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Yellowstone is nice for sure but nothing beats going to the sun road in Glacier..espically on a bike....just my 2 cents...(problem is you only have about a 3 month window to do it due to all of the snow and weather)

I'll second that! Have done Beartooth Pass a couple of times because it is so close, but the Going To The Sun Highway is amazing on a bike!

D

dlingle61

Nov 26, 2007
C.Falls,MT
Come as you are

hey come on out to the "BIG SKY" get here as you wish. I'll agree trailer to where you are going and then ride cause you fell like riding. Not everyone rides a OLD GEEZZER bike. I live by Glacier Park and it is a great rider around the park. :D

B
Jan 13, 2008
Hamilton Mt
There are lots of great roads, Beartooth, Chief Joseph pass, Glacier, Thompson pass, just to name a few. If you are in Cooke, there are countless opportunities. Wyoming has some great roads near there as well. From Sheridan there is hwy 14 and and from Buffallo there is one that goes through Tensleep.

T
Dec 2, 2007
Billings, MT
Trailer to Red Lodge, ride up the beartooth highway to Cooke. From there go through the park to West. Go back through the park (different route) to Cooke. From there go to Cody on Chief Joseph hwy. Then go to Lovell, & up hwy 14a into the Bighorns. Go across the mountain & drop down to Sheridan. From there, jump on the interstate, & ride to Laurel. Exit I90 & return to Red Lodge. (this will take a few days)

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
Trailer to Red Lodge, ride up the beartooth highway to Cooke. From there go through the park to West. Go back through the park (different route) to Cooke. From there go to Cody on Chief Joseph hwy. Then go to Lovell, & up hwy 14a into the Bighorns. Go across the mountain & drop down to Sheridan. From there, jump on the interstate, & ride to Laurel. Exit I90 & return to Red Lodge. (this will take a few days)

that would definatly take a few days. thought of trailering to sheridan or even bear lodge & riding from there too. can pack enough on the bike for a couple days at least.

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
Leave your trailer in Laural Mt.,Ride to Red Lodge up and over Beartooth Pass.Then you can head throught the Park come out at Gardner, then get back on the interstate in Livingston,or go through Sunlight Basin,and head back to Laural.It realy depends on how many miles you want to put on your bikes there are many options.If you headed to West Yellowstone after the pass you can come out at Big Sky.That would be a long ride but very nice and plenty of lodging.

enjoy

wife and I rode from st. Paul to sturgis last year. left Sturgis thu afternoon and rode up through bighorns, around to Cooke, up to west summit,down cheif joseph highway, back through bighorns and back to sturgis saturday night. left back for st. paul sunday afternoon. If you go through Bighorns, be very carefull once it even starts getting dark. The deer come out like crazy @ dusk!!!!!!! Make sure you give yourself PLENTY of time as you do not travel near as fast as you think you can. way to windy and way to beautiful to go fast anyways. got to ride the sleds 2 times in cooke this year too, what an experience.

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
Let us all know when & where you decide on. Might end up with SW bike gathering - sounds like fun.

sounds like a good idea!

wife and I rode from st. Paul to sturgis last year. left Sturgis thu afternoon and rode up through bighorns, around to Cooke, up to west summit,down cheif joseph highway, back through bighorns and back to sturgis saturday night. left back for st. paul sunday afternoon. If you go through Bighorns, be very carefull once it even starts getting dark. The deer come out like crazy @ dusk!!!!!!! Make sure you give yourself PLENTY of time as you do not travel near as fast as you think you can. way to windy and way to beautiful to go fast anyways. got to ride the sleds 2 times in cooke this year too, what an experience.

can't be any worse than northern mn, we almost smoked a couple last summer too. i almost got a couple sheep in the bighorns a few years ago in july too. we also don't plan on flyin through the area, it is way to beautiful not to enjoy!!!

Premium Features