• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3-4 pulls to start after MTNTK Fix kit

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
I recently purchased a '16 Axys with 700ish miles that just had the topend rebuilt.
It had a Mtntk fix kit installed by a reputable shop in Idaho.
The seller told me that the kit raised the compression above stock and now it's harder to start.
Instead of being the typical 2 pulls to start when cold, it takes 3-4 pulls. Once it's run a little, it starts on the 1st pull.
Also, I noticed that it's idling a little above 2000 rpm even when warm. Could these 2 things be related and not a side effect of the fix kit?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i would be concerned with a vacuum leak with the hard start and high idle . spray it down with mist from a water bottle and see if you idle drops , this is a simple way to find a leak.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
i would be concerned with a vacuum leak with the hard start and high idle . spray it down with mist from a water bottle and see if you idle drops , this is a simple way to find a leak.

2nd that, this is where I would start then move to the TPS.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That was my first concern as well. Also...did he do the kit simply for performance gains? Rebuilding an Axys motor at 700 miles is very non-typical for either failure or preventative maint. Just makes a guy wonder why

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
As the previous owner, it was done as preventative maintenance as well the compression was below what Polaris found acceptable. Second as for the need to pull it three times to start, a simple call to mountain tek might answer all your questions and concerns, rather than pure internet speculation.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
As the previous owner, it was done as preventative maintenance as well the compression was below what Polaris found acceptable. Second as for the need to pull it three times to start, a simple call to mountain tek might answer all your questions and concerns, rather than pure internet speculation.

Yah, I'll give them a call. As you know, I was on the road all weekend and they weren't open when I got home Saturday evening.

3 pulls doesn't really bother me, it's the need for the 4th pull (usually needed when cold) mixed with the high idle when warmed up that got me wondering.
I've run a '13 and a 14' pro with the fix kit and both were 2 pulls when cold to start.

So, Im just trying to gather thoughts and ideas here after business hours.
For sure there is plenty of speculation and many keyboard experts on any internet forum, but I have found so much good and useful info on snowest just by asking.
I think most people would agree that there are plenty of guys on snowest that are far more capable than your average DEALER technician.
Just ask a local dealer to adjust your tps without the liquid wrench!

I'm happy with the sled, I just wanted to see if this seemed abnormal to other Axys owners.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
MTNTK says...

I just got off the phone with MTNTK.
They said their kit only raises compression marginally and will not make it any harder to start.

Based off the harder start and higher idle, he figured it was time to set the TPS. He felt pretty confident this would fix it because he said that they have a tendency to wander.

Thanks again!

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
How reliably does it go into reverse?

Very reliable, never misses reverse, but it's still on the trailer too.

I had a pro that never missed reverse until you needed it up on the mountain. Then it was 50/50 whether or not it would die going into reverse.

Premium Features