• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS clutching NA

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Mabe try some of Indy specialty v5 weights?

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
You can leave it hanging out as long as it's loctited, but the long bolt is less weight than the small bolt and 2 washers. You can try buying more washers and stack them, but I will save you the time and tell you it still likely won't work. The problem is in the heel of the weight and adding all that weight to the tip only slightly affects the heel and mid. These weights just don't grip the belt good enough to compensate for the strong upshift at lower elevations. I got up to 64g on a stock axys and it still didn't work at 6-8k feet. I am trying a 140-200 spring this weekend to see if that will slow the shift and allow these weights to work. Otherwise we will need something adjustable to work at lower elevations.

Have you tried "un-tucking" the weights? Moving the weight out will help your bet grip down low. Then again your changing your whole shift pattern. Just curious if you have been there done that

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Snow was absolute garbage today....rain amd warm weather just ruined the snow. Little bit of testing i got to do today i liked what it was doing. But very hard to tell what it will do in deep snow. Today it was like peanut butter snow, only sinking in about a foot if you really tried to let track dig in.
Setup i was running
Lightning weights at 65.4
stock primary spring 120-320
46-34
140-200 secondary
if i almost came to a stop on the hill and then went WOT, it would turn 82-8250 and climb to over 50 mph in the crap snow. It was pulling hard, but i could never actually keep pipe hot enough or work sled hard enough to do much. I think in real snow she would pull 8300 pretty easily. Clutches were clean and temps weren't crazy hot. Tony is being very generous and letting me keep the weights for a couple weeks for my trip to Canada. Should get in good snow up there and actually see what it does.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
With these L weights how can I add more weight to the tip.? Currently I'm running the short bolt with 2 washers but I need to add more. The long bolt screws in about half of its length and stops, is it ok/recommended to leave to long bolt just hanging out like that? Why even include these long bolts in the adjustability kit if they are too long for the threaded hole they belong?

I believe the long bolt is to lock the weight to the pin, Cat app.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Snow was absolute garbage today....rain amd warm weather just ruined the snow. Little bit of testing i got to do today i liked what it was doing. But very hard to tell what it will do in deep snow. Today it was like peanut butter snow, only sinking in about a foot if you really tried to let track dig in.
Setup i was running
Lightning weights at 65.4
stock primary spring 120-320
46-34
140-200 secondary
if i almost came to a stop on the hill and then went WOT, it would turn 82-8250 and climb to over 50 mph in the crap snow. It was pulling hard, but i could never actually keep pipe hot enough or work sled hard enough to do much. I think in real snow she would pull 8300 pretty easily. Clutches were clean and temps weren't crazy hot. Tony is being very generous and letting me keep the weights for a couple weeks for my trip to Canada. Should get in good snow up there and actually see what it does.

What elevation? We ride 5000-7000 and I'm setting up my NA buddy with a Lightning setup with either 46-32F or 46-34F helix.

Also, did you check belt to sheave with the Lightning weights? It should definitely be different from your Belly Busters

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
7k ft elevation. Yes, belt to sheave was way off, had to take a .020 shim out to keep my belt to sheave clearance at .030. Our snow sucks so Ian(Nosman4) and I are on the road headed for Wyoming today so we can ride with Tony on Friday. Should be awesome!!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Mr dktraw.... first off let me know if I am reading something wrong or I missed something.

You have been saying how your carl's set up just ripped, is that not correct??? awesome track speed, it just ripped. You put in the TRS set up and no dice. I think exact words were you went backwards.

I see today this thread pops up from last month. Middle of January you were having issues with your carls/slp set up. Low rpm, hot clutches, no power, ect....

What gives???

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Spaarky, if you go back in both of the threads you will see that when i was waiting for other clutch parts for the TRS setup, i was still obviously trying to get my Carls setup to work. A mechanic at Carls suggested maybe a bad spring even though it was brand new at the beginning of season. So i put in another new secondary spring in the Carls clutch setup, and BAM, 83-8400 and ripping awesome! Huge improvement. And the reason i said i went backwards was because the first TRS setup i tried didnt perform anywhere as close to how the Carls did when i was fighting the low rpm performance etc.
Now that ive repeated myself again for like the third time on my setups and findings, i have to ask you.....why are you constantly trying to find a lie or misleading statement in what i put on here? I have been testing Tonys setup constantly this past 2 months. Swapping tons of parts on the mountain, doing as Tony suggested. I have been trying to give honest feedback every time i tried somethimg, even if it meant Tonys setup didn't work. How can Tony improve and suggest without true honest feedback. I just drove 14hrs one way to ride one day with Tony up in Wyoming. We learned a lot about our different elevations and snow conditions, and further discussed what may or may not work. My buddy Ian rode his TRS clutching up there and it worked very well for him. He was pumped. But that same exact clutch setup, with 2 grams added for our lower elevation does not work at all. How does that honest feedback not help us and Tony dial in this clutching??
Im kinda getting tired of posting on this thread honestly.....its getting old repeating myself over and over again, and constantly defending my statements and whats going on.....maybe im still just tired after driving 28 hrs in 3 days! Lol

Last edited:

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
I stand corrected, i never updated the other post with my bad secondary spring findings, just this trs clutching thread. I will update that post

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
In all this clutch testing very seldom do two sleds run the same everyday one is always faster. Using Tonys recommendations or Carl's as a starting point. When the Clutches are tuned correctly there will be very little fluctuations in rpms. There are many variables that change such as elevation,temperature and air density. This affects horsepower of the machine the sensors on the sleds do not all read the same. I have owned sleds that have been on both ends of the spectrum. Some sleds are just turds. Tony posts great info on here and I appreciate all the information.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I tried gearing my speedwerx setup down with pro pullies just to see what it would do. Went backwards, felt snappy on bottom but just flat and boring on top and track speed was down to 36-39 uncorrected. Back to stock gears for me but was surprised just hearing it down changed it that much. RPM was at 8250-8300.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
tdorval, that's exactly how the speedwerx setup feels down here at our lower elevation. very snappy off the bottom end, but absolutely now pull on the top end. very boring is exactly how I described it earlier. your rpm and track speed is almost identical to what we were experiencing. very interesting indeed. thanks for letting us know.

K
May 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
I tried gearing my speedwerx setup down with pro pullies just to see what it would do. Went backwards, felt snappy on bottom but just flat and boring on top and track speed was down to 36-39 uncorrected. Back to stock gears for me but was surprised just hearing it down changed it that much. RPM was at 8250-8300.

If you geared down and lost track speed that is a sign the secondary is too tight. Often guys mistake this and go back to the higher gearing. Another sign is you hit the 'wall' with flat feeling on top.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
So as mentioned earlier, nosman4 and I made a quick trip to Wyoming to ride with Tony last Friday. Our snow is garbage here so needed to ride somewhere!! Snow was great, and sun even came out for us part of the day. Tony and Justin are awesome guys, and great to ride with. we had a blast! We learned a lot about our different snow conditions and elevations effecting the machines. Snow was mid chest deep and fairly heavy. Tony and Justin said it was way heavier than any snow they were used to. It was actually pretty normal snow for us and that kinda helped Tony know what we were dealing with at home on a normal basis. I ran a Lightning setup in my sled,
started the day with
63g lightning
120-320 spring
46-34 helix
140-200 spring
Only pulling about 8-8100 dropping down to 7900 often. Swapped in some 61g lightning weights. was holding 8100 more consistently but still dropping to 8000 often. Tony then suggested swapping complete secondary clutches with his machine. which was a 40-32 helix and 125-175 spring. I will note this helix did not work at all at home elevation of 8k ft and is the reason I had the 46-34 helix installed.
But up at Tonys elevation it seemed to work well in my sled. it pulled much harder, kept more pipe heat than the 46-34 and brought rpm up to where I was atleast seeing 8200 sometimes. Everyone's clutches were hot, we were working them hard and snow was heavy. I think the big reason my sled was not pulling Rs well was I had to put my wifes SSI can onto my sled at the last minute (my slp can was indisposed). I do not think it was holding enough heat in the pipe for optimal performance.
Again, we learned a lot that day. was a fun day. Ians sled ran awesome with the speedwerx setup but ill let him chime in with his experience on things.

20180209_125113.jpg 20180209_125108.jpg 20180209_115035.jpg

Last edited:

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Wherever Tony took us! Lol
We stayed in Cody, but drove out to Tonys cabin. We were riding in the Beartooths somewhere! Lol cant really tell you any specifics....we just followed Tony!!

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
It was great snow while we were riding with Tony and I don't feel like we could have asked for any better conditions, even saw some sun. My setup for the day we rode was:
110-290 Primary Spring
61g Speedwerx Lightning Weights
40-32F ER Helix
125-175 Secondary Spring
I started out with the 110-290 spring but everyone was down on R's probably due to the "heavy" snow as Tony called it. I would say it was incredible compared to Cascade Concrete we usually ride. I was slightly down on R's and swapped to the 120-320 Stock Primary spring and saw about the same R's when not on the pipe and only about 32mph track speed. Once the pipe got hot it was pushing about 38mph and pulling 8200-8300 consistently. I have always had trouble with my sled getting good pipe heat and I will say that I have only felt my sled run good with adequate pipe heat 2 times in one day of the life of the sled. I am currently around 600miles. The day we rode with Tony she was on the pipe all day and would get pipe heat very quickly. I think this speaks for itself about Tony's clutching. It loads the motor great and made me enjoy my sled again! I had a blast that day and wish we could have stayed longer... Now we just need to figure out a setup that will work for our elevation of 6-8k feet. I found a set of lightning weights and I am going to a 140-200 secondary spring. I will hopefully be trying this setup this weekend. Likely the snow will be hard, but a trail ride should tell me whether she can get into pipe heat and load the motor. We will see...
Ian

IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1263.JPG IMG_1265.JPG IMG_1266.JPG IMG_1268.JPG

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Very key note regarding pipe heat. I have had mine "fall off the pipe" numerous times when I just fire it up or randomly in certain scenarios and it feels absolutely useless. Like worse then a 600. Not sure what seems to make them like this but its the difference between pulling 8150+ and 40+mph track speed to like 7800 or worse and low 30's for track speed. The "soft" feeling you guys described is exactly how It feels. like the sled is completely detuned or something weird.

Premium Features