• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front feels way to heavy!

B
Feb 9, 2012
Sweden
In that picture, I take it the mounting wholes are moved down? What benefits do you gain from that? More front track pressure? And isn't there a company that makes stiffener brackets for the rails?
Yes the mountingPoint goes down and back, it feels lighter on the skis. It is soo easy to make your own brackets just some aluminium about the same thickness as the rails and you could make it as ugly or beautiful you like.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I went through this with my 13 M1100. I did 8" powderhound skis on the front and then tightened the spring on the front shock on the skid as much as I could like mentioned above. I ran my rear skid shock with about 140PSI in it. It definitely make a huge difference. Made it a lot easier to sidehill and carve without that nose wanting to stay down in the snow.

I am currently playing with the shocks on my 17 King Cat which was set terribly nose heavy from the dealer. The front skid shock only had 30PSI in the main chamber and 150 in the EVOL chamber. I will say it rode great on the trail with all of that ski pressure.

Last edited:
D
Sep 29, 2013
I have a 2013 and rode a 14 and 15 and mine was easier due to my setup but i dont find it heavy i side hill and boondock the sh** out of it i put the new a arms on and it handles like a dream i found the key is you cant ride it like a 2 stroke the on and off Throttle will make the front drop consistantly if you keep a little throttlw on the front end weight disappears now not always possible but it helps a lot and also dont be under 200lbs or the sled will ride you haha.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I found Polaris grippers made my viper handle better. It had 8 inch sly dogs before.. I wasn't overly impressed with their ability to sidehill.

There are a lot of things you can do to reduce weight as well.. but it gets costly. and there is little return for it if you decide you don't want to keep the sled... unless you buy an m8 then you can just transfer it..

Its been said numerous times, heavy spring front track shock, less air in rear, i ran around 50-60 lbs of air in the front ski shocks with the 38 inch stance.

If I had my time back I would have just bought the Barcode kit.. its changes these sleds big time!

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Polaris grippers

I see lots of riders have been stating, use Polaris gripper skis. I will do just that but does someone make a mounting or adapter kit for a Polaris ski to mount up to an AC spindle? I had seen one guy stated, use a die grinder and modify a set of $500 skis and if I don't have to go that route, I'd rather not.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
Try a set of 16 & up skis. Reuse your old ski parts. Buy new style bolt kit. Big gain, small cost.
Bouncing down I 90 heading to Tog.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Setup is key

I own a 2013 M1100T, love the sled. But out of the box it was more of a hate relationship. Things I did to improve the handling as follows:
- ditch the front track shock spring - it's too light at 115 lbs/inch. I used a Cat snowcross sled spring with 190#/inch rate until I bought my Kmod, which I also sprung heavier with a custom shock spring (225#/inch)
- ski alignment / wear bar condition is more critical on these sleds
- the 4 stroke doesn't need an aggressive ski. I tried powder pros, Mohawks, Mods, and 8" sly dogs. I ended up using the Polaris grippers and love them. Doo pilot 6.9's were ok, too.
- I ran a skinz front end when I narrowed the sled, but have since installed a 2016 Cat front end. Both work well and improve handling a bunch.
-wyo steering arm is a nice touch. I installed one last season and have been quite happy with the change.
Hope this helps

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
Polaris grippers. I used new Cat rubbers and only had to cut a couple nubs off the rubber to make it work well.

Run front shocks no higher than 70psi, rear no more than 150. Front skid spring is too light like many have mentioned. I like the Cat 90/250 front skid shock spring (P/N 1704-736).

Front end feels much lighter and comes out of the snow quickly. Wheelies all day long and minimal trenching. Throttle is your friend on these 4 strokes.

I also dropped and set the skid back like the 2016's.

260HP helps a lot....:face-icon-small-coo

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Center shock spring

I called country cat and ordered a thicker center shock spring. I think the pound rate is like 190 or 210? Don’t remember exactly but it for sure will make a difference. Hope this helps.

Premium Features