• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Our project hauler

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S

skidoo151

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
Yes, sorry. It made to Colorado and back from Michigan .
Had a coolant line fail but was easy fix, have soncerurnrd up
the fuel pump , raised timing and and upped govenor
. Runs like a beast now . School busses are severely detuned in stock for
Luckily we ran into some guys from
Wisconsin while in Colorado to steer us in the right direction for engine power. There may have been a gastation incident in Vail that might have involved a pole .???I will get some pics up soon but we leave for Colorado again on Friday .

S

skidoo151

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
So an update to the bus. It's gets around 7.5 mpg
while traveling at 72 mph . Yes we have slept in it
when needed but usually stay at a lodge or cabin
so we have somewhere to cook and shower . We
currently having a custom radiator and intercooler
being built as the old radiator was getting bad .
also taking it to diesel injector services in Grand Rapids
to have some pump work done to get the power up
and possibly a bigger turbo to keep our EGTs down
when we turn up the fuel .

S

skidoo151

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
Took the bus to Grand Rapids yesterday to Diesel Injection Services .. They were great to speak with on the phone and came highly recommended from a friend who's a truck driver . Their pump guy ( Nathen) was great as he maxed out our pump for us in the parking lot . Hoping this will give us enough extra power to climb the passes in Colorado with a little more speed . It made a huge difference here in Michigan with excelleration ,hope its the same in western states . If not we will be buying a bigger pump and turbo from DIS in January before the second trip out west .

S

skidoo151

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
We ( Jason) also made a new front bumper for the bus . This deer slayer is bad ***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
Looks good! Your bus was the inspiration for our build. We went with a 2004 freightliner with the Mercedes and air ride and air brakes. We need to find someone who can tune it as it only has a 210hp ecm on it now. Hits speed limiter at 72 but a bunch of rpms to go so hoping we can cruise the highway at 70-75 when we delete limiter. We took a little different approach and only have a small seating area and big box in rear. We didn't like the idea of them being in salt the whole way out and back. We can fit 4 inside and if necessary a fifth shoe horned and half out the back door. Also doing hitch to pull 2 place if necessary. Was trying to get the flooring done in the back today so we can take our pictures for an rv title conversion but currently sitting in er because I got sawdust in my eye and scratched my cornea pretty good...I know I should have worn glasses! Anyhow, thanks again for the inspiration and ideas.

Here are a few pics of the progress. Need to take some better ones sometime.
ef3e3df4db65875a57126fc4c42af2dc.jpg
9310b9eebbeef34fb30eea36caaf6cc9.jpg
688af8177e8c25027e7ef55692fc4095.jpg
823c8c9dad691e5d6883882daa3c08b0.jpg
9b0976f1e82280f1d51647a6da154000.jpg
1b4561ea382d2566191a54101c00df25.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

S

skidoo151

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
We didn't like the idea of fuel from sleds in with passengers , we are looking to possibly have canvas sides made for it . The 2top sleds never see any salt or road debris. Nice job on your. Us , its bad azz.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
Thanks, got all our pictures taken to convert to an rv and paperwork is sent to the state so as soon as our title comes back all the junk in the rear is coming out. We built a wall between the sleds, sealed air tight and it keeps all the gas and exhaust out of the cockpit. Also on the bottom we made a 3/16 steel "c" where the bottom leg is about 18" and is sealed and bolted through the floor to catch the sleds if a bad situation arises. I feel pretty confident they won't get through it but we have always tied the sleds down before and plan to in this as well.

We still have a bunch of little things to finish but just about ready. Biggest thing to do yet is glue the rear floor and get the ski guides in. Then it's just building storage and wiring up all the outlets/ tv/ cameras etc. We also want to get an on board av gas tank mounted under the bus sometime but might have to do cans until we figure out how we want to do it.

I realized you might not be able to see the wall in the other pictures so these show it a little better and also how we ended up doing the rear door.
0a2823422e97eb9a56b36f2fcde3d18e.jpg
f97d7fdbea813a23a8535e4e6d69553d.jpg
637927a9a752ecb245dd5481437f29a9.jpg
cc6d3f0cbc2e8f70f634612b29379dfd.jpg

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
I should also add a big factor for us not doing it how you did is our fuel tank is between the frame rails from right behind the rear axle to about 18"in front of the bumper so we couldn't beaver tail it without a while lot more work. But definitly envious of how much more room in the cockpit you guys have!

S

skidoo151

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
We found another 60 gal bus gas tank and mounted it on other side to hold av gas for the 2 of us that run it . Also just added another 30 gal tank for kerosene for the espar heater we have which gives us more range for driving . Your bus is awesome and so cool to more of them being built . It's a lot of work and money but it's worth to ride with your buddies and create memories while have a great time . We took ours to the novo snowshoe agin this year but with my wife and kids and another family plus 2 of my sled friends and was a great time .

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
Pretty sure we just missed you. You were pulling out of pilot in minooka as we were pulling in our bus. Guess we shall meet another time. Second trip for us and it was one of the best things we have done, so much better than riding in a pickup.

Premium Features