• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Altitude Clutching Apex XTX

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Going to Seley Lake, MT in about a month and I am new to clutching a Yamaha.

My service manual says that for higher altitudes I can use the same primary clutch weight number but not add any rivets? So my plan would be just to buy a set of weights and leave my flatlander weights intact.

Primary and Secondary springs look the same.

It shows that you can go down 1 tooth on the top gear. I wasn't a fan of changing gears on the Polaris mechanical reverse and I don't think this one would be much different? It aslmost appears I would need a chain with fewer links as well, 70 to 68?

My wife is the primary rider and doesn't do any highmarking kinds of activities.

I'm guessing the torque of the motor will carry her for most of the trail riding an minimal off trail riding we will do.

Clutch engagement though seems key.

It's about 6500 feet so not as tall as riding in CO or WY.

Any thoughts?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Its not the "right" way to do it, but I would wind the secondary spring 10 or 20 degrees tighter and ride it, doesn't cost a dime. Last I checked Yami weights weren't cheap.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
That's what I'd too. Last couple trips I've made to cooke we didn't change a thing on our apexs or the nytro I had. The fuel injection covers the jetting and the couple hundred rpm you are missing off of peak makes no real difference 95% of the time. That was at 8000+. At 6500 I certainly wouldn't worry about it

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Altitude

Its not the "right" way to do it, but I would wind the secondary spring 10 or 20 degrees tighter and ride it, doesn't cost a dime. Last I checked Yami weights weren't cheap.

I'm not very familiar with the Yamaha secondary. Evidently the clutch has notches for various prewinds to accomplish this? I'm much more familiar with the Team secondaries like that on a Polaris. You have to change the spring out to go lighter or higher. No winding the spring.

Premium Features