• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbocharged Carbed Renegade 1000 project

T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
Last year I finished up the 440 sno pro turbo sled with good results. Now its time to tackle the renegade carb conversion. The turbo is a garrett gt3582r with a stainless v band housing.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
That is going to be epic.

I think im in love. always wanted to run a 3582 on a 1L sled.. now time to see how it pans out.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Holy smokes that turbo looks huge! Are you sure it won't be to small for this application:face-icon-small-hap

T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
How difficult is it to convert a 1K to carbs?

Not to bad to switch over from what I was shown, I will be doing the switch as soon as my crank and top end return..

Gus Bohne was the first to do it as far as I know.
I'm using his method with a couple personal changes.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
It looks like you're using round slide carbs. Any reason if that's the case? I have one sitting on the bench waiting for transplant into an XP and I just widened the 800 carbs. The carb boots off the 800 ZX chassis or REVs work good for this. Most everything else is very easy and minor.

T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
It looks like you're using round slide carbs. Any reason if that's the case? I have one sitting on the bench waiting for transplant into an XP and I just widened the 800 carbs. The carb boots off the 800 ZX chassis or REVs work good for this. Most everything else is very easy and minor.

Just peronal preference really, been playing with round slides for ages, kinda know them inside out for tuning.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Yeah I understand that for sure. Not sure if the design of the engine will generate enough pull on the round slides to have a good strong carb signal, but they should work good. Very easy to tune with parts readily available. Good luck on the build. Looks good.

T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
A little busy this weekend with working Saterday and a little home time on sunday. I did manage to build the oil tank, there is so much room in this chassis, you can pretty much build anything and it will fit.

T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
worked on the sled today and managed to get the plenum figured out, now weld her up and powder coat black. I built what I think should work for high volume plenum . I made 3 " velocity stacks from cast aluminum 3 " water cam lock couplers which worked out good. Now time to build the fuel tank.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT

Keep in mind the 1K's have 52mm throttle bodies. Running 44-48mm roundslides carbs will still have a good carb signal.

G
Apr 23, 2008
signal is so strong even with no valves we only need aa 5 needle jets.

most others need bb series to get fuel flow. the newest one is getting 50mm megs.

good work Mike.

T
Sep 1, 2009
Keep in mind the 1K's have 52mm throttle bodies. Running 44-48mm roundslides carbs will still have a good carb signal.

Being a turbo engine, youre probably going to boost reference the bowl of the carb anyway so with the exception of the pilot circuit, who cares about a vacuum signal?

Last edited:
T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
Being a turbo engine, youre probably going to boost reference the bowl of the carb anyway so with the exception of the pilot circuit, who cares about a vacuum signal?

Need a little vacume for the blowoff

T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
This will be my arrangement under the seat which will be consealed. The fuel filler neck will be accessed thru the rear seat storage comparment. I have room on the plenum slash old fuel tank location for all the electronics and other stuff.

T

Team Voodoo

Aug 20, 2009
Been a little busy closing up for the winter but got some headway with the exhaust.
This shorty pipe should let them know whats in store for them when they pull up beside me.

Premium Features