• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to tune my 1st xp-t garret carb?

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
i just bought a used r&d turbokit with a 2871 turbo, a/f guage etc. My goal is to maintain 180hp at elevation on 91 octane non ethanol.

-how much do i increase boost with elevation?

-how much boost is needed to make 180 hp at 6k 7k 8k 9k 10k?

-I ran my xp raves off exhaust pressure before, can i still do this with the turbo?

-what is a safe and optimal a/f ratio?

-what jetting should i use? it has carbs already set up with powervalves. and is jetted to run 10psi on 100ll.

thanks

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
also, has anyone used the stock oil injection resevoir for the turbo oil resevoir? running premix and used the stock oil injection pump to pump it?

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
My sled likes 5-6psi for base fuel pressure. I would think you would use 320-340 mains. Start high and work down. 15 pilot jets. For 180hp Id say all you need is 3-5 lbs. The real fun starts around 7 lbs. 10 lbs is a blast.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
turbo

i just bought a used r&d turbokit with a 2871 turbo, a/f guage etc. My goal is to maintain 180hp at elevation on 91 octane non ethanol.

91 and turbo is no fun at all. My sled is 2860 and stock head and squish; I have to run extremely low boost to not hit knock sensor, under 6 lbs. I'd rather ride a big bore for that amount of boost. 2871 and head mods may allow for higher boost w/ out det., so you may be able to get away w/ it.

I run 8 and up all the time so??? 8 down low. 12-13 up high. I don't really use elevation necessarily as complete guide to boost but more of a combination of snow conditions and clutching. I adjust boost to achieve rpm up or down and usually leave primary at clicker 3. If I want to run higher boost levels (bump overall hp), I clicker to 1 first and then adjust boost. Otherwise I think I should be running pretty steady hp numbers to the track most of the time.

to many variables there, turbo size, charge temps etc.

-I ran my xp raves off exhaust pressure before, can i still do this with the turbo?

Do you mean something different then off the rave solenoids? Get pressure relief valve plumbed in w/ the solenoids and go. You won't have to wire or glue the bellows w/ the relief valve. I cheated and have mine after the solenoids w/out any issues. Some are putting before. Just a little more time/plumbing involved.

only have an egt so??

-what jetting should i use? it has carbs already set up with powervalves. and is jetted to run 10psi on 100ll.

Just as Visi said for jetting. My sled liked 5-6 base psi before running fuel pressure off pipe, 3-4 off pipe. Each seems a little different, so make sure you can fet to the regulator easily.

thanks

Ran stock oil pump to oil turbo last year. Worked great. Sled has been premix since the turbo was installed--almost 2000 miles ago now. Really like a tunnel dump exhaust also if you are going to be doing many changes right away.

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
turbo

91 and turbo is no fun at all. My sled is 2860 and stock head and squish; I have to run extremely low boost to not hit knock sensor, under 6 lbs. I'd rather ride a big bore for that amount of boost. 2871 and head mods may allow for higher boost w/ out det., so you may be able to get away w/ it.

I run 8 and up all the time so??? 8 down low. 12-13 up high. I don't really use elevation necessarily as complete guide to boost but more of a combination of snow conditions and clutching. I adjust boost to achieve rpm up or down and usually leave primary at clicker 3. If I want to run higher boost levels (bump overall hp), I clicker to 1 first and then adjust boost. Otherwise I think I should be running pretty steady hp numbers to the track most of the time.

to many variables there, turbo size, charge temps etc.

Do you mean something different then off the rave solenoids? Get pressure relief valve plumbed in w/ the solenoids and go. You won't have to wire or glue the bellows w/ the relief valve. I cheated and have mine after the solenoids w/out any issues. Some are putting before. Just a little more time/plumbing involved.

only have an egt so??

Just as Visi said for jetting. My sled liked 5-6 base psi before running fuel pressure off pipe, 3-4 off pipe. Each seems a little different, so make sure you can fet to the regulator easily.

thanks

Ran stock oil pump to oil turbo last year. Worked great. Sled has been premix since the turbo was installed--almost 2000 miles ago now. Really like a tunnel dump exhaust also if you are going to be doing many chanes right away.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT

thanks

I'm sure there is a equation that can figure the pressure vs altitude (It is just under 3.5% for every 1000' elevation off 14.7psi @ sea level) or 12.2psi @ 5000' and 10.1 @ 10,000'. Another thing to consider is, air density. Even though you can turn up the boost to compensate for elevation, the air density is not the same. AD is affected by both temp. and elevation. For example, 32*F- sea level- .080 AD, now same temp only 5000', .066 AD or .055 at 10K. As the temps go down the Air Density goes up (0*- sea level- .086 AD), meaning more oxygen to burn in the cylinders.

Last edited:
T

Torgenrud

Aug 3, 2013
Montana
Hi there, Im new to snowest but I have some info that might be of use here, I built a carbed turbo xp this year but with an aerocharger turbo.
I ride anywhere from 5000 ft to 7500 ft

I run 3 psi of fuel pressure at idle with a rising regulator that goes up a pound of fuel pressure with every pound of boost.
My turbo is set at 8 pounds of boost with 95 octane fuel but I also have an RK tek turbo head
I have 400 jets which some people say is way to big but they work just perfect in my sled, my air fuel is at 13.5 which is a touch to rich but is better than to lean. optimal air fuel is 14.7.
You should easily get the 180 horse from 5 pounds of boost and should be able to run pump gas at any of those elevations.
I also run power jets in my carbs in case I need any extra fuel.
One way or another your going to love your turbo after you get all the bugs worked out.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Torgenrud,

another turbo XP in MT... Where are you at?

I used to have 390 mains in my turbo w/ out problems. Had powerjets off for most riding. Only opened them up for riding in my yard or if I knew I'd be doing some long pulls.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
i've had an rk tek 860 for 3 yrs and havnt been impressed with it. i had to remove flywieght with it. even if it put out the claimed 180hp at sea level it would lose about 3% hp per 1000 ft so that is arounds 130-145hp at elevation. therefore 180hp at elevation should be quite an improvment. I also cut the stinger out of my stock pipe and welded all the seams as the previous owner told me to do. has anyone else done this? any pics of the tunnel dump exhaust?

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I can't find any old pics of when I did the tunnel dump. I'll try and remember to take one tomorrow. The hole goes in front of the chaincase into the area where the track comes around the drivers. If you take a look at your sled, you'll see the area, sort of a triangular area. It works perfect there, no bogging issues. I've had mine out the bottom, out the shock tower, and even up through the side panel. Tunnel dump is definitely the best.

What do you think was wrong w/ the big bore? Did you setup to Kelsey's specs? Otherwise it's usually tracking down an issue that is not related to the big bore, ie. raves, dpm, etc. Been running SHR 860 and 880 in my old man's sled, and have been nothing but impressed. 880 has me tempted to get another XP and make the turbo my backup sled.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
there wern't any issues with the big bore, it just didn't perform as well as some pple say. everything was set up as per kelsey plus full dynoport exhaust and v-force reeds. i had a drop in kit b4 the big bore and that worked just as good as the big bore. i also had a lot of detonation problems with the br9eya plugs he reccomends which cost me a couple bottom ends. i was even running 30% av gas.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Here are a few pics taken today. You'll see I'm in the middle of narrowing my sled and opening up the footwells.

I never feather my throttle unless I'm 1250 plus. If seeing 1300 often, I turn out powerjet a little more. Squeaked it once the first year but I was just over 1400 when I looked down--plugged powerjet--rider error.

Tunnel dump.JPG tunnel dump two.jpg

T

Torgenrud

Aug 3, 2013
Montana
Torgenrud,

another turbo XP in MT... Where are you at?

I used to have 390 mains in my turbo w/ out problems. Had powerjets off for most riding. Only opened them up for riding in my yard or if I knew I'd be doing some long pulls.

I live over in Polson but do most of my riding outside of Missoula on the Idaho border, as for turbo xp's I wish there was more runnin around here.

sledhead455

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Hi there, Im new to snowest but I have some info that might be of use here, I built a carbed turbo xp this year but with an aerocharger turbo.
I ride anywhere from 5000 ft to 7500 ft

I run 3 psi of fuel pressure at idle with a rising regulator that goes up a pound of fuel pressure with every pound of boost.
My turbo is set at 8 pounds of boost with 95 octane fuel but I also have an RK tek turbo head
I have 400 jets which some people say is way to big but they work just perfect in my sled, my air fuel is at 13.5 which is a touch to rich but is better than to lean. optimal air fuel is 14.7.
You should easily get the 180 horse from 5 pounds of boost and should be able to run pump gas at any of those elevations.
I also run power jets in my carbs in case I need any extra fuel.
One way or another your going to love your turbo after you get all the bugs worked out.

Be careful this info isn't entirely correct IMO. While 14.7 is considered perfect air/fuel ratio, it is not perfect at full throttle. It is way to lean. If you jet to run much more than 13-13.2 at full throttle you will burn it down. 12.5 is considered safe at full throttle. Not trying to step on anyone's toes but I would hate to have the OP have a very expensive lesson while following this advice.

B
Dec 13, 2007
NE Oregon
AF should be at 12-12.5 WFO. We all think 5 psi is all we need, and we all want to run 91 pump gas in the beginning and maybe my will power sucks. Then you hit the mountain and there's 3 ft of pow and a big hill or a chute you need a little more to climb. I run 7-10 psi and straight 110 for the last three years in my xp turbo with no problems. I like a little leaner main than 400 with a little powerjet for extra when on boost. When cruising you get a little better mileage when off boost. But when running a turbo the truth is you can't be to worried about mileage cause when your on the throttle the mileage isn't that good. I think each sled is a little different and there are many base numbers to start with on jetting, fuel press, clutching, gearing and etc, and my experience was after 2-3 tuning trips to the mountain I had it dialed in and haven't changed anything since. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvlby86VWc0

Premium Features