• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cylinder scoring

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I'm about 150-200 miles into a fresh aftermarket rebuild and noticed some lite scoring on the intake side cylinder walls about where the ring gaps are. so far i can only see three striations through the cross hatch, one on mags side and two on pto side. they are only felt by the finger nail and not otherwise noticeable by touch. I'm nervous that this is a sign of things to come.

would you run it without question or tear it down further and inspect.

IMAG0406.jpg IMAG0402.jpg

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
is that a single ring piston, looks like where the gap is on the ring

double ring forged piston.

I can actually see the ring gap in the reflection of the cylinder for the top ring. the score is a few mils off of that gap but lines up perfectly with the corner of the port.

I guess since i'm this far in it, i might as well tear it down and have a look. I'm pretty bummed because everything was within spec and measured twice. the cylinder had no scoring before it was re-honed either.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
check the ring end gaps..might be they closed up and butted..which if they did, they leave marks just like that...inspect the ends real close, if they touched you should be able to see it, if they didnt, recheck bore clearence(might need to be a thou or two looser) or it could be the port edge didnt get chamfered good enough...

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Looks like they may be a little tight. first one i pulled was .017 the rest were .020

i as just informed that .019-.028 is where to run them. i may have measured them too high in the cylinder before. this time i dropped it down an inch. i will try to set them all at .022

i'm thinking i may need to do a lite rehone and possibly new rings to fix this thing up. any thoughts?

also, upon tear down i noticed a familiar mark on the exhaust side mag piston...
the left side of the photo shows it. that's not just a reflection but at least its not gouging.

Last edited:

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
lol..... Oh, are you using the MTK kit on that? I installed the fix kit last year and I'm a believer.

yes, i think it will hold up. i just need to do it right this time around. after seeing a couple other lite scores on the cylinder not associated with the rings, i'll be tearing it down again after another 5-600miles to inspect.

i do want to point out that mtn tek has been helpful and always willing to give me good advice along the way. I would use them again.

Premium Features