• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Larger track, clearance and gearing/clutching questions

A
Sep 23, 2009
I have a 1997 670 summit I want to put a larger track on. I've searched and read some and from what I've read I can fit up to 1 3/4" (or is it closer to 1 7/8"?) with stock drivers. How difficult is it to trim a 2" down? Should I use a grinder or hand held wire cutters? I plan on putting a 144 or 151 on, will I have to regear it if I keep the stock driver? If I go do a smaller drive what is best 8 tooth or 7 tooth? What size shaft does this sled have? With the smaller driver will I need to regear it? Also I'm open to clutching advice. Thanks for any responses.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
track and gearing

I have a 96 670 summit. 8 tooth driver, 19 tooth upper gear in chain case, 44 helix 144 track. Does pretty good. I've been trying to get a couple more RRRR's when climbing and think it has nothing to do with the set up. More along the lines of mechanical issue.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I have a 1997 670 summit I want to put a larger track on. I've searched and read some and from what I've read I can fit up to 1 3/4" (or is it closer to 1 7/8"?) with stock drivers. How difficult is it to trim a 2" down? Should I use a grinder or hand held wire cutters? I plan on putting a 144 or 151 on, will I have to regear it if I keep the stock driver? If I go do a smaller drive what is best 8 tooth or 7 tooth? What size shaft does this sled have? With the smaller driver will I need to regear it? Also I'm open to clutching advice. Thanks for any responses.

Your shaft size is 1 1/4 inch a pretty popular gearing is around 19/45 for a 151 to 159 track, my 97 Summit mod sled i am parting out has 7 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers
which are close to the original diameter of a sled that would have a 136 or so track, it spun the track pretty fast and well was bottom end snappy and still went pretty fast alot faster than I really needed to go.

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/ddcard/

good luck, Darren

the diameter of the 7 tooth 3pitch compared to 9 tooth 2.52pitch is the 7 tooth is about 1/2 inch smaller, on another sled a 98 x we did fit a 2 inch challenger with stock 9 tooth 2.52 pitch extrovertdrivers and it did rub alittle for alittle while wasn't really a big deal but it dosen't anymore, we dropped on tooth on the bottom gear in the chaincase. and adjusted clutches alittle bit and that thing holds the tach at 8 when climbing and anything. also does have twin crankshops with stingers

Premium Features