• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

R&D Custom Turbo Werx Explaination

S
Dec 23, 2007
Lincoln, NE
I may not be a paying customer, but quite frankly i'm an american and that entitles me to my opinion no matter what so here goes :face-icon-small-coo
Dave, from what i've seen and read here, it seems to me that your predicament is mostly based on a lack of thought going into this business on the employee side. like you said you are only one man, and i know how you feel trying to do everything yourself. maybe instead of taking these peoples money and saying " hey yeah i'll get it to ya, " when you noticed that there was just way too many guys wanting a kit from you, and for obvious reasons, hire on someone fresh outta high school to help out with the simpler stuff. give that opportunity to someone to learn and help you at the same time. i know it's tuff bein a one man team, it can be done but as we see, it's very difficult. all i know is that yeah i would have been pissed waiting this long. but hey it's life, people really do need to learn to just calm down. if ya'll couldn't get ahold of him, you should have taken the time to go visit him at the shop. without being a bunch of overgrown children, thinkin you were gonna kick his @s$. either way glad to see you're back gettin er done. :beer; okay now everybody relax a bit and drink a beer you've been:deadhorse:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I feel the paying customers have a right to complain, anyone else can suck eggs.

Dave

It's too bad that you posted this. I always pull for small businesses to succeed. "Anyone" could be future customers. This kind of attitude for a business is unprofessional. I know it's probably hard for you to sit back and not speak up but it's only making things worse. Focus your communication on your current customers if you want to succeed. You have nothing to gain by speaking out at "anyone" or other businesses.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
I looked seriously at these kits, was courted by Jake quite actively, and thank god(or deity of your choice) being February, I decided to go another direction with my project.

After watching all of the marketing fluff that dominated these forums all last summer, I feel that I and anyone else who are now watching the unlucky ones who have lost money, had their expectations blown out of the water and are sitting on the edge of their seat mid-season just get a kit are in the right to have an opinion.

I saw what happened to a Tee Shirt guy a year ago or two (totally skewered), and that was a fraction of the $$$$ investment of ONE of these kits.

So, yeah - some honest disclosure is fair for us to ask for.
If things turn and go well, maybe we are your future customers.

Who knows...

MD.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
This is so true. I have been dealing with alot of issues and all the negative comments result in some of the posts because it goes right to my core. Not the best approach I know but sometimes enough is enough and I let my emotions cloud my judgment. My apologies.

Dave

It's too bad that you posted this. I always pull for small businesses to succeed. "Anyone" could be future customers. This kind of attitude for a business is unprofessional. I know it's probably hard for you to sit back and not speak up but it's only making things worse. Focus your communication on your current customers if you want to succeed. You have nothing to gain by speaking out at "anyone" or other businesses.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Nobody has or will lose any money. Things take time and it's unfortunate that the time line has been blown completely out of the water. Very frustrating on EVERYBODY'S part.

Dave

I looked seriously at these kits, was courted by Jake quite actively, and thank god(or deity of your choice) being February, I decided to go another direction with my project.

After watching all of the marketing fluff that dominated these forums all last summer, I feel that I and anyone else who are now watching the unlucky ones who have lost money, had their expectations blown out of the water and are sitting on the edge of their seat mid-season just get a kit are in the right to have an opinion.

I saw what happened to a Tee Shirt guy a year ago or two (totally skewered), and that was a fraction of the $$$$ investment of ONE of these kits.

So, yeah - some honest disclosure is fair for us to ask for.
If things turn and go well, maybe we are your future customers.

Who knows...

MD.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
What exactly is taking all the time anyways??? Last i heard it was charge tubes? If thats the case buy some pre bent pipes and silicone couplers and be done with it.

I know it cant be shortage of turbo's. You can have a garrett overnited anywhere in the 48. or any other turbo parts/accessories for that matter.

Charge box?.......welders are a dime a dozen....... There's like 20 in my town that i know of all hungry for work.

I realize i fall into the go suck on eggs category, but I just don't see why all the issues.....

Yes i have done fab work. Lots of custom one off stuff. Some pretty fancy automatic ag stuff too. Things like bale carries and what not. I feel pretty confident in saying that i know how long it takes to get things done..... and 3-6 months is a bit much.

All that the Doo forum guys got was hype hype hype...... and now its just suck on eggs. :face-icon-small-dis really?

I was pretty excited about a garrett kit on a skidoo. Probably as excited as anyone else. Everybody was. This was potentially new territory here.

Nobody wants to hear the i'm a one man show bit either.... There's lots of 1 and 2 man shows on snowest. And they have delivered more product and service than you can fathom. I promise.

Sorry if this seems kind rude, but lets not all just call this whole thing for what it is. I'll take salt on my eggs please Dave.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
egg_1372350c.jpg

What exactly is taking all the time anyways??? Last i heard it was charge tubes? If thats the case buy some pre bent pipes and silicone couplers and be done with it.

I know it cant be shortage of turbo's. You can have a garrett overnited anywhere in the 48. or any other turbo parts/accessories for that matter.

Charge box?.......welders are a dime a dozen....... There's like 20 in my town that i know of all hungry for work.

I realize i fall into the go suck on eggs category, but I just don't see why all the issues.....

Yes i have done fab work. Lots of custom one off stuff. Some pretty fancy automatic ag stuff too. Things like bale carries and what not. I feel pretty confident in saying that i know how long it takes to get things done..... and 3-6 months is a bit much.

All that the Doo forum guys got was hype hype hype...... and now its just suck on eggs. :face-icon-small-dis really?

I was pretty excited about a garrett kit on a skidoo. Probably as excited as anyone else. Everybody was. This was potentially new territory here.

Nobody wants to hear the i'm a one man show bit either.... There's lots of 1 and 2 man shows on snowest. And they have delivered more product and service than you can fathom. I promise.

Sorry if this seems kind rude, but lets not all just call this whole thing for what it is. I'll take salt on my eggs please Dave.
x2
but I like the seasoning from a chili ramen noodle on my eggs.yumm.
also i'm glad I couldn't afford to buy one in fall. Plus I wanted to see how the guys liked there kits, and if they were reliable.
but you can't even get them on a sled, let alone prove they're reliable. U say they are but you've made a few other claims on here that haven't panned out. I was thinking about getting a kit for next season, I guesss I should of contacted you in spring of 2003 for that kit hey.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
They might be ready for a jet ski application.:face-icon-small-sho

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I've been wathching this issue unfold for some time now, and I still am very surprised the way all this has gone down. Dave has been on here a long time and when he posted something I always read it as he usually had something useful to say and I could learn a little more. Seemed to be polite and stayed out of all the BS that goes on here at times.

I was very excited that He(Dave) was putting together a turbo kit for skidoo,as I'm just getting into turbo and I have a 09 XP that I may(should say I want but funds prohibit at this time) to put a turbo on it. I thought that Dave would be the man to do, and put a reliable product out on the snow.

That being said, and I may get flamed by DAve for it, as I too am in the "go suck it" category( but oh well), but I am very surprised as to how You(Dave) have handled yourself on these forums. I understand your frustration but as a businessman you should never, never take it out on people that are making comments, most comments that I have seen were really not that bad and I think you hurt yourself more by your retalitory remarks, they were immature, unprofessional, and uncalled for.

I am in the category of looking for a good turbo setup, but the way you have handled yourself will make me seriously consider whether or not your setup will be the one I go with or not. Of course, providing they are proven. Are they any setups up out there? Where is the feedback on how they work?

I will continue to watch how this unfolds, and watch how you handle yourself and future business interactions, as I am sure many will on this forum. You say screw this forum(paraphrasing of course), and again, very poor attitude on your part. I wonder how much of your business and sales have come from people on here, and even if you choose to snub us all, don't you think that this will affect sales overall. Most people I have spoke with on the hill, if not a member, at least know of snowest, don't you think that will affect your business? Word of mouth can make or break a business, but I'mm sure that you MUST know this.

I understand how you could have gotten into this mess, but I think honesty, getting back to your customers, and respecting peoples opinions, whether you think they should have one or not, can go a long way for people to be forgiving and give a guy a second chance.

Good luck, hope you make all your customers happy, and get all this straighten out. I am sure that you have learned a lot, but I hope that you learn that public relations is going to break you if you don't correct your attitude and do it quickly.

Sure you don't want to hear this, but I'm hoping that you keep yourself in line and I believe you will be alright. As it was said before, everyone that you told to go suck eggs, those are your potential future customers.

Good luck.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
im pretty sure the suck eggs comment was directed at a select few that are purposly stirring the pot on here.

i think dave is smart enough to know that a comment like that would hurt business.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
im pretty sure the suck eggs comment was directed at a select few that are purposly stirring the pot on here.

i think dave is smart enough to know that a comment like that would hurt business.

IMHO the select few as you refer, are alot more than you think. No one is stirring the pot other than Dave's customers! Why are his customers coming on a public forum and voicing thier displeasure with Dave's service?

Last edited:
M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
no there was a couple people that came on here just to start chit.

but yah i know what you are saying.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Vernal, UT
I can think of one guy that was just out for blood. But I think the rest of us are just telling the truth. And like it or not, thinking for ourselves. The notion that there is a couple people stoking the fire for the rest of us is absurd.
I really don't think that it should be to hard to believe that after all we have went through (sending $5090 check, two week promise turn around, no direct contact for a month, the "one man show" song and dance, just waiting on charge tubes, got the charge tubes, weeks and weeks still with no kit, or a kit in sight, etc...), that we can be upset with out some one "stoking our fire." I didn't have to read a word on here to know that things are not right with the way I have been dealt with.
Now I agree that there was one, maybe two guys that were just freaking out, who have no skin in the game, but as I recall most everyone at some point stopped listening and asked them to behave. The bashers on here are not hard to spot, and have little sway on the rest of us. We are not lemmings. I think R&D custom turbo werx is giving to little credit to the intelligence of those of us on the forum. Especially his customers.
I think I would be safe to say that those viewing the turbo forum are more than your average weekend warrior. We all know a thing or two, and it would make good business sense to not assume you are the only one that know what he is talking about.
This is the first time I have EVER delt with a business where the customer has been alway wrong. And it has been frustrating.... A lot.
About two weeks ago I returned a phone call after a few PMs from R&D. (Previous to this phone call I had decided some of my posts on here were to gossipy sounding and had decided to try and take the hight road with R&D from now on.) I looked on my phone and the call was 34 min of R&D literally all but screaming at me. I wont bore you with the details, but it was had to sit and try and take the high road during that call. When I was done with the call my wife commented that she was counting and I only said "yeah" twice and then said a short good bye during that whole phone call. Couple that with all the comments left on here; and can you see what I am talking about with my accusation that "the customer is always wrong" assertion?
All and all.... I just want my kit or my money back, witch ever is the fastest. I don't think that is to much to ask. Do you?:face-icon-small-sad

no there was a couple people that came on here just to start chit.

but yah i know what you are saying.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
So are there any kits on the snow.

Sorry for the all the people that put money down and still don't have anything.

Hope things work out for ya.

R
Nov 26, 2007
opinions and A-holes everyones got one here's mine.

I have no dog in this fight however, I do have an opinion and a suggestion.

Those of you who have funds wrapped up in this debacle are big boys and can handle this situation however you see fit and feel comfortable with.

That being said it appears (from what's been posted here) that little if any effort has been made at resolving things in a timely or professional manor. As consumers you have rights that protect you from this type of treatment.

Dave you need to be honest and forthcomming with your situation and your proposed resoltuion to the issues complicating these transactions. I am not saying this info needs to be posted here but it does need to be communicated with each of your customers.

To the customers. If a satisfactory resolution is not able to be reached, or is not being met, I recommend you start your recourse with the links below.

Good Luck to all involved!
http://www.state.sd.us/attorney/applications/consumer_complaints/default.asp

http://www.state.sd.us/attorney/office/divisions/consumer/default.asp

C
Dec 16, 2007
it says shipping turbos finally, has anyone got a turbo or is he just buying time. the snow will be gone and the poor guys that got hosed wont be able to ride. i think how he and jake have been ALL summer long he should give the kits to these guys for FREE.

Premium Features