• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Video cameras??

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
What are you guys using for camcorders? I stopped by Best Buy last night to take a look at them. The toolbox working there was of little help. I would assume the units that record onto a card or flash are best since there are fewer moving parts. One thing I recall from using cameras in the past was it was hard to see what you are filming in the bright sun. It was hard to see the LCD display. Are some better then others in this regard? The models they were displaying were around $300.

D

Doc Zoom

Nov 26, 2007
Helena, Montana
www.mountainmodmania.com
If your going to film outdoors, you MUST have a viewfinder. If you want to edit your footage, you will need a hotrod for a computer to render HD files, if you just want to plug into your tv, be sure to get a camera with a HDMI output so it will plug right into the newer tv's. I know you can go online and get a year or two older camera for 1/3rd the cost. I do like the newer cameras that use hard drives or cards, no more tape issues! Don't forget to back up your files!
Hope this helps!
Doc Zoom

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.
I bought a Sony Hd with 120 gb hard drive last year and it works great. Not cheap though. I forget the model #. There are disadvantages to hard drives over tape, ie: no backup if your hard drive fails. Some guys say they can be jumpy while recording, but I haven't noticed that being a problem. I love the touch screen access for play back, and I sure don't miss having to rewind tapes all the time. I really like the image stabilization over the cheaper ones I've had in the past. It's well worth paying extra for. It has no viewfinder as is typical with a lot of the newer units, and the display is definately a problem in sunlight. I built a shield for mine that I can slide on over the display and it helps a lot. Still not as good as a viewfinder though. That's probably the one thing I wish this camera had.

Premium Features