• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Turbo Kits---soon!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Put the guage(s) on top of the riser so that people can see them easily. Too many have a tough time looking at the stock guages to tune their clutching. Make reading the guages easy so they can tune or recognize something is wrong with the turbo set up.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
That's why I'm trying to get the boost a fuel pressure gauges in the factory dash panel where they are viewable sitting or standing. Egt or AFR gauge will be on the bar.

Dave

Put the guage(s) on top of the riser so that people can see them easily. Too many have a tough time looking at the stock guages to tune their clutching. Make reading the guages easy so they can tune or recognize something is wrong with the turbo set up.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
At this time Tony Doukas will be making the turbo reeds for this application and that will be included in the kit. Just the replacement turbo petals. Boyesen has some prototype full aluminum bodied Rage Cage assemblies out being tested that are kind of on the back burner as of now. I'm begging them to go into full production with these for the turbo application. The probduction Rage Cage they have now for the XP is kind of a joke. It still does nothing about the rubber boot.

Dave

Turbo Reeds?? Would that be an entire reed block and runner from the carburator?? Made thicker or what??

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
You seem very dedicated to building what people want. Please keep me on your list and when you finalize everything PM me.

BTW, would you be using Power Jets? I ride at 8000' and up, mostly around 10,000' so I know that becomes part of the equation. Again, I have to stress reliability. I'm keeping this sled for a while. But I don't wanna get taken to the cleaners with my buddy's T-RMK 700.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
If you consistantly ride one elevation you will hardly touch the power jets. They will come in the kit and will need tweeked some for elevation/temp changes. I think I have found a good knob for indexing them and actually turning the little buggers. Our baseline jetting I think we will set at 10000' and then anything under that and the powerjets will need opened to add fuel. Anything over that and just rejet the carbs or ride it a tad rich. The powerjets only add fuel. From our testing the turboed carbs don't seem to be as sensative to evlevation as a normal setup.

Dave

You seem very dedicated to building what people want. Please keep me on your list and when you finalize everything PM me.

BTW, would you be using Power Jets? I ride at 8000' and up, mostly around 10,000' so I know that becomes part of the equation. Again, I have to stress reliability. I'm keeping this sled for a while. But I don't wanna get taken to the cleaners with my buddy's T-RMK 700.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Salmon Arm
If you consistantly ride one elevation you will hardly touch the power jets. They will come in the kit and will need tweeked some for elevation/temp changes. I think I have found a good knob for indexing them and actually turning the little buggers. Our baseline jetting I think we will set at 10000' and then anything under that and the powerjets will need opened to add fuel. Anything over that and just rejet the carbs or ride it a tad rich. The powerjets only add fuel. From our testing the turboed carbs don't seem to be as sensative to evlevation as a normal setup.

Dave

I've rode with a friend of mine this season who rides a boosted XP with a 28-60 ball bearing garrett, but with a difference. Ya he had a lot of setup and tuning issues at first. It's tuned with the factory dpm for fuel, no power jets. I don't know of anyone who has done this. I think he's got about 1500 km. on it or more. Runs 8 psi of boost on ave gas. It's turning out to be a great reliable sled for a 2 stroker.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I've heard of this guy lurking around up north with this setup and would really like to talk to him about how he did this. I can't seem to wrap my head around all the details on how this would work. Not sure if I doubt it, but I would like an explaination. Good deal for him for sticking with it to get it to work. Hell, most guys ditch the DPM on the stock sleds.

Dave

I've rode with a friend of mine this season who rides a boosted XP with a 28-60 ball bearing garrett, but with a difference. Ya he had a lot of setup and tuning issues at first. It's tuned with the factory dpm for fuel, no power jets. I don't know of anyone who has done this. I think he's got about 1500 km. on it or more. Runs 8 psi of boost on ave gas. It's turning out to be a great reliable sled for a 2 stroker.

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
Good on ya Dale! Makes me want to purchase an XP since I have a remarkable Skidoo dealer down the road and you're so close! But that whole skidoo thing.......hahaha :D

R&D Custom Turbo Werx:
We sell horse power!!

I have been busting a$$ to get the finishing touches done on the turbo XP kits I will be selling for next season and pitcures will be coming soon. Mocking up another kit now for an 09 XP. Mine is for an 08 so we should have good comparisons between the two years. I just wanted to give some people something to think about as the season is winding down. I have not determined a final price on the kits yet but here is what will be included:

Garrett GT ballbearing turbo
Turbo muffler
Turbo filter
Turbo specific reeds. Hopefully a Boyesen Turbo Rage Cage
Boost controller
Charge box and charge tube
All required tubing, hoses and electrical
Fuel pump
Oil pump
EGT or AFR gauge
Fuel pressure gauge
Boost gauge
Fuel pressure regulator
Blow off valve (BOV)
Nord-Loc washers on the Y-pipe if you don't have them
Clutch tower brace if you don't have one
Carb mods
Power Jets
Rave valve mods
Gauge pod
Wiring harness with oem plugs so no spliceing. (plug and play)
Turbo to pipe adaptor. (no pipe mod required)
Clutching kit

I am trying to offer a turbo kit for the XP that you can easily install and then take off with little or no changes made to the sled for re-sale. You will keep your oil injection in use. There will be other options available too. Polishing, anodizing, powdercoating, chroming and ceramic plating will all be extra. Tial SS turbine housing will also be an option for those who want it. Side dump exhaust or out the bottom like factory. If you have the EGT or AFR gauge and want to use your own clutching knowledge the price will reflect those items you don't need. We will do installation and sell informative kits with detailed instructions with personal support as you need it. We have had good luck on the turbo Rev running everything from pump gas to race gas and hope the results will be the same for the XP kits. As of now we are focusing on full race gas kits at 12-15 pounds of boost and then being able to turn it down and run blended or pump fuel.

Please leave any feed back as to what you would like to see being offered. We might be overlooking something.

Dave Halverson
dwhalverson@rap.midco.net
605-791-2291 Home
605-484-6822 Cell

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Yeah Nate, Terry is a great dealer for Ski-doo. I have only rode with him a few times and have friends that buy sleds from him. I'm to cheap and poor to buy new and he doesnt sell used, but everyone I know that has dealt with him says nothing but good. I still have to get this XP over to him and have it registered through Ski-Doo. I still don't know about this Cat deal:rolleyes:. Not sure when they will step up and build a better quality product. The engine is bullet proof, but the rest of the sled is built cheap. imo. Oh well, I've always been a Ski-Doo guy and they were not interesting to me for a while and I played Cat rider. Now I have been seeing good things with the XP. I have never seen a stock or even some mod sleds claw and climb like this thing does. Truely amazing. I will keep the turboed Cat for now and use as a sled to test against because it does work so well. Unfortunatelly with two turboed XP's in our group the Cats days are numbered. If I sell the Cat then I will build myself a turboed XP and let the wife actually ride hers;). I like riding the Cat, I just don't like going from M to XP.

Dave

Good on ya Dale! Makes me want to purchase an XP since I have a remarkable Skidoo dealer down the road and you're so close! But that whole skidoo thing.......hahaha :D

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
If your Doo's do the deed Dale I would cross over. But you have alot of convincing to do :eek: But I know how long you have been around and I trust your word. I will get to Rapid in the next couple of weeks, i'd like to see what you have planned up close and personal if you're free.

Yeah Nate, Terry is a great dealer for Ski-doo. I have only rode with him a few times and have friends that buy sleds from him. I'm to cheap and poor to buy new and he doesnt sell used, but everyone I know that has dealt with him says nothing but good. I still have to get this XP over to him and have it registered through Ski-Doo. I still don't know about this Cat deal:rolleyes:. Not sure when they will step up and build a better quality product. The engine is bullet proof, but the rest of the sled is built cheap. imo. Oh well, I've always been a Ski-Doo guy and they were not interesting to me for a while and I played Cat rider. Now I have been seeing good things with the XP. I have never seen a stock or even some mod sleds claw and climb like this thing does. Truely amazing. I will keep the turboed Cat for now and use as a sled to test against because it does work so well. Unfortunatelly with two turboed XP's in our group the Cats days are numbered. If I sell the Cat then I will build myself a turboed XP and let the wife actually ride hers;). I like riding the Cat, I just don't like going from M to XP.

Dave

I know what you are saying about the snorkle. I debated for a few weeks about putting a penis extension on my Cat and finally did and the results on that chassis were none that I could tell or feel anyway. Yes colder air is better no doubt, but I have bent, crushed and ripped the thing completly off.
We are trying to get a decent (stealth) underhood cold air system setup done. That should not be too much of a challange. For those who want the penis extension, that's easy enough too. I have burned through barrles and barrles of gace gas and know the pain when buying it. When we go on family rides I usually let my oldest daughter or my wife ride my sled because it is easier to handle and they don't need full tilt power. I should get my Cat setup on pump gas but the turbo XP has been priority this season. So we are going to do the pump gas kits. My Xp is actually my wifes sled anyway and I should have it make less power than my Cat and build it for pump gas, but switching between pump and race gas isn't to big of a deal.

Dave

I agree, the snorkel gets ripped off. I came up with an idea for a cold air intake, put a vent on the hood, take some plastic, make a box with the filter in it that covers up the space of the hood vent and run a tube from the filter box to the turbo and bingo, a stealth cold air intake. Just and idea, feel free to use it if you like it:D. When I build one this summer I'll take pics for you, if it works. I'm putting thermal reflective (i think thats what it is called:confused:) fabric around the box and sealing it with silcone.

R
Dec 10, 2007
I have an 07' that me and Dave are going to turbo this summer also. I have known Dave for years and if there's one person I trust with sleds it's Dave. I have ridden his sleds along with the turboed REV that they have had built for the last 2 years and he has me convinced!

By the way, you need to get rid of that kitty kat Dave! Haha

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
In the trees I feel the carbed sleds are more responsive due to the clutching. I consistantly run 12-14psi on the Cat so some of the snappyness is lost due to the heavy clutching. The Cat has been dialed in to the nuts for three years now so it has that advantage. Still fine tuneing the clutching on the Ski-Doos. You can't really buy off the shelf turbo specific clutching for the Ski-Doos. Trial and error. Test and ture. R&D:D Anytime we have had the Ski-Doos out and the boost turned up the Cat has been home. Sorry no real side by side comarison:( I'm not trying to toss around any BS but that is how it is. Now in my opinion, seat of the pants it seems like the turboed carbed sleds get more done with slightly less boost. Sometimes I can't believe how low the boost he runs on the Ski-Doo and does what he does. Boost for boost XP chassis vs Cat chassis imho if you can hang on I feel the boosted XP will take you where you don't want to be. Drag raceing is a different game and I'm not setting the clutching parameters for that. Boondocking and hillclimbing.

Not sure if I answered very good or confused more. I need to let my pills wear off and go have a beer for breakfast:beer;:beer;. I'll try to clear it up after my med nap if your still in the dark.

So all bs aside how is the turbo xp doing against the turbo cat?? Boost for boost??

I dont like to get beat, in fact I hate it with a passion

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Justin

I know the Cat has to go, but it does give me a good test mule against the XP's. I need to sell some kits so I can buy another used XP and turbo that. Can't take Kristi's sled from her you know, that wouldn't be right;). I have to keep adding to the collection, so maybe I'll keep the Cat and let Hannah (13 year old daughter) ride it. She does need to step up from her big bore nitrous sled at some time right:D? Now get to work and make some $$$ and we will get you a kit done ASAP:D:D:D.

Dave

I have an 07' that me and Dave are going to turbo this summer also. I have known Dave for years and if there's one person I trust with sleds it's Dave. I have ridden his sleds along with the turboed REV that they have had built for the last 2 years and he has me convinced!

By the way, you need to get rid of that kitty kat Dave! Haha

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
In the trees I feel the carbed sleds are more responsive due to the clutching. I consistantly run 12-14psi on the Cat so some of the snappyness is lost due to the heavy clutching. The Cat has been dialed in to the nuts for three years now so it has that advantage. Still fine tuneing the clutching on the Ski-Doos. You can't really buy off the shelf turbo specific clutching for the Ski-Doos. Trial and error. Test and ture. R&D:D Anytime we have had the Ski-Doos out and the boost turned up the Cat has been home. Sorry no real side by side comarison:( I'm not trying to toss around any BS but that is how it is. Now in my opinion, seat of the pants it seems like the turboed carbed sleds get more done with slightly less boost. Sometimes I can't believe how low the boost he runs on the Ski-Doo and does what he does. Boost for boost XP chassis vs Cat chassis imho if you can hang on I feel the boosted XP will take you where you don't want to be. Drag raceing is a different game and I'm not setting the clutching parameters for that. Boondocking and hillclimbing.

Not sure if I answered very good or confused more. I need to let my pills wear off and go have a beer for breakfast:beer;:beer;. I'll try to clear it up after my med nap if your still in the dark.

Boondocking, carving up meadows and hillclimbing is where it's at! Drag racing is for peeps with small weiners that feel that they have to prove something. I know my sled won't win a drag and I'm fine with that, but she does like climbing. Oh Yeah!maybe we can work out some something for you testing the XP, DW! I ride nothing but mountains at high Elev and I try very hard to stay off trails. Ask the peeps that ride with me. It's all trees to get to my secret stashes, busting windblown booters, climbing and carving pristine meadows.

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
I hear alot of folks asking about price.....IMO when your modding a motor and your concerned about price your better off not attempting such a mod.

Turbo kits need to come complete with all the bells & whistles if there expected to run with the least amount of headaches...Bottom line you get what you pay for.

OT

R
Dec 10, 2007
I have to disagree to some extent. The cost of these kits seems to have more to do with the builders getting greedy than the quality of the kits. I would bet Dave's kit will be one of the cheaper kits on the market and won't lack any of the bells and wistles. It comes down to R&D and knowing how to make one run. Don't let his price, whatever it may be, worry you if it's cheaper than everybody elses. I know Dave and the quality, I'm sure, will be every bit as good if now better than any other builder out there.:beer;

Premium Features