• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on 2008 Artic Cat 800 154"

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Has 1800 miles and fairly stock with a few cosmetic upgrades. Mechanically stock

I'd be coming from a 2002 700 RMK 144" and I'm looking for something with better ergonomics. Even with bar risors the bars are still short on the RMK and without an upgraded seat the seated position is a joke.

Looking for reliability on a budget. Wish I could afford a newer RMK 155 but anything in my price range is likely an RMK exploder.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Rob
Maple Valley, WA

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The engine is awesome.

The only 2 bad things and they are not deal Breakers
2008 has reverse in the diamond drive, and a soft track.

Much better than the old edge chassis.

Alpha ......

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Awesome sled and motor.

Buddy bought a 2008 new...similar miles...only issue is he lost the diamond drive before the bearing issue was known. He still has it. Pull and go.

At that mileage, a few things to consider:
- You must check out the diamond drive and make sure all is good in there.
- The clutching is probably going to need some work soon...secondary rebuild and rollers in primary. Some primarys go along time, some seize a roller at 1000 miles (my 09 turbo seized a roller at 1k miles).

And if you can find a SLP pipe set, that works really well. No mapping/fueling changes required. Anything before the 2010 was down on HP due to pipe.

I have an 09 turbo with 1250 miles. Has been great minus a few issues with diamond drive bearing and primary clutch.

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Wow...looked into the diamond drive maintenance. That looks like a helluva job. I am fairly mechanically inclined but also can get myself in trouble at times (like i feel like we all can). Hmmm...whose gonna start making sleds with good motors AND good drive systems?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Wow...looked into the diamond drive maintenance. That looks like a helluva job. I am fairly mechanically inclined but also can get myself in trouble at times (like i feel like we all can). Hmmm...whose gonna start making sleds with good motors AND good drive systems?
Good engine & Good drive system, just bad bearings in the DD; Easy fix= Great sled!:face-icon-small-coo

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Not hard to change the bearing.
Other than the one bearing, the diamond drive is a strong durable system.

Alpha ......

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
I tried searching up the internet but didnt find anything describing the specific bearing that is the issue. Can someone please point me to a thread that shows this weakness.

Thank you,
Rob

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
H
Jan 16, 2018
Rock springs wy
Dd drive

Dd drive not to hard just pull the secondary and take the nuts off the outside of case . The hole case should pull right out .

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Yeah i saw that thread...just didnt think it applied since it was the wrong years.

Premium Features