• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'98 Phazer SS ?

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I picked up a Phazer SS (stock with a extra wide stance and electric start) for my 11yr daughter so ride.

But it has a problem. It will idle fine. But 98% if the time once you try to give it gas it will just die. If you flip up the choke it will go okay. I have rode it around the field in the back yard and if you are holding the throttle stationary. It will just start to fade down. Unless you choke it. If you pinned the throttle it will climb to full rpm. But as soon as you let off the throttle it will start to fade and will die if you do not choke it.

When I purchased it I though a good carb cleaning would fix it. (or not)

I pulled the carbs down and soaked and cleaned them in carb cleaner. cleaned and inspected each jet and reassembled. They looks surprisingly clean inside. I noticed that he sinc screw had the carbs way out of sinc. (I wondered if the old owner adjusted this screw trying to fix the issue). But the issue is still there. The fuel screw in the front top is out 1 1/8" turns out. Is this even close to the right position. (i am wondering if maybe they adjusted those)

I am lost. Any ideas I can try?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
One thing to check is that the rubber plugs are in the proper place inside the float bowl chamber. One should be over the pilot jet and the other over the center hole. The third hole does not have one on it. There are some posts on the internet that say the pilot should not have the rubber plug over it but that is wrong. This is a link to verify this http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/94173-93-Phazer-issues/page2?highlight=rubber+plugs You have the exact same carbs as the Phazer II.
The pilot fuel screw sounds about right if you're 5000 feet or so. I believe I had mine set at 1 1/8 out and I rode mostly 5000 to 6500 feet. Stock setting of 1 1/2 turns out is for sea level.
Also if you look inside the carb throat in the area where the butterfly valve just contacts the throat you will see 3 tiny holes (you will have to open the throttle plate just a bit to see them). The holes go into a chamber that is unreachable underneath the round welch plug on top of the carb unless you remove the welch plug. It is very hard to find another welch plug to replace it if you do remove it. The purpose of the holes is to supply extra gasoline for the transition between idle and 3/8 throttle when the main jet starts to supply most of the fuel required. My point is that there may be varnish in the chamber plugging one or more of the holes. You would probably have to soak the carbs for a long time in order to dissolve any varnish in there. Best bet is to poke some very fine wire into each hole to clear it and then shoot some carb cleaner or Sea Foam spray into the holes if you can. After that try running some Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your gas for a tank or two.

Last edited:

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Thanks, "pop"

I will look at those three holes. I noted where the black pilot jet plugs where when I took the carbs apart. Then I double check online and found I have them correct. Thanks again I will go look for those three holes.

One thing to check is that the rubber plugs are in the proper place inside the float bowl chamber. One should be over the pilot jet and the other over the center hole. The third hole does not have one on it. There are some posts on the internet that say the pilot should not have the rubber plug over it but that is wrong. This is a link to verify this http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/94173-93-Phazer-issues/page2?highlight=rubber+plugs You have the exact same plugs as the Phazer II.
The pilot fuel screw sounds about right if you're 5000 feet or so. I believe I had mine set at 1 1/8 out and I rode mostly 5000 to 6500 feet. Stock setting of 1 1/2 turns out is for sea level.
Also if you look inside the carb throat in the area where the butterfly valve just contacts the throat you will see 3 tiny holes (you will have to open the throttle plate just a bit to see them). The holes go into a chamber that is unreachable underneath the round welch plug on top of the carb unless you remove the welch plug. It is very hard to find another welch plug to replace it if you do remove it. The purpose of the holes is to supply extra gasoline for the transition between idle and 3/8 throttle when the main jet starts to supply most of the fuel required. My point is that there may be varnish in the chamber plugging one or more of the holes. You would probably have to soak the carbs for a long time in order to dissolve any varnish in there. Best bet is to poke some very fine wire into each hole to clear it and then shoot some carb cleaner or Sea Foam spray into the holes if you can. After that try running some Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your gas for a tank or two.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Sorry it has taken so long my life is crazy right know. I found the holes. I cleaned them out with a pin. and shot a whole can of cleaner through them. They did seemed plugged. But they look to be flowing fine now. With it on a stand it still is bogging. NOT as bad but it is not gone ether. I turned the fuel screw open an additional 1/2 turn. This helped a lot but it still bogs. Not nearly as bad as it was originally. I am thinking I will try running some sea foam through it and see if it gets better. I am wondering if there is junk be hind those ports that keep plugging it up.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yeah there probably is some varnish left in there and the Sea Foam should eventually get rid of it. Because those holes flow more fuel at low throttle positions than at higher ones you might want to go on a real slow ride with it as much as possible.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I finally got back to the little Phazer. I pulled the carbs 5 times last year trying to figure this out. I soaked them for days 3 of those times. And sprayed a can of carb cleaner through them. Then another can the other 2 times. It is getting better but not right yet.

Fast forward to now. I pulled them again. Got a new gallon can of carb cleaner and 2 cans of spray. I soaked them for 3 days then sprayed a can a peace of cleaner through every port, jet, and hole I could find. It seams to flow out the little ports just fine. I put it all back together, and it is still really boggy at the mid range.

That is right where my daughter is at in her confidence speed. So it sucks for her to ride. It is like a built in governor. You can ease it up to about 20 and it will run all day long. If you go up between 20 and 30 you have to flip the choke on and off to keep it going. If you go strait to full throttle it will bog but pull through to running great on the top end.

My only idea left is that there is some thing in the that top ports that when I spray cleaner throw is moving out of the way until it they are installed then it falls over the holes. But I can not get in to it.

Does anyone know if those little ports run fuel at full throttle? It appears to me that they would but I am not sure.

I am thinking adding Sea Foam and or fuel system cleaner in the gas and take and run it for a long ride and maybe it will brake it down?

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I finally figured it out. I found the pilot is suppose to be a 95 was a 40 the clutch cover had 90 wrighten on it. But i think they miss read it and thought they were 90's.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Interesting. Just pulled one apart last night with totally plugged pilots but still runs exactly the same as this.

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
jets

Try changing spark plugs, bad plugs could possibly do this.

Last edited:
Premium Features