• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

does anyone have any time on the inreach SE yet?

S

Shelfrost

Nov 28, 2007
Chetwynd, BC, Canada
Works awesome! Best part is saving the battery on your smartphone. Quicker to see you have a message and reply to it. If you can pass your original inreach on to a buddy, it might be worth the upgrade for you.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Each time I swap it seems I just have to post the old one up on FB and it's gone in about 5 minutes. My last two spots are both in use by folks on here :D

I saw a video on youtube that showed the keyboard being used... seems better than I expected. I'm thinking I'll be harassing the guys at snowbigdeal for one pretty soon here!!

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
Due to the lackluster performance of my spot this past season, and its expiring contract, I think I want to try the inreach as well. Can you pair it with an ipod to text with?

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
From the website:

Messaging
Compose email or SMS address on the fly, or select from inReach address book
Compose and send messages
View inbox
Post to Facebook or Twitter
Interactive SOS
Describe your situation in detail to improve emergency response
Stay in touch for mutual status updates on your situation
Automatic location tracking with updates every 10 minutes
Tracking
User selected tracking interval (10 minutes to 4 hours)
Position accuracy to within 5 meters
View tracking breadcrumbs online
Navigate
Navigate with confidence using DeLorme Topo North America GPS maps (full US and Canada coverage) and NOAA (US) nautical charts
Unlike streaming maps, your downloaded maps remain available even when outside of cellular coverage
Wireless Pairing
inReach connects wirelessly via Bluetooth
Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Android smartphones and tablets
DeLorme Earthmate App
Enables inReach-smartphone communication features
Enables free Topo North America map and NOAA nautical chart downloads
Available free online at iTunes App Store or Google Play

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have to say the Inreach SE works as advertised. I've even tried it at 41,000 ft and it is super accurate. Texting works great. Also Tasia at Inreach is super helpful and solved all my questions.

One piece of info I didn't realize is a track is actually considered one breadcrumb if you will. Not that I would use tracks, use GPS. When u text someone it acts as track point but doesn't cost you one track.

My only recommendation to Delorme is to have downloadable Google Earth maps. They are more detailed when zoomed in. Hopefully in the future !

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have to say the Inreach SE works as advertised. I've even tried it at 41,000 ft and it is super accurate. Texting works great. Also Tasia at Inreach is super helpful and solved all my questions.

One piece of info I didn't realize is a track is actually considered one breadcrumb if you will. Not that I would use tracks, use GPS. When u text someone it acts as track point but doesn't cost you one track.

My only recommendation to Delorme is to have downloadable Google Earth maps. They are more detailed when zoomed in. Hopefully in the future !

Interesting, I've actually been really happy with the delorme maps when using them on my Note II. I feel like they're at least on par with Google from a topo perspective.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I was told Delorme does not have satellite imagery for the Earthmate App ?? I know you can download topo maps. The maps on the Explore Delorme are pretty good but I can't take those with me. Can you explain how to download the sat imagery !

Thanks

I

ice man

Jan 26, 2008
oliver bc canada
I love my delorme,2 way texting is great,can let the wife know when your back at the truck and gona be late,have contact from my back country camp all summer,would not go without it

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Got my SE a few weeks ago from snowbigdeal & took about 7.5 seconds to sell my inreach to a friend!

Been using it... interface is a tad tedious, I'd say it's a bit smoother than entering place names into a garmin 60 series GPS. Not fast, but not "hard" either...

LOVE the 2 way on this... so much smoother than using the phone, you can send someone a text, and then a little later tell the SE to check for messages & it's there in a second. (it normally checks for messages every 5 minutes, to save battery, but during a conversation it's real easy to use)

It still links to the phone if you want a bigger screen, easier typing, maps, all that stuff... but for the essentials, and having a required conversation with someone, this is a huge step up.

As to maps, I've looked at it & don't think you can download sat... just topo. Keep in mind, you can still download google maps in your phone. I just don't really use this as a mapping device (I have a couple times though), it's more like a cell phone for me. For just mapping though, you can just use the cell with GM & save the inreach batteries.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Bought my folks one for christmas because they ride horses in the mountains alot and they are in their upper 70's. I am going to have to send it back because it doesn't go to right worth a darn when trying to text. up, down and left work awesome. 10 times better than the spot.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
What plans are you utilizing for Inreach?

Considering purchasing one. Not sure which plan would be best for a sledding application. It looks like some have fees for messaging, some don't. Help????

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
What plans are you utilizing for Inreach?

Considering purchasing one. Not sure which plan would be best for a sledding application. It looks like some have fees for messaging, some don't. Help????

I use the $10 a month plan, it gives me 10 messages a month, I see that as 2/weekend, and 2 for an emergency. This last summer I had an incident where I lost a chain on the other side of a backcountry pass & had to have my wife bring the Jeep to pick me up... I used an extra 3 messages that day on top of my monthy. The bill was like $14 that month, it was worth it :D

I don't need tracking... mine is just an emergency tool that goes in my pack for sledding or biking, or goes with us when wheeling.

OEUnlimited

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
www.oeunlimited.com
We offer both the SE and Explorer for rent now. After a bunch of rentals the reviews from our customers have been outstanding. Just about everyone is reporting good signals, very few messages not going through, great battery life, etc.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Am I the only one that has trouble seeing the screen on these things?

Yea I'm at the reading glass age and only wear them at home, but still.

Anyways, bright sunny day firing the thing up in the parking lot I have to literally put the thing down by the truck pedals to be able to see the screen.

Next time is snow day with pretty low vis, trouble again seeing it as the screen was acting like a mirror in the low light.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have my brightness turned up to 100 percent and use the "light" color scheme and it works fine for me.

Premium Features