• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reverse Lights On Trailer

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I added reverse lights to my trailer to help illuminate while backing in Alaska's famous winter darkness. We are always driving out to our riding areas and back home in the dark, so I added these lights to help in parking after a long day (the ramps block the truck reverse lighting). Thanks to 94fordguy for the idea and help on installation.

Layout the lights so they will line up with the factory tail lights
DSC_0075 - Copy.JPG

Drill 2-1/2" holes with a holesaw (be carefull so you don't damage wiring)
DSC_0076 - Copy.JPG

Cut between holes with a sawzall (be carefull so you don't damage wiring)
DSC_0078 - Copy.JPG

Fish wire between rear of trailer and tongue. Connect wire to the new reverse lights and tie into existing ground from tailights
DSC_0081 - Copy.JPG

Connect wire to the center reverse pin on 7 wire plug
DSC_0082 - Copy.JPG

Installed lights
DSC_0084 - Copy.JPG

Light test
DSC_0085 - Copy.JPG

I also added tall reflective markers on the rear trailer corners to help see where the trailer is when backing. Snow is falling on the mountain peaks up here, time to start getting ready for another season! Anyone else have any ideas for an open trailer that they want to share?

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Nice job man, looks just like mine:beer;

Excellent write-up:face-icon-small-coo

100_6963.jpg

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I opted for a tractor light underneath. This floods the trailer tires, which I can see, when backing up in the dark. Being that the enclosed trailer is so big, it wouldn't help me as much to have the lights on the very back.

I may put a toggle switch in for this light so I can light up the tires in case of a nocturnal change, or tire chain issues. As of right now, it just comes on with the reverse lights.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
That's an excellent idea... I did a variant of that when I did back-up lights on the enclosed I picked up... 2 at the rear and 2 just in front of the tires for added side lighting, works great...:beer; I haven't got around to putting a toggle in for the trailer lights, but I did have one in my Expedition and from experience there I would highly recommend it :beer;

L
May 15, 2009
That's an excellent idea... I did a variant of that when I did back-up lights on the enclosed I picked up... 2 at the rear and 2 just in front of the tires for added side lighting, works great...:beer;

Would you have pictures of the front lights you could post?
Have backup lights on the trailer and your idea has me thinking:face-icon-small-dis
Thanks

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
That's an excellent idea... I did a variant of that when I did back-up lights on the enclosed I picked up... 2 at the rear and 2 just in front of the tires for added side lighting, works great...:beer;

Would you have pictures of the front lights you could post?
Have backup lights on the trailer and your idea has me thinking:face-icon-small-dis
Thanks

I will try to take a couple today and post them up asap... :beer;

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I don't have any shots at night, but the side-lights sure are nice for maneuvering... If I didn't have the loading light pole on my 4-place open above (that I am trying to sell), I would do something like this on it also.

100_7110-1.jpg

100_7276.jpg

100_7264.jpg

100_7268.jpg

100_7269.jpg

100_7271.jpg

100_7266.jpg

Last edited:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Glad I went through this thread. Some excellent ideas to be able to see the places you back into at night. I really need to add some lights to my rig. This thing can be the ultimate beast to see when backing up at night especially between other race trailers. I did add quite a few more running lights last summer to see the corners and just to bling it out a little, but it's still dark as shiii especially when there is no moon. I'll post some pics if I can get around to adding any more lights.

racer

IMG-20110714-00098.jpg

IMG00124-20101023-1855.jpg

IMG00126-20101023-1855.jpg

Bilko

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2008
Cali
I did the same thing on my 26ft Enclosed. I wired in a relay to the trailer battery and a switch, so that it would be controlled by the truck in reverse and the switch for loading lights with or without truck. The relay was put in so that I did not run too long of a wire (Dim lights) all the way to the back. I used tractor implement lights from Napa they were only $7 and are bright.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'll have to get some pics for ya. I ordered some LED boat docking lights and installed them on side wall of trailer juse behind the wheel wells. Light up down the side of trailer just like one of the pics above. works great.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Post some pics on here noob. Are they wired into the reverse lights or do you have an auxiliary switch to turn them on/off as needed?

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
I added reverse lights to my trailer to help illuminate while backing in Alaska's famous winter darkness. We are always driving out to our riding areas and back home in the dark, so I added these lights to help in parking after a long day (the ramps block the truck reverse lighting). Thanks to 94fordguy for the idea and help on installation.

I also added tall reflective markers on the rear trailer corners to help see where the trailer is when backing. Snow is falling on the mountain peaks up here, time to start getting ready for another season! Anyone else have any ideas for an open trailer that they want to share?

Great post & pics of your trailer mods. The lights & markers will give you much better visability when backing up. I have the same type of trailer with the ski runners screwed into the plywood deck.

What type of sealer do you use to seal the trailer deck?

appreciate it,

akrevrider

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Great post & pics of your trailer mods. The lights & markers will give you much better visability when backing up. I have the same type of trailer with the ski runners screwed into the plywood deck.

What type of sealer do you use to seal the trailer deck?

appreciate it,

akrevrider

I put a fresh coat of Thompsons WaterSeal on the deck every summer (only takes about 20 minutes). It helps the deck last a little longer and makes it easier to clean the snow off in the winter and mud from the wheelers in the summer. With the prices of trailers up here, anything to help them last is money well spent in my opinion.

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
I installed two 100W Cat work lights on the back of my enclosed trailer and ran the power for them off of the batteries in the trailer with a relay that is controlled by the backup lights on my pickup, I also wired in a switch to the normally closed side of the relay so I can flip the lights on without the pickup being hooked up. It makes a huge difference when backing up at night or loading/unloading at night. I have a couple of extra lights laying around I think I will mount them in front of the tires to help light the side of the trailer while backing and also in the event of a tire change at night. Thanks 94fordguy for the idea!!!!!!!

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Here's a pic in building and final stage. After all was said and done I should have put another one closer to the front of the trailer as well. Works well. It's wired to run when I put the truck in reverse as well.

LonePine_trailer2.jpg trailersidepic.jpg

Premium Features