• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'85 phazer powering down

R
Oct 9, 2009
Belgrade
Question for you phazer experts.
Have an '85 that ran great up the trail for 4 or 5 miles, and then shut down as if only running on 1 cylinder. Barely had enough power to pull it's own weight. Left it for the rest of the day, and on the way out fired up an ran good almost to the truck. Powered down again when it warmed up.

Where do i start? Don't know much about these machines.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Good ideas from everyone and all worth checking. My first notion was the coil. I've seen them go bad on these. Real simple to check. Warm it up to duplicate the situation and check for spark on the cylinder that won't light. Good luck!

S
Mar 19, 2008
good thoughts so far you .another item to check would be your crank seals for leakage. how about your fuel tank vent line? make sure its not plugged or pinched.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Selah WA.
sounds like a bad wire in the ignition stater windings, as thay get hot the wire expands and loses contact. then it cools and makes contact again until it heats up. i'v had to do two of these on two seprate phazers
hope that helps

I

itsforsale

Dec 19, 2008
Missoula
when its starts to act up start unplugging wires from the stator to the lighting wires. if it runs better without power to lights or handwarmers then you know its electrical. also if thats not it check for cracks in the case. When the sled warms up after a while the metal will expand and will cause a vacuum leak making them run like poo. plus phazers are known to have the chokes stick in the choked position. you can eliminate them and put on a primer. the chokes on these carbs are a little weird. you need to leave the retention screws in them so the choke is off. pull them all the way out and the choke will be "stuck on". hope my babbling helps

Premium Features