• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 670X thermostat?

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
Hey guys I have a 98 670 Summit X bored twice over (+1mm) and it seems to have too much engine cooling. When it is really cold out or I get into some deep powder I foul plugs although the jetting is excellent on the trails. To combat this last year I would increase the heat range from BR9ES to BR8ES on the cold powder days both plugs are specified in the manual. Increasing the heat range helped but it still has trouble keeping the plug hot enough. I am fairly confident in the jetting since it runs great anywhere but in the powder and the insulator color is nice butterscotch.

This summer I put some CPI twins a and Polaris series 4 159" on. So I believe I am getting more even more snow to my coolers.

Question is, is there a thermo stat and do they fail open or fail close? Any other insight? Dare I go BR7ES on the cold fluff days?

I checked my service manual and it says there is one but babbits doesn't show one for my sled.

repairboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2007
Lincoln,NE
thermostat

Yes there should be a thermostat in system, may be open flowing all the time not allowing for engine to come up in temp. If you have ? call me at 402-890-7730 jon j

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Not a uncommon issue with the 670 as they get older especially. I have had several thermostats go--both ways--but when they go the other way--it really sucks.

Go get a new thermostat and see how it goes.

H20SKE...

Ya the T stat can fail eithe way sometimes. OR, it may even be removed? A trick, and what I do, it run a restrictor in the coolant bypass line, and take out the T stat. Just use the "ring" of the T stat. tear the guts of the stat out and use the outer ring. Check it, it's the top outlet of the head, above the carbs. theres a fitting with 2 bolts, the T stat should be underneith.

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
How often do they fail closed. What would be a good "preventative" milelage to replace so I don't have one fail closed on me.

Thanks guys I ordered a thermostate Tuesday before I left for Thanksgiving. I'll put it in when I return home. Appreciate the number Repair Boy I'll give you a shout if I need.

Premium Features