• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex, 2863, 2871, or?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Looking for something that can move more air other than a 2860. Anybody run a 2863 on an apex?

Im going to be doing some internals to make my motor be able to handle the few times I turn it up. Just needing more than what the 2860 can put out so seeing what others opinions are!

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
X2 on the 3071 if you wanna be pushing 400 but otherwise my vote is 2871 is awesome for running a lil extra boost on the apex

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
I would look strongly at the GTX2867 (275-480hp 3L engine) its Hp band is higher than a gt2871. I run the gtx2863 on my viper with great success. Also good benefit to the GTX series turbos is they run a billet aluminum compressor wheel, so slightly better spool time. IMO

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I was hoping to be able to turn it up to mid 20's as far as boost pressures go but still fun to ride at mid teens or so.

So comparison wise, how does the GTX series stack up against a standard 2871?

More/less boost capability???
Spool up?

What size exhaust housings are people running on these??

YZ426F

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Alaska
I'm running a 2867 GTX on my mid mount apex. I had a 2871 on it before. Was clutched for 18 to 19 psi on the old turbo and can pull the same weights at 16 psi with the GTX turbo.

T
Mar 30, 2010
400 hp is gonna be hard to ride! I never ran my impulse apex above 18lbs in the mountains just to much to handle! on the flats ran 22-23 lbs sled hits the triple digits scary fast! Gtx2867 would fit the bill.

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
400 hp is gonna be hard to ride! I never ran my impulse apex above 18lbs in the mountains just to much handle on the flats ran 22-23 lbs sled hits the triple digits scary fast! Gtx2867 would fit the bill.

I wouldnt ride it at that level, just wanting the ability to crank it up reliably but still be able to have it be ride-able at say 15 lbs or so. I was thinking the GTX series would be pretty well suited for being able to do this pretty efficiently!

I was thinking that a GTX 2863 should be able to handle low to mid 20's as far as boost levels go and at say 15lbs should be barely working and right in its sweet spot at moderate elevations (I ride mainly 5K-7K ft)

I have been running 12lbs on pump for most of my sleds life and once or twice a year turn it to 18 for some races.

Just looking for peoples opinions that are running em on the apex.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
What pistons are you running ( compression ratio ) I run a 3076 turbo on my old apex , slightly higher than stock compression and increased the RPM,s to 11600-11800. I have it tuned to 24 psi boost which for me is unusable in the mountain , scares the sh!t out of me at home in the field . If you are going to run higher boost get yourself and good air to water intercooler , something that can handle the higher air flow without having a big pressure drop across it and efficient at removing heat, if you send me a e-mail I could send picture of the one I had that did not work compared to the one I have now that works.
I have a full ported/polished head with 1mm oversize valve with duel coiled tie valve springs and performance cam sitting in a box ( head on sled is totally stock )I would love to install this performance head but at a cost of $1000 install , retuning etc for what the thing has more power now then can be used

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
What pistons are you running ( compression ratio ) I run a 3076 turbo on my old apex , slightly higher than stock compression and increased the RPM,s to 11600-11800. I have it tuned to 24 psi boost which for me is unusable in the mountain , scares the sh!t out of me at home in the field . If you are going to run higher boost get yourself and good air to water intercooler , something that can handle the higher air flow without having a big pressure drop across it and efficient at removing heat, if you send me a e-mail I could send picture of the one I had that did not work compared to the one I have now that works.
I have a full ported/polished head with 1mm oversize valve with duel coiled tie valve springs and performance cam sitting in a box ( head on sled is totally stock )I would love to install this performance head but at a cost of $1000 install , retuning etc for what the thing has more power now then can be used

Was thinking of doing 10:1 CP's from impulse. Are you closed decked block?

Premium Features