• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ad's

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Good to hear that works for ya Morsno. But, I honestly don't feel we should have to install ad-block software to be able to utilize a website we pay to use.

I agree with you, I just couldn't take it anymore! Maybe whoever is funding their retirement party with the advertising income is retiring today and we can get OUR forum back!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I know this is a hot issue for our members.
But try to remember that Harris Publishing is in the business of selling advertising.
At the end of the day, after all has been said and done, that is the justification for their existing.
And all of those ads/videos you are seeing are coming directly from the manufacturers.

Without ad sales, there would be NO SnoWest or SledHeads magazines or these forums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
I JUST GOT AD BLOCKER PLUS AND THE ONLY ONE THAT DIDNT GO AWAY WAS THAT STUPID VIDEO THAT DOSNT EVEN PLAY!!!!!!:frusty: JUST SKIPPING AUDIO!!! GARBAGE

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I know this is a hot issue for our members.
But try to remember that Harris Publishing is in the business of selling advertising.
At the end of the day, after all has been said and done, that is the justification for their existing.
And all of those ads/videos you are seeing are coming directly from the manufacturers.

Without ad sales, there would be NO SnoWest or SledHeads magazines or these forums.

Christopher,

We, the paying members, should have some say. There are 4,531 members on line right now, at $14.95 per member (posted annual fee), thats $67,738.45. That more than enough pays for our right not to have to have these annoying ads and videos ruining our forum experience. Harris Publishing needs to face us and explain why $67,738 is not enough!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My friend, feel free to sit down and write them a letter.
Put it on paper and mail it to them.
It's one thing to complain here on the Internet.
But ink on paper, well written, well thought out, is much more powerful.

Send your thoughts to Ryan Harris, Steve Janes and Greg Manwaring.
Those three make the decisions on what you see on the boarders of the forums.

I do my best to keep them fully informed about all of these threads.
But nothing I can say will ever be as powerful as a polite personal letter from you.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Thank you, will this address work? customerservice@harrispublishing.com

You know that I have been a supporter of this forum even during the dark days when it first became a paid forum. But the ads on the right side that shrink our forum viewing area and the ultra-annoying video that has nothing to contribute to the forum, needs to be addressed. Many of the ads belong to Harris publishing (SnoWest picture of the week ad repeated 3 times, really?) We paid our hard earned money like they asked, and now we are being completely ignored by them.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT

Let me correct this statement. Without forum members, there would be no SnoWest for Harris to make money off of. If the active user count of this website plummets to near nothing how many people do you think are going to pay to advertise here.

As I have stated many many times, while annoying I understand the adds. My biggest problem is the video for two reasons. 1. the annoying audio that blasts at you all on it's own, and 2. the data that it burns up for me and others on limited data plans.

L

locknload

Dec 5, 2007
Someone needs to start a poll on who will renew their membership if this crap continues, maybe that will get there attention.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
My 3 year membership is over in 11 days, I am not going to renew until these Ad's get sorted.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
OK Christopher, I downloaded some software yesterday and now I know what everyone is complaining about. I now get the videos and volume and it has slowed things dow tremendously. I can't even scroll when the videos are playing. MAKE IT STOP NOW!!!!!!! BCR DOES NOT HAVE THIS CRAP AND THEY ARE FREE. NOT QUITE THE VOLUME OF PROPLE OVER THERE BUT THAT WILL CHANGE IF SW DOESN'T. Did I say that loud enough to be heard?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
9 REALLY NINE ads? no way to stop latest VIDEO AD FOR chocolate, AC SKI DOO WHATEVER IT IS !@&@^#$ ANNOYING IS IT NOT...

YES ADS PAY BILLS BUT THESE MUST PAY THEM ALL..:crazy::crazy:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I now get the videos and volume
That shouldn't be possible.
As explained in some detail in the other threads on this subject, Yesterday we reached a compromise with the advertising department to set the Default on the streaming video to NO SOUND. You shouldn't be getting ANY volume from anything on SnoWest unless you click on it and turn it on.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
no way to stop latest VIDEO AD FOR chocolate, AC SKI DOO WHATEVER IT IS !@&@^#$ ANNOYING IS IT NOT...
Sounds like you might have a defective mouse.
I can certainly stop any of the videos just by clicking on the video and turning it off?

Can't explain why you are not able to do the same thing?

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
That shouldn't be possible.
As explained in some detail in the other threads on this subject, Yesterday we reached a compromise with the advertising department to set the Default on the streaming video to NO SOUND. You shouldn't be getting ANY volume from anything on SnoWest unless you click on it and turn it on.

Oh but it is happening. Yesterday I was getting volume for chocolate so I scrolled up and low and behold there was a dove chocolate ad. This keeps up I am going to make a compromise with Snowest and vote with my next subscription to this site. By my avatar it will say basic member. Oh and what does chocolate have to do with snowmobiling? This is starting to become like TV.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Mornin Chris,

No mouse works,,every time you move to a new thread etc the ad starts and no volume control..just starts You HAVE to stop it every time a page loads.
Ads start stacking on right five or six deep some side by side sqeezin out forum page..
ad blocker reset helped a little..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So far as I know they have a Co-Op ad block that is sold to any company that wants to market to outdoor sports enthusiasts.

It's why we see the oddball REI ad from time to time or the crazy left wing environmentalist tree huger ad.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mornin Chris,

No mouse works,,every time you move to a new thread etc the ad starts and no volume control..just starts You HAVE to stop it every time a page loads.

Ads start stacking on right five or six deep some side by side sqeezin out forum page..

ad blocker reset helped a little..

Correct you are.
There is no way around that "Yet".
We are working on a long term solution though.
Just need more time to get all the source code written and tested.
Once it's ready to rock and roll I will make an announcement and show everyone what we have created as an alternative.

Premium Features