• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to a 4 stroke.

kakwa climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I am looking at buying a turbo viper. I’m a little nervous wether I will like it. I am coming off a turbo pro. I have run it at 8 lbs since I got it and enjoy it. I am a big guy but am scared I’m getting more than I am betting on. How do they handle? How much lag is there on the mcx270 kit. I have been told that set up is everything. Any pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jviper

Sep 20, 2015
Edmonton AB
I am looking at buying a turbo viper. I’m a little nervous wether I will like it. I am coming off a turbo pro. I have run it at 8 lbs since I got it and enjoy it. I am a big guy but am scared I’m getting more than I am betting on. How do they handle? How much lag is there on the mcx270 kit. I have been told that set up is everything. Any pointers?

They handle fine with the 36'' front end kit. Swap out the front track shock spring to a heavier one to help with heavy front feel. I love mine.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Dave Marshall with Hurricane is only a phone call away. The best customer service in the business. A lot better than dealing with someone of a different language in a crazy time zone. Best of luck.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Be wary, if you get a 2016 viper you will want to change internals to be safe. Their rods wouldn't hold up to the MPI 190 kit. The 2015s and some of the 16's were okay.

4 strokes are a lot of fun. Tons of torque, and when the boost kicks in you had better be hanging on! I only ran 9lbs of boost on my old Nytro most of the time and it was wicked fast. On big days I would crank it up to 15lbs and it was just unreal. My Viper has been a LOT of fun too, but this year I'm looking at bumping up the boost a little. I'll probably just run the EBC from MPI so I get a couple more pounds of boost at altitude.

With a 270 kit, you should be able to go anywhere you want without breaking a sweat.

kakwa climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I bought a boost it viper. Excited to get out now

kakwa climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
What is the target rpm with a boost it turbo?

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
8750 is your target with this motor, a little high or a little low and you will be alright. If the ECU is reflashed they can rev a little higher.

How many miles are on the engine? After 500 or so, it will break in and RPMs will increase a little as the engine loosens up.

kakwa climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
It’s got 350 miles on it. Took my first ride yesterday and was in over the handle bar powder all day. Was very impressed with its handling and power. Was starving for air at times and not making rpm but when it was getting air it was as much fun as anything I have ever drove

kakwa climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
6d36104e1f1dc0abb7e23c6420776bf6.jpg

C
Dec 12, 2007
Re Viper:

Great Picture, when setting up your sled did it not have an external air intake? I didn't see one in your photos, If you set that up it'll sure help! My MCX came with the air intake beside the rad under the hood, it was terrible! I hated cutting the hole in the hood to open it up but once I did it was sure worth it!

kakwa climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
It’s there just covered in snow in the picture. The snow was incredible. Going again sunday

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I can't speak to the power vs a pro, but my viper pulls harder and climbs better than my brother in laws '17 Arctic Cat. I can rocket past where he turns out to sidehill, but his sled is quite a bit easier to sidehill once you get into a position where you want to turn and go across the hill.

If you want big power that will last for years, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha.

Premium Features