• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98' Summit 670 Problems

B
Oct 26, 2014
Long story short, last year I overheated it. Took the top end apart and replaced all the seals. The pistons and cylinders had some moderate scoring. I figured I would put it back together and see how it did. Well I never got it running right. I did get it running ok but it was a bitch to start and seemed to struggle at the mid range. Then it would start stalling. I have not touched it since.
Today I did a compression test and had 110psi (+/-3) on each cylinder. I can't get the thing started. It's got spark and it's got tons of fuel (flooding). I blew it out and pulled another 50 times. Not even a cough. Is 110 to low to get the necessary compression to fire the cylinders? Thinking of rebuilding it but not sure I have the time. Maybe just sell it as is.
Anyway, is my engine pretty much toast and that's why it won't start? Thanks

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
What elevation are you checking compression?
That doesn't seem low enough to keep it from running and might be normal if you are at high elevation.
Is it flooded/wet plugs? Is it the X or standard Summit?

B
Oct 26, 2014
It's the X. Yes, the plugs get soaked with fuel. It seems to be just fuel and not oil so I don't think it's pumping to much oil in. Right now I'm at about 5400' so that is where I am checking compression. I ride at 8-12K, sometimes higher.

B
Oct 26, 2014
More info. Used some gas directly into the chambers and it fired right up, for 1 second. So now thinking it's actually not getting fuel and or my fuel is bad (I'm leaning toward the not getting fuel). What I see on the plugs as far as them being soaked must be oil. I removed the air box and primed the hell out of it. I can see fuel dumping into the carbs. But after 20-30 more pulls, nothing. I just cleaned the carbs and put fresh gas in at the end of last year. Gas lasts much longer than people think so thats not it. Maybe I'll go through the carbs again. Any other suggestions?
Oh. There is air in the two blue primer lines to the carbs. When I prime it there are a bunch of bubbles. I'm thinking not a big deal since the main lines look fine and it's obviously getting fuel when I prime it.
Thanks

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Ever figure this out?
have a 99 and has the same issue....except, I can eventually start it but it just won't stay without a shot of prime. I'm thinking not enough compression to keep it running or to get it running.

Sent from my telephone

Last edited:
Premium Features