• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City, MT Ride

bobgrmkpro

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Bismarck, ND
www.wfadvisors.com
I just thought those of us who ride in Cooke City would like to know that the snow conditions were very good for early riding. Some rocks and stumps but lots of good areas to ride. Snow going out of town was ok too. The trail going up to Lulu and Daisy was mostly rock free but ungroomed.
We rode Nov 27-29 and really had a great time there. The only problem we encountered was an engine breakdown in the farthest most northern area of the Cooke riding area. We were quite worried how in the world we would ever recover this sled from the place it was in. We abandoned the sled Sat. night and explained our situation to Bill and Kay Whittle of Antlers Lodge where we were staying in their beautiful new motel rooms. Bill broke out his maps and in his quiet way assured us that we could recover the sled tomorrow after we showed him where the sled was. The next morning after Kay fixed us a great breakfast in their Lodge's restrauant we all proceeded to follow Bill out to the abandonded sled and Bill then proceeded to pull the sled back to Cooke City. It took some fantastic riding and mountaneering on the part of Bill and Kay riding Ski Doo XP's to pull the sled back to town but I can assure anyone reading this that they did it quickly and without damaged to anything. At one point they had both of their XP's pulling and I wish I had that on video.

Bill and Kay have been very busy making snowmobiling movies (DVD's) of riding in deep powder in the Cooke City area and other popular snowmobiling areas. We played their videos on our trip home to ND. If you want to see how to possibly improve your deep snow techniques I recommend getting these videos because Bill and Kay will both amaze you with what they can do in powder. I can't wait to try the down hill slalom and sliding my M8 sideways downhill and then taking off in a new direction like Bill does it.

Thanks for saving our trip and have a great season Bill and Kay Whittle
406-838-2432.

Bob Gregoire, Bismarck, ND

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
great post

Great post! We have a group going to cooke this weekend from Rapid City, SD so that is good news to hear! We'll be staying at the antlers lodge as well. It's good to hear the conditions were pretty good as well. Was it worth the trip?

S

skidoo_guy

Nov 26, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I am rolling into town Sunday Morning and leaving wed night I believe so will probably see you there. Staying at the Antlers most likely (don't have reservations). An M8 and two xps.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Midwest guys are maniacs

I have to admire people from the midwests passion for sledding. I get pissed if I have to drive more than an hour. Plus it never ceases to amaze me how much time and money people put into their sleds when they only get to ride out west maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I think we need more midwesterners to get involved in SAWS or CBU, those organizations could definitely benefit from your love of snowmobiling. Plus, many of the areas many of you ride are being shut down to sleds altogether. (Gallatin Canyon) Given what is happening in West Yellowstone, I think it is only a matter of time until Cooke City comes under the same amount of scrutiny. If you are already a member of these organizations, good. If not, it is never too late to join. Thanks and be safe this winter.

bunker86

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2008
Arlington, South Dakota
was up there also last weekend rode 2 1/2 says and by sunday afternoon it was getting really tracked up... we rode mainly lulu and spent half the day saturday out around daisy all and all pretty good just getting really tracked up

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
ride

was there yesterday morning. rode lulu up a ways, got off and som e people tagging along were having troubles of all sorts. (motor, skill) wore me out right away digging them out. we decided to head back to town early for their mechanical probs and on the way back i managed to snap an ankle.

the trails getting back was treaturus, be nice when the groomers get out. was pretty tracked up as far back as we were but we didnt even get to the end of lulu.

nice 14 hour trip for 4 hours of riding

G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN
was there yesterday morning. rode lulu up a ways, got off and som e people tagging along were having troubles of all sorts. (motor, skill) wore me out right away digging them out. we decided to head back to town early for their mechanical probs and on the way back i managed to snap an ankle.

the trails getting back was treaturus, be nice when the groomers get out. was pretty tracked up as far back as we were but we didnt even get to the end of lulu.

Sorry to hear, bad enough break that you're done for the season? Broke mine in 02, plates and screws and it works like new. Good luck with your recovery!

G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN

Can also relate on the drive... two years ago i drove 7 hours to ride, the pow was sick and 15 minutes in i took the right side off. 14 hours driving for 15 minutes of pow in the face... well worth it!

I met my better half that night after driving home and going out to have a few (ok a lot) of beers. Wouldn't have met her if the incident wouldn't of happened (never forget that crash).

Again, good luck!

Premium Features