• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo on new sled with no miles or break in first ?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Like the title says.........What's everyone's thoughts on installing a turbo on a new sled???

I guess I'm curious as to what guys think, put it on right away or......put some break in miles on and then do an install???

Thoughts ??????

Snowedunder

Premium Member
Mar 27, 2008
BC
going to ride sled sled first just to make sure there are no issues with the unit, might save chasing problems down the road .

Brish

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2014
I rode mine first to make sure it ran properly and did not bog. 5 guys I ride with that have turbos put them on right away with no problems. If you are putting it on the new 850 I would run it first to make sure it runs properly.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
My 2¢... my opinion.

Beyond the engine... make sure that entire sled is running correctly.... The turbo voids the warranty on the sled all together.

A few rides to get all the parts working well and broken in (chassis, electrical and engine) before adding more power.... sounds like a good move to me.

Good luck with your new sled...and PRAY FOR SNOW!!

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
My 2¢... my opinion.

Beyond the engine... make sure that entire sled is running correctly.... The turbo voids the warranty on the sled all together.

A few rides to get all the parts working well and broken in (chassis, electrical and engine) before adding more power.... sounds like a good move to me.

Good luck with your new sled...and PRAY FOR SNOW!!

I get this question a lot when I'm on customer service duties for Silber. I agree with what MH says.

These days, it seems if you have a lemon sled, or something is going to go wrong, you'll notice it in the first 100-200 miles. I also feel breaking a sled in stock form is best for a few reasons.

That said, plenty of dudes throw a turbo on from 0 miles (I've done this too) without any problems. Just keep boost low to start, make SURE you aren't over revving and rock.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Take it easy, don't hold it pinned, after 100 km or miles you can slowly lay into it harder...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I had a lemon sled before and it had me chasing my tail on the turbo kit for weeks. I've also done plenty of sleds with 0 miles without issues. But I think as the expression goes, once bitten twice shy.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I had a lemon sled before and it had me chasing my tail on the turbo kit for weeks. I've also done plenty of sleds with 0 miles without issues. But I think as the expression goes, once bitten twice shy.

What caused issues on the sled with the turbo kit? I have a boost it kit that has cost me 2 engines due to seemingly un-tunable and also chasing my tail terribly, havent had any good rides with the sled since buying it 2 winters ago... so just curious :)

Premium Features