• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to do with my house!?

S
Nov 24, 2001
Lewiston, ID
I got a call yesterday from the Navy regional Fire Chief of the Seattle area. He told me to pack my bags because they needed a position filled like yesterday. So It sounds like i might be leaving REAL soon. The only problem is what to do with my house. My house is less then 2 years old but the landscaping is not finished. I'm worried that it won't sell because no one wants to buy a house with an unfinished landscaping.
I guess my Question is, is there a good way to go about getting rid of my house. Also I can't rent it out because of the subdivision rules.
Any advice from peopl that may have been in this position.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
I've never been in your position, but I do deal with real estate a lot.

It seems to me this would have no impact on a buyer if it is priced accordingly. In fact if price correctly this would actually be more attractive to me because if I'm not paying for the landscaping I would be able to do it my way after I bought the house. It's all about price.

S
Nov 24, 2001
Lewiston, ID
I've never been in your position, but I do deal with real estate a lot.

It seems to me this would have no impact on a buyer if it is priced accordingly. In fact if price correctly this would actually be more attractive to me because if I'm not paying for the landscaping I would be able to do it my way after I bought the house. It's all about price.

I was wondering how many other out there were like me. I enjoy doing the landscaping and stuff. I plan on selling it for what i owe the bank and not a penny more. I have done everything to this place myself from putting in the foundation and septic system to excavation to flatten out the land and building a good size deck off the rear. I just hope there will be some young couple that doesn't want to pay a big price but willing to do some work once they have it.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
December 2008 my oldest son bought his first home, in a subdivision (3 bedroom, 2 bath, and he is single).

Landscaping was also unfinished. Like Spur said, this was a good thing for my son. He isn't big into yardwork, so for him, he got to finish it the way he wanted........keeping in mind the amount of upkeep he wanted to put into it. He put in underground sprinklers, which he wouldn't have been able to do if it was finished, so he didn't have to worry about watering. Then finished with a nice simple lawn (sod) with edging and rock.

It really can be a bonus that the landscaping is unfinished. Gives people the opportunity to add their own personal touch. I love my flowerbeds and landscaping......my son doesn't. Someone will get the chance to make it as simple, or as elaborate, as they choose. That's a good thing! :)

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I was wondering how many other out there were like me. I enjoy doing the landscaping and stuff. I plan on selling it for what i owe the bank and not a penny more. I have done everything to this place myself from putting in the foundation and septic system to excavation to flatten out the land and building a good size deck off the rear. I just hope there will be some young couple that doesn't want to pay a big price but willing to do some work once they have it.

why not sell the house for market value? hopefully your not upside down in it like the rest of america...

I would have preferred a house with no landscaping. I had to rip out the @#$%ing piss poor excuse for landscaping at my home and redo it the right way... lots more to do next summer too...

good luck! :D

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Agreed, hopefully you're not upside down on it.
About the renting.......Screw the HOA. It's illegal in our sub too and they have some real HOA nazis on the board, but that's the one thing that slides, probably beacuse a couple board members have renters or lock offs! (****ers)
I would take that fight all day, especially in this economy. Rent it out. If the HOA comes snooping, tell them you're letting the people watch your house indefinately....for free! (Then run them off with a baseball bat.)
Depending on your situation, renting is usually better than selling. Just try to find somone you know personally to watch over/manange it while you're gone. Even the nicest renters usually don't give a chit about your house.
It would be real hard for them to prove you're renting if you keep it on the DL and just cash the rent checks.
Besides if the HOA let you get away with not finishing the landscaping yet, they can't be too tough to deal with. Usually that's the first voilation you get in a new house.

S
Nov 24, 2001
Lewiston, ID
it's a 3bed 2 bath new doublewide on a half acre with a view. I just want to get $130,000 out of it. That is just what the land and house cost. not including the foundation septic and excivation.

well i was supposed to have the landscaping done last year, but havn't had the time. My naighbors complain about it but the subdivision head guy tells me as long as i'm making progress. When my naighbors complain that the landscaping isn't done i just tell them i'm going for the natural look!
One bad thing is that i have started building a retaining wall that is un finished. If a guy were to do it right you could stop right where i am and just blend it into the land with some sloped soil covered with decretive rock.

P
Nov 26, 2007
sell it ASAP. If it looks like a sale is not likely rent it, especially if you have friends or family in the area who can keep an eye on it for you. If the HOA gives you a hard time tell them that it is not a permanent situation, only till you can get it sold. If they give you more trouble ask them if they would rather have a vacant run down foreclosure there or a lived in maintained home?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Just rent it. Can't be that strict on covenants in a sub that allows modulars.
Do what you can to the landscaping (fade out the half finished wall, till it up, plant grass seed, give the renters $50/month off for a couple months if they keep the grass alive. If it's 1/2 acre of dirt, you'll have 1/2 acre of dirt and dust in our new house.

Premium Features