• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 M8000 DSI MAX BOOST PRESSURE

Solid Turbos

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2018
UTAH
l am designing a turbo for a 2018 Mountain Cat DSI and I am looking for some data on max boost pressure short of internal parts becoming external parts.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
l am designing a turbo for a 2018 Mountain Cat DSI and I am looking for some data on max boost pressure short of internal parts becoming external parts.

Is this for personal use or are looking to make a kit you can sell to the public? IMO, 90% of consumers aren’t ever going to run anything more than a pump gas set up. Assuming a splash of 110 is needed with most pump gas kits running 5-7ish lbs. On full race gas I’ve seen guys run up to 12-14lbs. With the right turbo, inter cooler, fuel, etc you could run more, but why. Although that much boost is a riot in open bowels and chutes, it’s not real
practical to ride as a dailey ride. It’s just not needed in the type tree/boondocking most guys do these days.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Is this for personal use or are looking to make a kit you can sell to the public? IMO, 90% of consumers aren’t ever going to run anything more than a pump gas set up. Assuming a splash of 110 is needed with most pump gas kits running 5-7ish lbs. On full race gas I’ve seen guys run up to 12-14lbs. With the right turbo, inter cooler, fuel, etc you could run more, but why. Although that much boost is a riot in open bowels and chutes, it’s not real
practical to ride as a dailey ride. It’s just not needed in the type tree/boondocking most guys do these days.
What's it like riding in the bowels? Sounds like fun!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Solid Turbos

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2018
UTAH
I am thinking 7 lbs with the capability of 10 lbs. I want to keep the max boost level south of when things start coming apart. Just trying to determine a safe max boost level. Thanks for the input.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You can run 7-10# with ease assuming a good state of tune. good intercooling/turbo selection to keep charge temps down will ensure a lot more longevity out of things like reeds.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I am thinking 7 lbs with the capability of 10 lbs. I want to keep the max boost level south of when things start coming apart. Just trying to determine a safe max boost level. Thanks for the input.

Never answered if this was for yourself or for customers

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It all depends on fuel. I have been running the DSI between 5 and 12 pounds of boost for a couple seasons. They rip at 7 or 8 pounds and that is sufficient for most. I recommend 50/50 or 100 LL at 5-9 and at 10 or more run 75/25.

If you keep the octane sufficient for your boost your motor will last.

Premium Features