• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Install a temp guage

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I just bought the sled with zero hours.

No ride time.

I would like RPMS displayed and a number for temperature.

It seems all you get is a temp bar on the left.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
If will beep and say “engine over heat” on the display. Extra gauge is not needed. There’s a lot of fail safe modes on the 850 etec motor.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thank you for the replies.

Just dropped over 20 grand into a couple sleds no hours no miles and was told several times during break in mode ( 2 tanks of gas) not to over heat the engine.

So IM thinking ... what are the normal operating parameters of the sled?

Temps, startup shut down , SHOT , clutch engage RPM , beeps code flashes , etc?

You take a sled 20 miles off trail and like to know what is normal operations ... Spending nights trying to get back are not the best way IMHO to enjoy the sport.

I guess just ride it ( next season fall of 18) near the trail to get a feel before really going out.

Prefer having the RPMS displayed when riding AND an actual number for temperature.

Will use the temp bar on the left BUT there is no reference to what one bar means two bars etc . I guess I could correlate the temperature number to what the bars mean on the gage.

A KOSO LED gauge and a H2O connection cost less than $30 ... weighs ounces draws .1 amps and wondered if anyone did this because of the heat issues.

There are past discussions about belt heat, engine heat, exhaust area heat hurting SPOT and chain case.

Okay Okay ... ride it like you stole it

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I guess I'm with you Don. I can't imagine going out and not being able to see the actual temp number during the day and keep an eye on it.

But then again. I guess some of us don't always get to ride the most perfect deep snow for every mile of our day. If that was the case I would not need to think about the temp either.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Like I suggested previously get your owners manual out and read it. The bar graph is displayed on the left and it does beep when you get near the over heat temperature. You can flip through the display until you see E temp in degrees, select this display. There are a limited number of selections and I don't remember if RPM and temp are displayed together. If you idle too long the engine will shut down and if you idle long enough your engine will reach overheat and beep and flash a warning. Now is a good time to get familiar with the gauge displays.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Is there any reference what 2 3 or 4 bars mean?

2 bars is 100*, 4 bars is 120*, I think 6 bars is ~155*?

I ride with my dash showing engine temp most of the time, but I never really looked to see how many bars were showing for what temp.

The temp bars are just fine, if you get up to 7 bars just shut it off and pile snow on the tunnel and wait 5 min then start it and you will lose 2 bars almost right away.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Like I suggested previously get your owners manual out and read it. The bar graph is displayed on the left and it does beep when you get near the over heat temperature. You can flip through the display until you see E temp in degrees, select this display. There are a limited number of selections and I don't remember if RPM and temp are displayed together. If you idle too long the engine will shut down and if you idle long enough your engine will reach overheat and beep and flash a warning. Now is a good time to get familiar with the gauge displays.

Great advice

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I guess I'm with you Don. I can't imagine going out and not being able to see the actual temp number during the day and keep an eye on it.

But then again. I guess some of us don't always get to ride the most perfect deep snow for every mile of our day. If that was the case I would not need to think about the temp either.

YA snow sucked this year in California. Least miles / days ridden for sledding in decades. The good thing is I didn't spent money on sledding so bought new sleds :)

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
I have gotten along just fine with the bar temp and stock scratchers through a low-snow season. I would look at the degree display when I got up to 4 bars, and every time it was no issue, and never went over 4 bars. Riding with a bunch of Polarises, the Skidoo shined on temp control while the Poos had to pile snow on the tunnel, etc.

However, Donbrown brings up a pet peeve of mine-- the sequence and allowed parameters on the dual gauge. I would like to find out if anyone has managed to reprogram the gauge. I would like RPM and mileage displayed at the same time and to skip the flipping of MPH and RPM- it doesn't help me to see MPH/RPM and then the useful one-- RPM/MPh- ; Donbrown wants RPM and temperature. Any jailbreak?

To go one further, I haven't found a tenth of a mile odometer display. That would be really nice when trying to locate intersections and landmarks. Any one help with that?

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I've pretty much given up on all the gauge functions except the last one with numeric engine temp and miles per hour. To start with I have a really hard time reading the darned thing. I think the most useful would be to have the elevation and engine temp on the same screen and forget the rest. I don't know who designed the gauge but they didn't do anybody any favors.

There my rant is over but then so is riding for the season.

Premium Features