• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone else underwhelmed by the SHOT???

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So I’m a HUGE long term fan of e start. With a lightweight battery in a ski Doo it’s 12-13lbs and totally worth it to me for a lot of reasons. I THOT that SHOT was going to be a World Series final game bases loaded home run grand slam. Basically e start with no weight penalty.
So my buddy’s crapped out on him. It was acting up, he got the updates, a couple rides later it died. He wants to replace it with an e start if he trades in(not the main reason for trade in). He’s done.
Mine works but not well. It’s always slow to respond. It’s seconds, not minutes but it’s so slow I think that’s it’s not going to work at all so I let the button go then push it again. Sometimes over and over before it starts. If it doesn’t fire up in a second or two it seems to me I have to release the button then push it again and wait. Also The button is small so it doesn’t get hit accidentally but it’s so small it kind of gets absorbed into the tip of my gloves finger. Not a deal breaker really but it’s just kinda janky. It never is just press the button and the sled fires up like an e start. Yes I get that it advances the rotor until it’s in the right spot before it gives it a SHOT. All in all I’m not sure if I’d get a regular e start if I bought another Ski Doo.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
It’s definitely not consistent on my sled.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Griping about "seconds"? I think SHOT is awesome and very happy with it. No problems or failures; works as advertised. On any given ride you are giving up ~12lbs for a combined minute throughout your ride?! Are you trying to outrun an avalanche or a crazed moose? Seems like a win to me!

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Every time I have rode my sled it ices up and doesn't want to press down very well. I don't ride unless its really deep and I have a mesh hood so I could get more snow than normal on it. Multiple times I've had to just pull the rope. While it was awful having to do that i did manage to survive. Was annoying though that i couldn't get it to work.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Wow, you have to wait maybe 1 second longer than e start. Maybe 10 or 20 seconds out of your day. If you don't push the button right it won't start. Not a huge deal. I've seen a bunch of people have trouble with electric start over the years. If a person is underwhelmed then pull the rope. The only thing that sucks about it is pulling the rope once. I actually have buddy get electric start because he didn't want to pull the rope once.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Awesome, somebody has a legitimate complaint and we all bag on him. Thanks for an honest review. Hopefully skidoo makes it better.
Seems like it is not as good as e-start, but lighter. Nice info when trying to decide what $14,000 sled to buy.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have no problem with his review. You can find someone that has problems with anything. Doesn't mean it sucks by any means. It is also better than electric start. 20 pounds lighter and a backup pull rope that everyone whined about when e start doesn't come with one.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Every time I have rode my sled it ices up and doesn't want to press down very well. I don't ride unless its really deep and I have a mesh hood so I could get more snow than normal on it. Multiple times I've had to just pull the rope. While it was awful having to do that i did manage to survive. Was annoying though that i couldn't get it to work.

Here is a picture of him the day his shot iced up...

IMAG1783.jpg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Awesome, somebody has a legitimate complaint and we all bag on him. Thanks for an honest review. Hopefully skidoo makes it better.
Seems like it is not as good as e-start, but lighter. Nice info when trying to decide what $14,000 sled to buy.

You don't know Matte Murder. He would complain that he couldn't complain if there was nothing to complain about. :face-icon-small-con

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
For the price of the option, I believe he has every right to complain - it's a expensive option considering what is there and I expect perfection for the premium they've asked.

My only complaint is the low quality button. It's small, inconsistent and just feels and looks cheap. I'd have little issue if they went back to what was on the XM. It's never left me stranded and works every start, but sometimes it takes fiddling with the button to get it to start.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.

Did you have to ask Chad to start it for you?

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I have always liked my SHOT and it has given me 0 troubles. Yes it does take a little longer to engage but it is not that big of a deal. On mine I have been very surprised at how little time it takes to charge it after the first start. Most mornings it is under 5 minutes. About the game that it takes to unload 4 sleds from the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Premium Features