• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 mountain cat rpm problems

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
I just got a mountain cat and I love the sled but I have had some issues with varying rpm, at first it would pull 8150 and sometimes drop to 7600ish but now suddenly it constantly revs 8300+ and I can't figure out why. Also the sled one time idled at 3500 so it would slowly move, but I'm not sure it's related since the sled was pretty icy.

Have anyone experienced something similar? And do you have any idea of what could be causing if?

Thanks in advance!

Lacombe08

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2017
I just got a mountain cat and I love the sled but I have had some issues with varying rpm, at first it would pull 8150 and sometimes drop to 7600ish but now suddenly it constantly revs 8300+ and I can't figure out why. Also the sled one time idled at 3500 so it would slowly move, but I'm not sure it's related since the sled was pretty icy.

Have anyone experienced something similar? And do you have any idea of what could be causing if?

Thanks in advance!
I did have similar issue. Too much snow gets inside, make sure the front nose air box is properly installed (sealed) and I frogskin every single hole on the sled. Haven't had one issue since. Runs like a charm, I also installed SSI Clutch kit with y-pipe, def one of the best upgrade out there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The Cat 083 belt allows much more consistent RPM while climbing than the 084 belt. A simple belt change may be all you need to keep your RPMs where you need them.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The team secondaries are kind of funky under load. You know how the deflection screw only sits on one side? The clutch will sit slightly wider on that side. If you put your sled in a stand and spin the clutch you can see the belt doesn't sit completely evenly all around.

You can actually feel it with a hot belt running down a groomer.

Just something to think about. The harder compound 83 definitely sticks less.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

Thanks in advance!

how many miles on sled, was it breaking in still when the rpms were lower?
Ive run my spare 083 on a couple good rides, noticed the higher rpm, almost like it lightens the load on the motor a hair. a little too much rpm for my setup and also i thought it made more belt dust. but ive recommend to my buddies who arent big on maintenance and complain about low rpms sometimes.

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
how many miles on sled, was it breaking in still when the rpms were lower?
Ive run my spare 083 on a couple good rides, noticed the higher rpm, almost like it lightens the load on the motor a hair. a little too much rpm for my setup and also i thought it made more belt dust. but ive recommend to my buddies who arent big on maintenance and complain about low rpms sometimes.

The sled just passed 1000km or about 620 miles, still runs on the original belt (084), I will check the deflection.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Deflection is only needed so u can start ur sled and let it idle.
Once ur sled is moving(maybe 5-10mph), the secondary opens and the deflection bolt nolonger makes contact so, 2 bolts are not necessary

Alpha ......

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i find the secondary shievs(sp?) can use a cleaning after 5-600 mountain miles. and about twice as often on the primary. and blow out all the dust in the spider and weights area like every 3 rides. and an alignment check anytime the secondary comes off. just me.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
i find the secondary shievs(sp?) can use a cleaning after 5-600 mountain miles. and about twice as often on the primary. and blow out all the dust in the spider and weights area like every 3 rides. and an alignment check anytime the secondary comes off. just me.
Sheaves....

Alpha ......

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
But you set deflection at 3 o'clock. Wouldn't double screws keep your deflection closer as there are two contact points?

Deflection is only needed so u can start ur sled and let it idle.
Once ur sled is moving(maybe 5-10mph), the secondary opens and the deflection bolt nolonger makes contact so, 2 bolts are not necessary

Alpha ......

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
But you set deflection at 3 o'clock. Wouldn't double screws keep your deflection closer as there are two contact points?
Yes 2 are better than 1,other than ur clutches are balanced for 1 screw...... Team clutches have had 1 screw for better than 15yrs, hasn't been an issue.
remember once u start moving, deflection is irrelevant. Deflection will affect engagement but that is it.

Alpha ......

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
Yes 2 are better than 1,other than ur clutches are balanced for 1 screw...... Team clutches have had 1 screw for better than 15yrs, hasn't been an issue.
remember once u start moving, deflection is irrelevant. Deflection will affect engagement but that is it.

Alpha ......

Gotcha.

So, when I convert to the 18 Primary this summer, I need to have my secondary re-balanced.... Or I guess I could just lock in the set screw where it isn't contacting.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Gotcha.

So, when I convert to the 18 driven this summer, I need to have my secondary re-balanced.... Or I guess I could just lock in the set screw where it isn't contacting.
I assume u mean 18 Drive clutch.
U are correct, backout the deflection bolt.

Alpha ......

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The gouge on my inner sheave from the deflection bolt as it shifts disagrees a little ;)
Every time u start and stop the track u will have contact. Sheave rotates as it opens and closes, causing wear or 'damage'. Forward to reverse and vice versa will create the most damage from the deflection bolt.

Alpha ......

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i rounded off my bolt and have had to do it again a couple times as it wears down. just seems like round edge vs. square edge would be better. would love to know for sure if they are balanced with the screw in because i was planning to swap holes once it wears through the plate. I dont think you could get the 2 piece secondary as balanced as a tied.

Premium Features