• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 m8000 supercharger

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I have a 2016 M8000 with a Speedwerx supercharger. This sled is the funnest sled I have ever ridden! The bottom end power and response is unbelievable and I have owned almost every Big Bore motor combination out there and have had a few turboed sleds. If I had to pick one sled out of all the sleds that I have had or ridden I would pick the supercharged sled!
I am tweaking on the perfect belt drive ratio and clutching for it yet. I think most of the sleds that Speedwerx puts together have 153" tracks. I think the clutching that they recommend would be pretty close to spot on if it was a 153. This one is a 162. The 162 just loads the motor different and is taking a few minor changes to get it right for the way I ride.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
How's the fit and finish of the kit. Is the tuning from speedwerx good, have you had to change it? Are you running the same tuning that the send out to the everyday consumer or a custom tune. What head are you running. Boost, fuel, elevation?

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
The fit and finish is above what I expected. The sled ran pretty darn good when I got it, but Speedwerx sent me a different map for it shortly after I got it. I think Cat made some changes in the ECM for the 16 sleds and they adjusted their map for that. I have the POD 300 with Auto Tune on this sled which the Auto Tune is turned "off" and I am only using the AFR readings from it. My AFR readings are pretty much spot on. I have logged some time on the POD 300 and replayed them on the Dynojet PowerCore software and everything is right where it is supposed to be. I have looked at my piston wash and that is telling me that I could lean it out. Not 100% sure if you read piston wash the same on a supercharged sled as you would a BB motor or not though. I am still old school and like EGT's better than an AFR gauge also. So I am not 100% totally confident in changing the map when it is running as good as it is and don't think it is necessary. I have used the PCV on a lot of sleds and am very comfortable using it and making my own maps, but now with the SC sled you are using it to its full extent and have pressure tables and other various configurations that are in play. This sled has the lower compression head and the 40/80 pulleys on it which is the pump gas version. When I play my passes back on the Power Core software it will run pretty consistently about 8-8.5 psi. I have been doing the majority of my riding so far from 9600' to just under 11000'. I have it clutched so it will consistently pull 8250 rpm in that elevation range.
This is the simplest most powerful sled I have ever had. Pull up to the pump and fill it up with premium and add oil to the oil tank and go have fun.
I sure don't miss those days of mixing race fuel, gas and oil or making sure I had enough AV fuel to last me for how long I was going to be up on the mountain and transporting it for hundreds of miles.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks so much for the response, this is the kind of info I've been looking for, there's just not too many of these supercharger setups around that you hear about. I know of 1 guy locally that just put one on his '16 about a month ago, but havent really heard how he likes it yet. I'm thinking of putting one on for next year, I just bought a '16 153 limited with a speedwerx stg 2 and BM fab skinny board. I've still got my turbo '12 but I'm ready to try something different. Thanks again for the info.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I have some days off coming up and I will be heading some place where there is decent snow. Not sure where I will be heading yet, but if anybody would like to take my sled for a ride and see what these sleds will do I would be more than happy to let you ride it. I was in Cooke last weekend and it got a lot of attention.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
The sled was bought from Speedwerx as one of their packages. So they did the install of the supercharger. It does not look like it would be real difficult to install if you have installed a turbo before. In my opinion I think it would be easier to install than a turbo.

I have played around a lot with the clutching and gearing.

Gearing: I have tried a 25, 26, 27 and 28 tooth top sprocket for the TKI belt drive and I have definitely settled on the 28 tooth top gear for the belt drive. I do know of one guy that is running a 153" and he is running a 30 tooth top sprocket and he "really" likes it. From what I have heard from most of the other guys they are running a 27 tooth top sprocket.

Secondary: Speedwerx recommends the stock 48 degree helix and the stock Cat secondary spring or a secondary spring that is a little lighter. In my mind I didn't think that this would be a very good combination so I ordered a spring and some different helixes. The spring that I settled on is a 190/260. The stock spring is a 180/240. I tried a 43, 44, 46, 46/42 and the 48 degree helixes. To keep this short I am running the 48 degree helix in my sled. On certain days depending on the snow conditions and where I am riding I might switch to a different helix.

Primary: Speedwerx recommends the stock primary spring 85/255. I am running a 120/280 primary spring with as many as 3 Glide washers. With the stock primary spring the engagement is low and very smooth. I am running 72 gram clutch weight and my rpms are 8350. I am going to add another gram of weight and bring the rpms down a little bit. The recommended rpm range for this sled is 8100-8300. Speedwerx recommends 74.5 gram weights with their setup. I think most of the other guys are running 72.5 gram weights.

Almost all of my riding is 9000 foot and above. I have played with the boost by changing out the top pulley to a smaller one and the results above 9000 foot are pretty impressive. If I ride below 9000 foot I put the stock pulley for the supercharger on it and don't change any of the clutching. If I am riding above 9000 foot I change the top pulley to the smaller one and install the correct map for it, that all. You could leave it alone and just run the larger pulley for the supercharger all the time and you wont be disappointed in the performance up to about 11000 foot also.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I'm staying at Bear Lodge in the Big Horn Mountains in northern Wyoming. I understand they're expecting an additional 1-2 feet of snow over the next few days on top of having received a lot of snow already. I plan to be there through Tuesday for sure if anyone wants to take this sled for a ride.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I was at Bear lodge last weekend, I sure hope they got a lot more snow in the last week. Watch out for rocks, I put one through the bulkhead cooler on my '16.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Yeah, it sounds like we're going to have to trailer the sleds South . There's been lots of snow South the past few days, then starting tomorrow they're supposed to get 1-2 feet of snow.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
That's what we did, south and then west for the best snow, which wasn't the greatest but the beer at the lodge was good.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
We will be back in the Horns for the weekend. We are staying at Elk View lodge Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. I will have the Supercharged sled there. If anybody is interested in taking a 2016 Pro-Lite turbo for a short rip there will be one of those with us. We will also have a BB Pro-Lite there. Supercharged sled is all black and the Turbo is green. BB has a custom wrap and a 156 X 3.2" track. Silver Dodge mega cab with a trails west trailer.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Update on the supercharged sled.

I thought the map was pretty good, but updated it with a slightly different map and changed the clutching. What a different machine! I thought it ran incredibly well the way it was set up before the changes but now it is even more impressive. The combination of the new map and clutching is unbelievable.

For the guys that have ridden this sled and didn't get a chance to ride it since my last post when I was in the Horns you need to ride it again. You will think it is a different sled. Too bad it is so late in the year.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Update on the supercharged sled.

I thought the map was pretty good, but updated it with a slightly different map and changed the clutching. What a different machine! I thought it ran incredibly well the way it was set up before the changes but now it is even more impressive. The combination of the new map and clutching is unbelievable.

For the guys that have ridden this sled and didn't get a chance to ride it since my last post when I was in the Horns you need to ride it again. You will think it is a different sled. Too bad it is so late in the year.

So what is the best between the turbo, BB, and Supercharger??

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I just had the Supercharger out for the first time this year and decided to change out the cam arms to the next heavier set of Speedwerx Hypershift weights and sure as heck 8350 rpm above 10000 foot and even pulled harder. When Speedwerx reprograms the ECU they must set the rev limiter to 8350.

T
Mar 17, 2011
Central Alberta
Interesting post. I installed my charger kit on my 16. It is not difficult, but id say a turbo would be easier, either way... Interesting clutching setup as far as what springs you are using and what you said speedwerx reccomended. What they told me is different altho i run at lower elevations BC 5-9k mostly. Im definately not a wizard with clutching but i am not running to full potential only pulling 7900 with what speedwerx gave me
160/255 primary
160/235 secondary
74.6 g weights
The more i look into setups the more i wonder if i can acheive full potential with just lighter weights or am i looking at a spring change? Any help is appreciated ??

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I am running the SW 180/240 secondary spring but I don't ride below 8K very much. The 160/235 secondary spring was for riding in the 5K range I believe.
Looks like you have the right primary spring.

I thought I posted this at the end of last year what I found to be the best setup I had tried but it must not have posted. Here it is.
SW 160/250 Primary Spring
SW 180/240 Secondary Spring
Straight 48* Helix
SW S1T Weights 74.6 gram
TKI Belt Drive 28/63 ratio
I also have two glide washers in with the primary spring

This setup will run 8350 all the time on my sled. I would like to try a set of heavier weights and see if that will bring the rpms down just a bit. I doesn't seem to matter if I am at 8K or 10K it runs 8350. I would also like to try a 29 or maybe a 30 top gear for the belt drive. It seems like the higher I gear it the better it performs and I don't loose anything on the bottom end.

Last edited:
Premium Features