• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rino 650 user report

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The mic works as described above. Water resistant, not water proof. But what is?

skierh2o

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Quick update on the 655t I have.

Temps were down to about -12c, the unit itself heavily snow covered at times, and it performs extremely well!

Touchscreen works best with a bare hand/finger, but a damp glove finger works great on the touchscreen as well!

Very accurate unit, my only complaint was the vibrations at idle in my mount would screw with the unit and make the display run in a circle. Turn the machine off for a second and its perfect, come off idle to change harmonics and its perfect.

Battery life is AMAZING.... at 24 hrs of use it had 27% remaining!!
this was with the radio off though!

All in all I'm really happy with the 655t!

I would recommend it anyone looking to spend $ in this price range!

Ryan

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Have several rides with the 650. I can't believe how much we use these units. We get split by experience level quite a bit and it's really nice to be able to know where everyone is and keep in touch. The mic we bought above s#@t the bed on us. The 3.5mm connection is in the back of the radio and everything we plug into it is a straight plug. I need to get some 90 degree adapters as the posts are getting bent and wont work when damaged. Tried the Gamin earpiece and PTT and it was really uncomfortable. Going to try another mic with the 90 degree adapter. I think the mic is the way to go, just need to find one that is durable and not to expensive.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
RMK I would advise against a throat mic. They are really uncomfortable and annoying.

Hey MM, guys. With just a little work, the throat mics can be made comfortable.

I'm still on the fence about which GPS system I want to invest in . . . .

Bag

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I see one yay for works with a wet glove. Any others with glove/screen experience lol ?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I see one yay for works with a wet glove. Any others with glove/screen experience lol ?

Any issues with the touch screen response time when its cold?

• 37 degrees and raining hard hard
  • 32 degrees and wet, heavy snow
  • 14 degrees, clear and cold
  • everything inbetween
Worked perfectly in all conditions, with and without gloves. As well as at least 1/2 dozen roll overs with unit in the cradle

Over 350 miles this winter in all conditions, unit has worked flawlessly
Highly recommended it!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Same experience as rmk2112, screen works for me in all conditions. Bagger have you used the throat mic snowmobiling? Even without my collar up putting pressure on it I don't like anything wrapped around my neck. What brand/model have you used? We have had the best luck with speaker mics but haven't settled on one yet. Will advise...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Have several rides with the 650. I can't believe how much we use these units. We get split by experience level quite a bit and it's really nice to be able to know where everyone is and keep in touch. The mic we bought above s#@t the bed on us. The 3.5mm connection is in the back of the radio and everything we plug into it is a straight plug. I need to get some 90 degree adapters as the posts are getting bent and wont work when damaged. Tried the Gamin earpiece and PTT and it was really uncomfortable. Going to try another mic with the 90 degree adapter. I think the mic is the way to go, just need to find one that is durable and not to expensive.

I use Motorolla mics that have a 90degree plug.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Do you have a part number and a source for those mics? Save me some hassle.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I went to Amazon and did a search. I found that Motorola makes a speaker mic for their cheap talkabout radios part number 53724 for only about $20 so I ordered several to try out. It has the 90 degree 3.5mm plug. For $20 I am a little worried about durability but there were reviews from skiers and snowboarders that were positive. Only negative was that the cord was short. Don't think that's a problem for us as we carry them in front pockets of our vests. RMK with your Ram mount it should work too. I will post results when we try them next week.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Got those Motorola mics in from Amazon. They are compatible with the Rinos and work well testing them. Have not used them in the mountians yet. Don't know how waterproof or durable they are. The plug pin is slightly longer than the Garmin earpiece I had but all functions work. The cord is spiral and heavy duty like old school phone cord. Not very long. Should work great for us as we have avy vests and carry the radios in a front pocket. I also have a retractible mic holder to try out. Will let you know how they work in the mountains, should be riding on Friday.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
just ordered my rino 650 up today!! $349 at cabellas right now btw

Anyways what maps are you guys using for these or what maps did you purchase or download?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I picked up my 650 from cabelas last fall for $329. I luv this thing, huge help finding friends! I have a ram mount attached to my steering post and just ordered the motorla speaker mic, i hope the mic works well.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have a 650. I love it, but I wish the screen was larger.

With the polling, I don't believe they update where your buddies are unless they push the polling button to update themselves manually. is this correct, or is there something in the settings that will allow it to automatically?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U are correct. The rinos will not help u find an unconscious or buried person unless they keyed up before they stopped moving.
Every time u key up, u send a signal with ur location. With it mounted to my steering post, it makes it easy to trace down my stuck buddies hiding in the trees.

GS6

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yep, and you don't have to key your mic to send out a location. You can just push that other little button on the side also.

If you're hunting, though, you'll need to go into your sound settings to keep that polling sound muted.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
U are correct. The rinos will not help u find an unconscious or buried person unless they keyed up before they stopped moving.
Every time u key up, u send a signal with ur location. With it mounted to my steering post, it makes it easy to trace down my stuck buddies hiding in the trees.

GS6

Whenever you get a chance could snap a pic of it on your handlebar? I want to do the same. Is it on a ram mount?

Premium Features