• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How happy are you with your XP?

Are you happy with your XP?

• Total voters

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
was not happy with pre 10 models but the 2010 totally rocks

Not happy with the handling of the 08-09's but would like to ride an 10 though, still haven't. The 08 XP has been religated to being the back up sled. Can't afford the clutch bushings and roller's every 300 miles.

O
Feb 11, 2010
This is a very good thread however skidoo never pays attention. Dating back to the 1994/95 Summit....Beware The TRA ISSUE is nothing new.

The TRA requires the most attention out of all the manufactures hands down. Although very simple to make work and it's design is sound with exception of the CLUTCH HEAT..... Learning to manage the TRA clutch heat goes along way to a better operating TRA.

Bottom Line The Mass that buy snowmobiles and spend 10K plus want a worry free sled that doesn't require attention with the transmission las does theTRA.

Resolve the issue with the TRA and the Skidoo sleds become even better.

* ****HELLO, BRP THE TRA NEEDS TO BE PUT OUT TO PASTURE !!!****

OT

Last edited:

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
wow didnt realize there was so many people that felt this way about the xp, but i hope im glad with the M8 decision. we will see.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
If its so great why don't you pay him 10% above market ? Yeah i didn't think so !

6a00e398a4d21e000100f48ce62bcb0003-500pi

TOlsen

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Martin City, MT
I bought a used 08 163x this time last year. The first owner had just had the motor replaced under warranty. He also said he had clutching, gauge flash, rear shock and springs and recalls all done under warranty. He didn't like the chassis, so I got what I thought was a good deal, he bought a couple of 09 d8's. I just had to replace the hand warmers and I have a leaky oil tank. Pretty minor stuff imo. This sled has ran flawless for me, guess the original owner got the bugs worked out!

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
Out of the 9 sleds I have owned over the years my 08 XP is by far the worst sled for reliability and expense. I have nothing good to say about BRP. Owning a skidoo has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

I spent $15000.00 on the sled new price
blew 14 belts $2500.00,
3 Primary clutches one that I had to pay for when the sled was on warrenty $700.00,
1 team secondary and jackshaft kit $1050.00,
engine Brace $150.00,
thermostat housing $130.00
15 trips to 3 different dealerships 4 hour round trip drive each time $1200.00 in fuel
broken piston skirt + cylinder + head under warrenty
melted piston skorred cylinder and bad crank seal new short block $3000.00+

My wife telling me to buy a different sled = Priceless

BRP warrenty told the dealership I deal with that They would good will me a short block for the last blown engine only if I put $1000.00 down on a new 2011 e-tec
They also wouldn't take my 08 on trade and it might be worth around $6000.00

$23730.00+ down the drain and then they try to forcef&%k me into buying a new XP

Last edited:
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
9 people out of 107 have had an engine failure. Call me crazy but I think the "800R motor issues" are overhyped.

Don't get me wrong, my intentions are not to defend BRP, I am not brand loyal, just saying......let the statistics speak for themselves.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
hand warmers,shaft recall,harness upgrade tail light,replace rollers and bushings at 1600 miles,never blew a belt yet actually i still have the original belt 08 summit x,

poo"s,shocks,electrical probs,dealer probs,oh ya engine replacement but that's no big deal.

ac,run hot when new,tracks come apart,steering post break,just stop running and wont re fire,broke cranks.

seams like they all have probs,don't know anyone that rides a tank though.

5 arctic cat tow outs,3 were broke cranks all were m1000
4 Polaris tow outs,engine seizures
all with my xp and still didn't blow a belt.

thanks Paul,David,Rooster-built

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
9 people out of 107 have had an engine failure. Call me crazy but I think the "800R motor issues" are overhyped.

Don't get me wrong, my intentions are not to defend BRP, I am not brand loyal, just saying......let the statistics speak for themselves.

That is a BRP stat. Try calling a major engine builder in Quebec and have a little chat !

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
Out of the 9 sleds I have owned over the years my 08 XP is by far the worst sled for reliability and expense. I have nothing good to say about BRP. Owning a skidoo has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

I spent $15000.00 on the sled new price
blew 14 belts $2500.00,
3 Primary clutches one that I had to pay for when the sled was on warrenty $700.00,
1 team secondary and jackshaft kit $1050.00,
engine Brace $150.00,
thermostat housing $130.00
15 trips to 3 different dealerships 4 hour round trip drive each time $1200.00 in fuel
broken piston skirt + cylinder + head under warrenty
melted piston skorred cylinder and bad crank seal new short block $3000.00+

My wife telling me to buy a different sled = Priceless

BRP warrenty told the dealership I deal with that They would good will me a short block for the last blown engine only if I put $1000.00 down on a new 2011 e-tec
They also wouldn't take my 08 on trade and it might be worth around $6000.00

$23730.00+ down the drain and then they try to forcef&%k me into buying a new XP

not to be stupid or start anything or dissing you but why didnt you cut your losses and start over with a different sled before dumping that much money into it? Seems logical if you didnt like it from the start.

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
I can't afford to buy a new sled every year.

Some other issues I had were,
The handle bar warmers quit working off warrenty
the ring gear bolts came loose and the ring gear broke the rear motor mount and bent the starter motor shaft
the bolt heads rolled around in between the belt and the clutch sheaves putting about 500 gouges in the clutches (Both new clutches)
bolt head got stuck between brake caliper and rotor
2 new primary springs 2 secondary springs 2 helixes 1 set of ramps trying to keep belts on the sled blowing belt issue was aglinment and flexing
broken rear grab handle
fuel gauge never worked right would read empty when the tank was half full
Oil cap leaked oil all over under the hood
Oil tank gauge alarmed low oil when the tank was 3/4 full
installed slp flow rites in back of airbox cause it would bog in powder
tried 19, 20 and 21 tooth drivers
rear suspension would sag 3" with no one on it

Other than those issues it was the best sled ever

THANKS BRP

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
We have 2 09 XP 600 Etech two of use for patrol in the Black Hills. One has 5000 miles still with the original belt. The only problems have been a mushy brake and just recently the hand warmer quit. My sled currently has 7200 miles. I had a hand warmer quit and fixed under warranty, I replaced the first and only belt at 4700 miles. Several filters in the fuel system were replaced due to dirty fuel (our fault). The ported track failed at 5800 miles. Recently I have been having issues with the sled popping into the "limp home" mode especialy at wot. So far SkiDoo have not been able to find the problem. They replaced the ignition coil but I still have the problem.
Even with the issues I have had on my assigned sled I would gladly ride another XP next year when it becomes time to replace mine. I love the way it handles both off and on trail. The equipment we need fits well on the sled and the ergonomics fits me excellent which is important when I ride 5 days a week.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I can't afford to buy a new sled every year.

Some other issues I had were,
The handle bar warmers quit working off warrenty
the ring gear bolts came loose and the ring gear broke the rear motor mount and bent the starter motor shaft
the bolt heads rolled around in between the belt and the clutch sheaves putting about 500 gouges in the clutches (Both new clutches)
bolt head got stuck between brake caliper and rotor
2 new primary springs 2 secondary springs 2 helixes 1 set of ramps trying to keep belts on the sled blowing belt issue was aglinment and flexing
broken rear grab handle
fuel gauge never worked right would read empty when the tank was half full
Oil cap leaked oil all over under the hood
Oil tank gauge alarmed low oil when the tank was 3/4 full
installed slp flow rites in back of airbox cause it would bog in powder
tried 19, 20 and 21 tooth drivers
rear suspension would sag 3" with no one on it

Other than those issues it was the best sled ever

THANKS BRP

I would say you got a lemmon. But with all the money you dumped into you cuold have bought a new one.

Premium Features