• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

154" Owners

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I've had a 154/3 since it came out and after one ride I moved the limiter strap up one hole, to make it even more wheelie-ish (aka responsive to throttle and weight position). It's a party sled, even in just a few inches of fresh. Not the best for straight up pokes on the steepest faces, but you can make it work, once you figure out how to ride it. Definitely more athletic. And I disagree about the 2.5" tracks. My backup sled is an XM w/ a 2.5 and while it's fun to spin the track, and sometimes even an advantage, but not better on balance. I care the most about track performance when it's deepest. When I'm breaking trail in the woods and just barely making it, the paddle makes a huge difference. Would never go back. My best riding buddy has an '18/165 and it's plenty fun, but not the same. It's easier to hold a sidehill on it, but that's not my highest priority I'm 5'10"/170# though, so maybe the 165 would feel like a 154 to you.

I think a lot of it depends on the snow. THe bottomless, dry fluff, the 3" is king. On wetter, more setup snow, the 2.5 works pretty darn well. I've had a 14 XM 154 x 2.5, 17 G4 154 x 2.5, and now a 18 G4 154 x 3.0. The different pitch on the G4 makes the 2.5 on the 154 noticeably more capable than the 2.5 on the XM. It gets up out of the snow a fair bit quicker and just seems to hookup and perform better. The 3.0 changes the personality of the machine. The 2.5 feels more playful - the rear end can be broken loose when you want to adjust a line, it builds RPM quicker, it's just generally more of a dirt bike feeling than the 3.0.

The 3.0 is a tractor. It accelerates noticeably slower and when you have a line held, it's not overly difficult, but it's tougher to break and readjust. The 3.0 contributes a lot to the ski lift. As with any other length, you can go slower through the trees with the 3.0 and when you need it to dig in and pull you out it will just keep chewing until it finds something to hook on. In those cases, the 2.5 will just dig itself a hole.

Keep in mind, most of the snow I ride in is relatively wetter, more setup snow. I have both a 2.5 and a 3.0 for my 154. Both tracks have pros and cons, but I think I ended up riding the machine with the 2.5" track on it more than the 3.0. In my experience, the 3.0 is equally as capable as a XM with a 163 x 2.5.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I did the "fat boy" springs, cranked all the way up, then pulled the strap up 2 holes. Keeps the weight transfer in check so that you are putting the power down instead of doing crazy wheelies.

Do you know the part number for the "fat boy" springs?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
At 6.2" 220 pounds the rear cranked up and z bros rear link with valved Elka shocks for my weigh on the 2.5 track is seriously awesome. My better halve has a 3" track 154 and in certain conditions it will out do the 2.5 but the shorter paddle is way more playful.
I do not have any issue keeping up what you loose in traction is made up by manoeuvrability , the 3" will wheely more as well.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I went from a 153 Viper/155 Axys to my 165 Summit. I haven't noticed much difference besides the better flotation. Everyone told me the 165 was too long. I disagree however.. I love it. Its super fun, still pick up the skis when I have to, I can swing it around a tight spot super easy, and I feel like it holds a better side hill than a shorter sled.. Personally I don't see the point in going any shorter. Maybe if I wanted to have better trail handling traits or something.. but in the deep the 165 is where its at for me.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’ve watched Chadly on both his 165 and 154. I believe Toms on both which already helps keep the nose down. On the steepest and deepest climbs the 154 wheelies out bad. Hills he’s over in one shot on the 165 take multiples on the 154. He weighs about the same as your breakfast too Mike. I’m 15-20 lbs heavier than you and ride a 175 and love it.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I weigh about 205 rtr. Two seasons ago I ran a 165x3 and loved it for the most part. I did miss the playfulness of the 154. This year I’m on a 154x2-1/2 850. I love it. It has good traction and is very easy to throw around. I do have to ride the trees much faster to keep floatation and not get stuck, but it’s easy to do with the sled being easier to Throw around. The 165 felt like it pushed quite a bit where the 154 feels like it just wants to do what it’s told. I haven’t had a problem with wheelies. I set the rear springs on 5 and sucked up the limiter 1 hole. Also have the tmotion locked out.

Premium Features