• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 Free-Ride Cooler is Shot....

Use Belzona 1212, it’s a little pricey you can buy it online, we use it at work to repair live crude oil tanks (and I’m talking the big ones 120,000 barrels and up), I’ve patched many a cooler with this stuff, it’s a pretty incredible product, it’s more of a permanent fix than a patch when applied right

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Use Belzona 1212, it’s a little pricey you can buy it online, we use it at work to repair live crude oil tanks (and I’m talking the big ones 120,000 barrels and up), I’ve patched many a cooler with this stuff, it’s a pretty incredible product, it’s more of a permanent fix than a patch when applied right

Did a bit of googling, that's some crazy stuff. If that can't fix it, I don't know what can!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

Belzona 1212
http://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1212.aspx
Belzona 1212
Surface-tolerant epoxy composite for emergency
in-situ metal repair of oil contaminated, wet
and underwater substrates.

Good info... learning something new everyday.

Lower heat distortion temps make me wonder a bit...but I'd still like to buy some.

What is the cost, size, dispenser type (tub, syringe, single-use??) and where to buy it for the normal, non industry, consumer online or at a chain store? I cant find it in the USA for sale.

Last edited:
J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
THat Belzona is insane!

Adhesion strength 4105 psi (28.3 MPa) on transformer oil contaminated mild steel; 4100 psi (28.3 MPa) on wet mild steel.

On oil coated steel one square inch could pick up 2 tons!?!?!?!??

looks like it comes in 2 tubs and gets mixed 1:1. I'd love it if they sold ketchup packet full of the stuff...

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I’m gonna guess you probably wouldn’t want to get any on your fingers. Sounds like it could certainly be at least moderately hazardous to work with, which is most likely why it’s not available to the general public.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Cool stuff, but I'm finding it pricey and only through industrial outlets.

Saw some of the 1221 on ebay that in single use foil packs at $49 plus shipping.
But the 1221 doesn't have surface tolerance that the 1212 has.

I found some other industrial outlets... but no easy order places.
I'll probably stick with the Lords-406/Fusor for ease of purchase and cost... I have used it quite often... and had great luck with it... plus, it is used in OEM sled production and it is is removable with reasonable heat.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Some engineering thoughts on such adhesives....

I always wonder how these things fare when the piece of steel you attach it to (or even more so with aluminum) might grow or shorten a bit due to thermal effects. I doubt the epoxy's coefficient of thermal expansion is anywhere near that of steel. The spec sheet does not note it. I'm not sure what to think of the elongation under tensile properties. Is that 0.6%–0.76% the amount it can strain before rupture? For reference, mild structural quality steel is on the order of 20%. I also notice the Young's modulus for tension is more than 4x the compressive modulus (which is still Young's modulus as Young's or elastic modulus is only uniaxial in nature and does not specify direction). Regardless, that is some crazy anisotropic behavior.

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
Modern body panel glue is really good at what it does, if I had a pin hole in my cooling system/tunnel I would use a 36 grit disc on my grinder to scuff up 1 1/2" or so around the hole (3" diameter circle) then glue a 3" circle of aluminum over the hole, I'd scuff the aluminum patch as well. I'd test the body panel adhesive in boiling water before putting it on my tunnel to make sure it was ok with the temps it may see.

JB weld (the slow cure) is good to 600* F, but it's pretty brittle so I'm not too sure how much I like the idea of using it for a long term fix.

Body panel adhesive is awesome stuff. I use the pro-form since that's what the local supplier sells and it's a little cheaper than 3M. Works great for all kinds of stuff, I always keep a tube in the shop. I've used it on my cat to seal up the front cooler when I burned through welding it. Welded, but had some porosity, smeared a generous amount of panel adhesive on it and haven't had a problem, about 5 rides later now. That is some tough glue! works great on hoods, plastic, you name it. Just make sure you get the stuff for body panels, not for plastic bumper repair or "flexible parts repair" I found it doesn't seem to take like the stuff for metal panels

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
how does the cooler performs without snow directly on it?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

There would be pros and cons....

The positive side would be less potential for holes from rocks.

The negative side would be a likelihood of less heat transfer and cooling. In my opinion. But if the shield is aluminum (and directly in contact with the exchanger) it would still transfer a fair bit.

E
Jan 26, 2010
Russia, Siberia
how does the cooler performs without snow directly on it?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

That alloy shield is in direct contact with cooler, so we didnt get the heat transfer problems. Problems maight be actual on the hard packed snow. Lets see on it and will keep you informed. :juggle:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Some engineering thoughts on such adhesives....

I always wonder how these things fare when the piece of steel you attach it to (or even more so with aluminum) might grow or shorten a bit due to thermal effects. I doubt the epoxy's coefficient of thermal expansion is anywhere near that of steel. The spec sheet does not note it. I'm not sure what to think of the elongation under tensile properties. Is that 0.6%–0.76% the amount it can strain before rupture? For reference, mild structural quality steel is on the order of 20%. I also notice the Young's modulus for tension is more than 4x the compressive modulus (which is still Young's modulus as Young's or elastic modulus is only uniaxial in nature and does not specify direction). Regardless, that is some crazy anisotropic behavior.

What?

Words I don’t know the meaning too;
Coefficient
Modulus
Compressive modulus
Elastic modulus
Anisotropic

Last edited:
Premium Features