• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doing my first Top End whats the easiest way to get coolant out?

Mar 10, 2013
Hey guys I am going to Start pulling my top end apart and was wondering what the easiest way to get the coolant out is?

And if you have any Tips on anything else for a Newbie my ears are open!!

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
Two tips that I use depending on where the rebuild is happening. (Shop or out in the field)

If in the shop: Have the pipe and y-pipe off of the machine. I have a wet/ dry shop vac that I use for this. Turn the shop vac on and slowly remove the bottom coolant hose from the front of the engine. Let it vacuum all of the coolant out of the system. Very clean process.

Out in the field: Prep the same as above and also put a block of some sort under the mag side ski. This will make the coolant run to the PTO side. Put drain pan/pans under the pto side and remove the coolant hose slowly.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
Coolant

Use an extension on a shop vac and stick it down to the bottom of the coolant bottle, then open the bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing. It takes a few minutes but will eliminate the mess that your trying to avoid. After it drains down some you can pull the coolant hoses apart and suck most of the water out of the jug and water pump with the vacuum. Leftys idea works too!

-Bryan

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
buy hand pump that have 2 tube , then insert the tube in the coolant bottle, I can insert the tube in the coolant hose down to the water pump. Absolutely no mess cause you remove all the coolant of the engine

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Put new, clean antifreeze only use catch tray under sled, pull off hose from bottom of block, let coolant drip into tray.
To reuse coolant, put a shop rag over a container and strain antifreeze into container. Add to engine when done.
End result-no 1 hour trip to parts store for antifreeze, save $10 in truck fuel, free coolant catch tray and you save 10 bones in antifreeze every time you work on your engine.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
buy hand pump that have 2 tube , then insert the tube in the coolant bottle, I can insert the tube in the coolant hose down to the water pump. Absolutely no mess cause you remove all the coolant of the engine

In all ways possible, this is the cleanest way - no coolant contamination, no spills. You can do whatever, but you cannot make ShopVAC clean enough to avoid coolant contamination with crap. Then you haver to filter it, etc.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
In all ways possible, this is the cleanest way - no coolant contamination, no spills. You can do whatever, but you cannot make ShopVAC clean enough to avoid coolant contamination with crap. Then you haver to filter it, etc.

Lets see a pic of that pump so we understand- I have been uaing the shop vac- for years but end up always buying new coolant- and there is still a bit of the mess when you pull the lower hose.
Thanks

S/C

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I bought a small shop vac that I only use for coolant and reuse the coolant from that utilizing the same method that BMfab mentioned. Works really well.

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
So if you weren't reusing the coolant a guy could just adapt a small hose onto a shop vac that would fit all the way down the bottle and hose to the water pump and suck it out that way. I'm also doing my top end and could use some tips.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I have a version of the liquid vac. Works awesome for lots of things.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Syphon what you can from the bottle, hopefully enough to lower the level below the outlet on the head. Remove the hose from the head, insert a slightly smaller hose inside the outlet hose, then into a coolant jug or bucket, and use low pressure shop air to pressurize the engine block. Coolant will flow out of the engine into your jug/bucket.

Sent From God Knows Where...

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you guys are all dumbasses with the pump and vacs have you met gravity?
put the sled on the side with the coolant bottle on the low side. pull cap with bucket below and loosen the highest head bolt and let drain into the bucket. this takes the horizontal cooling loop and turns it vert. head bolt is now the vent. done.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
you guys are all dumbasses with the pump and vacs have you met gravity?
put the sled on the side with the coolant bottle on the low side. pull cap with bucket below and loosen the highest head bolt and let drain into the bucket. this takes the horizontal cooling loop and turns it vert. head bolt is now the vent. done.

i like the idea except for loosening only one bolt. i prefer to keep to the torque pattern.

Premium Features