• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KILLING PLUGS!! Help!!!

B
Mar 19, 2008
hay guys, it's the sauce man again, and i'm having some problems with my 06 RMK 900. now the last time posted a thread I requested some help on mods that I could do to give it more power and lighten her up. Well, I took a few suggestions I bought a timbersled airbox, a snowstuff rumblepack, and a clutch kit. Now, I am having trouble with keeping plugs, it seems they are carbing up, and it's getting expensive. Now, I tried cleaning my exhaust port and the guilitine now on a start up her RPM idles at 900 RPM when I tap the throttle she goes back to the normal 13 and 1400 rpm, then she seems to work fine. When the RPM's drop again there is a faint clicking sound coming from the console, from the gauges. When I try to put her in reverse she justs shuts off! I need Help!!!!!

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
is this happening after the sled is fully warmed up? i have seen the reverse functions act like that if the motor isnt warmed up, try blipping the choke immediately after putting in into reverse. might help.

B
Mar 19, 2008
no this isn't the problem, it is a cleanfire injection system , no chokeing system with this,, and it's doing it on start up, when it's warm or cold.

T
Jan 19, 2008
Hinton
Check the oil pump cable. They are famous for breaking and your oil pump will spring back all the way wich over oils the engine as a fail safe and fouls plugs.

S
Nov 29, 2007
Idaho
Sounds like the same problem my cousin had on his 06 900. He changed the tps=problem solved. I think the clicking noise was just the gauges re-setting, watch your tach, it will go all the way down and then re-set and i think that is what is causing the clicking noise. I could be way wrong......

B
Mar 19, 2008
o.k i looked up what a tps is and i can not see why that would be the problem, i have done nothing with the throttle controls.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
TPS..its usually 80% of the problem..from idling to bogging at higher rpm..

look at your throttle bodies..there is a small sensor on the exhaust side of the throttle body..that is the TPS (throttle positioning sensor)..they can be out of adjustment or the wiring harness will break, they have crappy wiring from the dealer..i would have the dealer use the digital wrench and check your settings..but i would replace the TPS wiring harness regardless (you have to remove your tank to replace though)
the wiring harness is not shown in teh parts diagram for the 900..get one off of an FST P/N 2203165 -$35

also if the reverse doesnt work (ie.. the motor dies) this IS your problem..

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Check the oil pump cable. They are famous for breaking and your oil pump will spring back all the way wich over oils the engine as a fail safe and fouls plugs.
Yep, that'd be my bet. The little connector between the throttle body and the oiler is a piece of scht... pain to get out too.

i will look in to that, but it seems to be another problem too, like what could the ckicking be in the dash
Hmm, could be something in the gauge, that's the only mechanical part up there. Sure it's in the dash and not with the engine? (Unplug the two connctors to the hood and see if it goes away...)

not sure what a TPS is , can someone explain?
Throttle Position Sensor. Black thing with a 3-wire connector on it on the exhaust side of the throttle body.

anyway to download that digital wrench program, i've been look for about an hour. with that i could do it my self.
Good luck with that.... lol... if you find a copy let me know. You'll need hardware to connect your computer to the sled too, i've started a few threads on obtaining information on that and there's virtually no data on that. Polaris keeps that stuff locked up tighter than a virgin.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
they can be out of adjustment or the wiring harness will break, they have crappy wiring from the dealer..i would have the dealer use the digital wrnech and check your settings..but i would relace the TPS wiring harness regardless (you have to remove your tank to replace though)
the wiring harness is not shown in teh parts diagram for the 900..get one off of an FST P/N 2203165-$35

Not really... the weak part of the wire is at the connector. I pulled the wires out and soldered new wire onto the pins, then cut the wires about 6" from teh connector and soldered them to the new wires. Total cost: 30mins and some leftover automotive cable.

I'd love to pull new cable between the ECU connectors and the rest of the sled, but that requires pulling the engine out.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
If you sled idles below 1000 rpm it doesn't produce enough voltage to run the gauges. It will go off and on and you will hear the clicking sound. Also your reverse won't work. this is normal. You have to find out why its idleing so low. this could be a number of thing and the most common would be tps or tps wireing.

B
Mar 19, 2008
k guys, thanx, for the input, i got a good feeling that it is the tps, or the ecu, so i'm off to corner brook tomorrow to get her checked out with the digital wrench at the shop. as allways this is a great place to get information.

Premium Features