• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for 01 summit suspension mods

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
I dropped the skid out of my tunnel on an 02 HMX 5 1/4" with longer drop brackets to run a 156x16x2.5 Camo Xtreme, front arm mounts down within an inch or so of bottom of tunnel, has worked great for several years, sled will go through anything, 16 year old son is still riding the he!! out of it.

015.JPG 018.JPG Doo in yard2.JPG Doo in yard3.JPG IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0031.jpg Front arm relocate.JPG

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
Wouldn't droping your whole skid like that change your attack angle, and make the sled trench through the snow instead of climb on top of it?

Maybe because you put a longer track with 2.5" paddles on it, you may not have noticed the trenching?

I know you said it goes through anything, but that goes against everything I have learned about track angle. (Not trying to ruffle feathers, just good discussion.)

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
No real change in his approach angle. Look at the pictures of the front and rear mounts. The front dropped about 1/2 of what the rear dropped. Angle stays basically the same.

Picture this. Take the 4 skid mounting bolts out. Now lift the back bumper up slightly. The front mounts will only change about 1/2 of what the rears will. Attack angle is the same. The track is still flat on the floor.

S
Oct 12, 2010
This would however pose a problem if you didn't raise up the front of the sled to match wouldn't it? Looks like you've done a little front end work to get it to sit that high?

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
By pulling the 4 rear skid mount bolts, and lifting slightly on the rear bumper, you are actually raising the drivers farther away from the ground. The track goes over the top of the drivers and back to the ground, so by lifting the drivers, you are actually changing the attack angle. Even though you are only lifting the drivers just a little bit, it still makes the attack angle on the track even steeper than it was in the stock position.

The attack angle might not mean to much on the trail in, but once you hit the steep and deep, the shallower the angle, the better the ride. JMO.

Premium Features