• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Video editing software

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
I'm looking for an easy to use beginner video editing software. Something that I can make little sledding vids with, you know add music transitions, effects. Stuff like that.

Can anyone reccomed a good program? I've tried some of the free trial ones from WWW.DOWNLOAD.COM but I'm looking for something better.

Thanks

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Get a Mac, comes with iMovie/iDVD.

My mom figured out how to do it in about 10 minutes.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
On a windows machine use windows movie maker, you can do all of the basic transitions and what-not.

PS the only reason people buy a mac is cause they can't spell PC. ;)

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
On a windows machine use windows movie maker, you can do all of the basic transitions and what-not.

PS the only reason people buy a mac is cause they can't spell PC. ;)

fyi, windows movie maker can not create dvd's and the output of dvd quality is in a different type and will need to be converted if used in another program for dvd authoring.

I use adobe premier elements, you can get the bundle of video and photo editing software for 100 bucks, not too bad.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
fyi, windows movie maker can not create dvd's and the output of dvd quality is in a different type and will need to be converted if used in another program for dvd authoring.

I use adobe premier elements, you can get the bundle of video and photo editing software for 100 bucks, not too bad.

Make the movie in movie make use your burning software i.e. nero to author the dvd

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
hmm, I didn't know that, but you are right.

My problem came from when I imported my video using movie maker and exported them into avi-type 1. This type is not recognizable by pinnacle software nor premier elements and needs to be converted again if more editing is to be done.

Thanks for the correction.

One note is that if you are going to be doing a lot of editing, a NLE (non linear editing) software is pretty nice to use. It allows for much more control and your original files stay intact as the nle use references to files.

Happy editing.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Sweet guys thanks.

I did like windows movie maker but I had the same problem. I couldn't burn it to a format that a DVD player wold play like dvd or svcd. But sounds like there is a way, gotta try what Sturgis Sledder said. Or a least dnld a free converter to make it burnable.

Thanks again!

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would check out pinnacle software, thats what I use to do some editing. Pinnacle studio 11 is what its called and to burn DVD's i use roxio but you can also use nero which is another good program previously stated.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
I have roxio, I'd like to use that if I can but have yet to figure it out. I have DVD-R disc's but my Roxio says to insert disk even thought theres already one in. Am I using the wrong thing or what.

This is a pain...

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
I have roxio, I'd like to use that if I can but have yet to figure it out. I have DVD-R disc's but my Roxio says to insert disk even thought theres already one in. Am I using the wrong thing or what.

This is a pain...

Do you have 2 drives? With the software you have to choose the burn location and you may be trying to select the empty drive hence it doesn't "see" the blank disc, is it a compatible disc some of the early drives had numerous formats.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
one drive, its a laptop.

but i did finally figure out how to burn to a cd-r using svcd format. works good enough for now. it plays in the dvd player.

I downloaded Ashampoo 6. It's a free burning software that I got from download.com
this is allowing me to do what my version of roxio would not. and thats movies. I'm sure nero is better but this was free :)

Thanks for all the help guys.

U

U turn

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Ardrossan, AB
Pinnacle Studio 10+ if you don't have Vista, Studio 11+ if you do. Fairly easy to make, render and burn(MP3, DVD, WMI) all in one program. Also has transitions, audio capability.

Premium Features