• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Review

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RNnMlHfeZso?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
What does it cost in relation to an EcoBoost? Thats about all I need to know right there.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Excellent review!

For anyone who doesn't tow over 7 or 8k it should be perfect. I can't wait to drive one when they hit dealer lots.

I like my ecoboost but sounds like it might get 50% better fuel economy then the ecoboost. I don't expect the same performance but it doesn't sound bad either.

Price wise it's the same or less then the ecoboost

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What does it cost in relation to an EcoBoost? Thats about all I need to know right there.

And now Ram is taking another leap, offering a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 in the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. The EcoDiesel adds $2,850 to the price of a Ram 1500 with the Hemi V8, and pumps out 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque compared to the Hemi's 395 hp and 410 lb-ft. In 4x2 configuration, the diesel can tow up to 9,200 pounds while the V8 pulls 10,450.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I hope they don't get in a big pi$$ing match with torque numbers like the HD trucks have done. I like the idea of moderately capable with the 25-30 mpg.

What suspension comes in it if you don't upgrade to the $1600 air ride system? And is it capable of much tongue weight for trailer towing?

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
I believe the 1500's are coil spring suspension front and rear for better ride as opposed to leafs. Not sure how they do when hauling big loads. Add a set of bags if needed?

As for cost, you can get them in the lower trim levels, I think he said base model tradesman with the Diesel starts at $27K, fully loaded trucks well over $50K. I know in this part of the country, despite what MSRP is on any of the big 3, you can usually get the Dodges cheaper than comparable Ford and Chevys.

I'm not in the market for a truck, and If i was it would be another 2500 or 3500 because of the weight and frequency in which I tow. For the average weekend warrior, these new trucks seem to fit the bill nicely.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The engine isn't what makes a pickup expensive or economical....trim level does that.

The hell it doesn't. A diesel is roughly an $8,000 add-on to the base price, regardless of trim level, on the heavy-duty trucks. Its no different with this. Its an upgrade over the base model, and I want to know what it costs as opposed to the $1,000 more for an EcoBoost.

It will have similar power levels and get similar fuel economy, so how long am I going to have to drive it before spending the extra several thousand (I am assuming) on the diesel and at an increased fuel cost fo $0.60-0.75?

What I'm saying is the power levels you get with this aren't so much greater than the EcoBoost to justify the cost at marginally better fuel economy.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
And now Ram is taking another leap, offering a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 in the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. The EcoDiesel adds $2,850 to the price of a Ram 1500 with the Hemi V8, and pumps out 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque compared to the Hemi's 395 hp and 410 lb-ft. In 4x2 configuration, the diesel can tow up to 9,200 pounds while the V8 pulls 10,450.

So its another $1800 over what an ecoboost costs for the SAME power output, and you're paying $0.60-0.75 more per gallon for fuel.

So, we'll read about how these things get 96 mpg from people who buy them so they can sound cool because they won't be willing to admit it only gets marginally better fuel economy than the newer gas motors do :)

I'm not buying the hype on this one.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Correct me if i'm wrong, the EcoBoost will run on 87 but 91+ is reccomended for towing or hot weather environments? The difference between premium and diesel isn't $.60-.70 where I live, maybe half that.

From the owner's manual:

3.5L V6 EcoBoostTM engine
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty applications such as towing a trailer."

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Here's as close as a direct comparison as I could make. Both Mid level trim packages SLT and XLT. Both Crew cab, 6.5' box, only options added are the engine, 4x4, and tow package.

Ram is a 2014, Ford is a 2013 as I couldn't locate the builder for the new models. Should be similar in price.

Seems like a wash to me, pick the one you like better and roll with it.

2014 RAM.jpg Ford Eco.jpg

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Here's as close as a direct comparison as I could make. Both Mid level trim packages SLT and XLT. Both Crew cab, 6.5' box, only options added are the engine, 4x4, and tow package.

Ram is a 2014, Ford is a 2013 as I couldn't locate the builder for the new models. Should be similar in price.

Seems like a wash to me, pick the one you like better and roll with it.

I just drove home today, 87 unleaded was $3.02/gal and No. 2 Diesel was $3.99/gal.

Same power output, similar up front cost. Unless the fuel economy is wildly better on the diesel, I'd take the EcoBoost *shrug*

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
Even though I really like Dodge trucks I think it was a stupid move to use the VM diesel instead of the cummins. I would sooner buy a cummins powered Nissan once they release them, more power from the factory and likely will be more aftermarket support for the cummins.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Dogmeat, you really don't want this half ton diesel to work well, do you?

I just think that with today's diesel prices its basically a gimmick since you can get a gasoline powered truck with similar power for the same price or less and ultimatley have it cost you less in the long run.

Bottom line, the fuel economy on it is going to have to be absolutley phenomenal for it to pay out due to the cost of diesel vs. gasoline.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
What will you get towing a 4 place enclosed with an Eco boost? About 9? I would be willing to bet you could easily get 13 with the diesel. Now let's drive for 2000 miles. Withe current fuel prices where I am, that equates to nearly a 100 dollar savings going with the diesel. Then if you really can get 26-28 on the highway think of your savings then. Don't be jealous that ram is the first to get a diesel, I bet if ford had one you would be all over it. You also have to think about the eight speed tranny, that had never been in a pickup befoe and is really gonna help with efficiency and power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarson80

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Valley City, ND
The hell it doesn't. A diesel is roughly an $8,000 add-on to the base price, regardless of trim level, on the heavy-duty trucks. Its no different with this. Its an upgrade over the base model, and I want to know what it costs as opposed to the $1,000 more for an EcoBoost.

It will have similar power levels and get similar fuel economy, so how long am I going to have to drive it before spending the extra several thousand (I am assuming) on the diesel and at an increased fuel cost fo $0.60-0.75?

What I'm saying is the power levels you get with this aren't so much greater than the EcoBoost to justify the cost at marginally better fuel economy.

I just bought a new ram 2500 diesel...yes, its an 8,000 option...but there is a $20,000 price range after picked the diesel option for other options.
The hell it does.
Have you ever priced out a diesel pickup? About 40,000- about 65,000. All the same engine.
Every diesel powered pickup costs 8,000 more than a gas powered pickup?

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I just bought a new ram 2500 diesel...yes, its an 8,000 option...but there is a $20,000 price range after picked the diesel option for other options.
The hell it does.
Have you ever priced out a diesel pickup? About 40,000- about 65,000. All the same engine.
Every diesel powered pickup costs 8,000 more than a gas powered pickup?

In fact I have. I bought a 2012 Ram 3500 with the Cummins last year even :mmph:

I am also under absolutley no illusion whatsoever that its saving me money.

And yes, I would offer that amongst all three heavy duty diesel options, they are all roughly $8,000 over what the gasoline base motor will run you if you get an automatic transmission to go with it. I think Dodge is the only one you can still get a manual in a diesel, so that cuts a little bit off that price.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i here a lot of people talking about how awesome the 8speed auto will be, but with the reputation dodge has with automatics behind diesel engines not holding up very well i think i'd give it some time before I'd be makin any assumptions how great it will be. there's a reason they're the only truck you can get with a manual anymoreand obviously its not because the majority of people want one or the others would still offer one.

i will give dodge credit for stepping out of the box and atleast offering a light duty diesel, although i agree they probably would do better if they stuck with the 5.0 cummins. hopefully gm will release the colorado diesel in the u.s. soon, I'd like ta see how the little truck would do especially if you could turn it up some might be a fun little truck.

Premium Features